Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mint dip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenhagen Forever

My son uses Grizzly Mint and I aim to get him cook'n. I'll be splitting the 8 oz. I have cooking now with him so he can experiment with Mint. I bought some menthol crystals and I have peppermint oil. For sweetness I thought Splenda would work. There is a severe lack of info on the web on this flavoring. I found one;

"Mentol Solution - menthol crystals were dissolved in Everclear at a ratio of 2c. Everclear to 30 grams menthol crystals. Then left to dissolve.

Inital test - Then using a ratio of 20-40-40(menthol-mint-wintergreen), 10 drops menthol, 20 drops mint, and 20 drops wintergreen were added to 1.5 oz(1 can) of copenhagen mix(from below) that had been aging in a tub.

Results - It can definitely be tweaked some, but I actually kind of like it.(A first so far) Very close to Red Seal or Skoal wintergreen. I may lighten up of the menthol a little, but I'll have to play with it when I have more time to tweak the ratios. Menthol definitely gets rid of the bitterness of the other two as long as too much menthol is not used. Otherwise, it's like sucking on a Hall's ice cough drop. I haven't used it as a substitution in the "Skoal" recipe below yet."

Anybody have a thought on how you would go about it?

RyanM22

I don't remember the mint dips as having much of a tobacco flavor. I'm interested to see if you can achieve that with stronger tobaccos like Burley or Dark Air. I'd stay away from Splenda, though.

Copenhagen Forever

us tobacco ingredients

Red Seal Long Cut Mint

Water
Tobacco
Salt (Sodium Chloride)
Natural and Artificial Flavors
Sodium Citrate No Sodium citrate may refer to any of the sodium salts of citric acid (though most commonly the third)
Ammonium Carbonate Yes baker's ammonia
Ammonium Chloride No inorganic compound with the formula NH4Cl and a white crystalline salt that is highly soluble in water
Sodium Carbonate Yes
Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose No It is often used as its sodiumsalt,
Sodium Saccharin
Preservatives
Ethyl Alcohol

Looks like they use Sodium Saccharin for a sweetener. They use to sell it in pills in all stores.
All us tobacco mint flavored products have the same ingredients.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Just buy concentrated mint flavoring from LorAnn oil. As for a sweetener get yourself some pure Sucralose powder. Splenda is a combination of a tiny bit of Sucralose with a boatload of maltodextrin and other fillers added to it.

Copenhagen Forever

I got the Essential Oils brand of peppermint oil were going to try and I've already got the menthol crystals so That's going to be the first experiments. Yesterday I went through getting my son started. I divided up the dip I've been cooking for 3 days and gave him some kind of starting point. He'll be buying some Everclear or something similar for alcohol. As far as sweetness goes, he's opting for sugar. I remembered the brand name of the saccharin "Sweet and Low" and I can still buy that anywhere. I looked up the pure Sucralose powder. Looks like I'll have to order it on line. If he gets serious about making his own dip, I'll buy him some. Thanks for the tip.

Smokin Harley

if you have an Aldi store near you , you might try to find some artificial sweetener there in the baking aisle . I'm not sure off hand what brand or what the sweetener is but I think it might be a safer one than saccharin since they recently advertised they are going all organic.

Copenhagen Forever

I tried making some up myself the other day and let it sit for a couple. My son works hard at this time of the year. They fish lobster offshore and will be going hard until the northwest winds step up for the winter. Anyway, I bought some peppermint extract which has 91 percent alcohol and mixed up a solution.

2 Tbsp peppermint extract
1/2 tsp menthol crystals
Then I took 1 oz of my batch # 10
Added 30 drops of the solution
1/8 tsp splenda

I don't use mint dip but I have tried kodiak mint and this mix I've made might be a good starting point. I'm not going to buy the right kind of sweetener. Like I say, I don't use it.
My son said that he bought some alcohol but I'm just waiting for him to get back to me. He's been using grizzly mint for years. When he gets back to me I'll post his results.

Smokin Harley

I believe I have just accidentally made some fine tasting "dip"
I've had this small plastic jar of scrap leaf (wrapper ,binder, orphan leaf from cigars,previously botched cavendish attempts,etc)for over a year. Its been in a jar that I was hoping to have made pipe tobacco but I got it so full of toppings to flavor it , it won't burn...so guess what. The Altoid wintergreen lozenges i dissolved in moonshine and Honey Jack (about a 1/2 cup total liquid volume)had gobbled up about 18 of the little candies and smelled like a fine wintergreen liqueur. So , I took this virtual scrap and added a little of the glycerin, stevia ,some licorice flavoring and about a tablespoon of the wintergreen liqueur . Laid out the tobacco on my board and rocked my chaveta over it numerous times to make a bigger than long cut chop texture. Packed up a lip full just now and wow, it tastes great. Its got just a little of that dip burn without it needing to be spit out too fast,with a cool wintergreen flavor thats not too overpowering ,but a nice buzz . Just wondering if I should add some salt to it so it doesn't mold. Like I said , its accidental. I'll probably never be able to recreate it again. Got another smaller container with peach birddog whiskey flavoring that hasn't molded since I made it over a year ago. But at least now I think I can at least use it up.

Copenhagen Forever

I'm looking at preservatives. the snus guy here http://creatinker.com/swedish-snus/
his addins is for 2.2 pounds of dry tobacco flour.

• 1 – 2 gram benzoate. This is a preservative.
  • Propylene glycol or Glycerol, the recommendation is 3% or 30 gram per kilo snus. Preservative and enhance flavor. Glycerol is thick and sweet and often used in sweet food like ice-cream, cookies, candy and beer as it prevents mold and fermentation, also called propanetriol or glycerin.

Copenhagen Forever

propylene glycol is kind of cheap. $5 for 16 oz. benzoate is cheap to 1.7 oz for $4
wikipedia doesn;\'t say that
Propylene glycol is glycerin like this guy is saying.

Smokin Harley

I have to say (basically a post test report)
It kept a buzz going for quite some time. its 5 pm now ... , its just now wearing off, an hour in.

Copenhagen Forever

It's good you can tolerate different flavors of dip. I can't do it. I actually used copenhagen wintergreen for 3 days and that was it.
Looks like sodium benzoate is the scary stuff. I was reading that the FDA and a few others associations say it's ok but it reacts to certain metals and citric acid making a cancer causing agent. I don't know. I'm gonna check out the other stuff. PG

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
propan.gif

Propane

The two humectant compounds differ by an OH (hydroxyl moiety)

glycern.gif

Glycerin has 3 OH

propgly.gif

Propylene Glycol has 2 OH

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.