Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kasturi x Amersfoort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu

Well at the time of getting the seeds from the seedpods I had no other plants even remotely close to flowering, and whilst sowing, these were the only ziplock bags I've opened and have sown. The soil I got straight out of a store bought back of potting soil. Thousands of seeds went into the little pots. While most were very molded, I was hoping that some seeds in the very corners of the ziplock bags might still be okay. I think the change that it is indeed Kasturi x Amersfoort it quite high. I have no idea in what way it could be anything else. The only thing that troubles me is that there is much less genetic variation within the experiment this way...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
And hopefully, the mold has not released gibberellins into the soil. That would cause sudden stem elongation (and death) of the seedling. (Or, since gibberellins can also function as a germination stimulant, maybe gibberellins from the mold caused that one seedling to germinate.)

The tension is palpable. Will the final contestant be voted off the island? Stay tuned.

Bob

Tutu

I'm hoping some other contestants will still join on the little island. For now it looks like the mold from the seeds has not done much change to the soil but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Tutu

Since a few days there have been two islanders. Although I'm dissapointed that the only two seedlings I've got came from the same F1, I'm very happy to have two, rather than one. The seedling from the unknown ziplock bag passed away. I'll take extra good care of these two guy.

DSC_0061.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

And hopefully, the mold has not released gibberellins into the soil. That would cause sudden stem elongation (and death) of the seedling. (Or, since gibberellins can also function as a germination stimulant, maybe gibberellins from the mold caused that one seedling to germinate.)

The tension is palpable. Will the final contestant be voted off the island? Stay tuned.

Bob

I was watching The Nature of Things a couple weeks ago. I don't know if you're familiar with the series. They were covering invasive nap weed. Nap weed roots release chemicals which act like hormones and inhibit the growth of its neighbors. Some scientists on the show had done research where they grew nap weed in pots alongside a model plant. In some pots, they mixed activated charcoal into the soil. In those pots, the model plants grew as they would be expected to if nap weed were absent. In the pots without charcoal, the model plants hardly grew at all.

Tutu

Bad news, both have died. One sooner than the other, but in they end they suffered a similar fate.
I've dried the other little buckets one more time and wetting them to give it one last shot.
On the side, I will be growing F1 again. This time I'm going to make sure both KxA and AxK grow to adult plants.
However, it's been tricky to get any plant to a reasonable size over the past few weeks.
I hope I manage to get some of them going.
I also intend to make a few new crosses.

Charly

Sad news... I feel sorry for you...
I wish you good luck with your new trials ;)
Don't give up ;)

Tutu

I think this will be the end of it somewhat. The original crosslings don't germinate too well. I'm considering to start the crossing experiment anew. I'll include some tobaccos with clearly visible traits to see whether they are inherited in different ways, crossing both ways. I'm trying to germinate my White Stem Burley seeds but they don't seem to be willing. I'd cross the White Stem Burley with Nostrano del Brenta for instance, or with something else. So for now I think this will be the end of this thread and I will start another once the time has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.