Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Another batch #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenhagen Forever

I got 12 oz's of burly processed and BigBonner sent me a sample of some air cured to try. Nice aged stuff he marked 2011. I got 2oz out of that and I'm using the last 2 oz. of my 4 year old fire cured. I'm hoping to get good results from the air cured sample. Just before I joined here I bought air cured from another company and it had a annoying sweet taste to it. Probably because it was last seasons and had not sat long enough. I'll need to get some more fire cured. BigBonner's got some dark fire cured and I think that I read somewhere that burly red tip is fire cured. What do you guys buy for fire cured?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Burley is whole stalk air cured .Three leaf position on each stalk. Bottom leaves are called Flying's ( Trash ) , Middle is Lugs ( leaf ) , top two to five leaves are red tips . Assorted by leaf color
The tag on the sample may have said Dark Air . It is different tobacco than burley . Used for Chew , pipe , snuff , snuss , cigars .
Most KY dark varieties can be either plain air cured or fire cured

Copenhagen Forever

Ah, That puts it together for me. I don't think that I've come across that information before. The tag did say "Dark air cured still hanging in barn 2011". I'll be waiting a couple of weeks before I put an order together. My son is experimenting with the dip and the mint I gave him. I should know if he's going to try cooking. In that case we will have a double order and split the shipping cost.

Copenhagen Forever

3 days later- 2 jars come out 2 jars go in. I backed of on my salt cooking and sodium carbonate. The alkaline taste seems to linger more than 2 weeks. I'm using my batch #10 now and when I first started using it I could taste it but it's starting to drop off now. Either that or I'm just getting use to it. I don't have the white plastic covers yet. I saw a picture someone posted with a jar covered with a coffee filter and that what I did. I'll start letting my stuff breath. Probably have to add moisture.

Copenhagen Forever

I stopped the second part of this batch short at 48 hours. I stirred the batch and it looked done. Nice dark chocolate brown.

DSC05628.jpg

Now I've got what's equal to 50 can of store bought dip. That's $8.70 in the store and equals $435.00. MAKE'n MONEY:cool:. 50 will last me 100 days but I want to freeze some. So I'll probably freeze 2 of these and cook some more. They're all still breathing out in the fridge. I aim to stir them up after a week and adjust the moisture. I'll be looking at preservatives so I can store without freezing but for now being able to put a few away for a rainy day is good. My wife it quite frugal and for me to be able to save that kind of money, well, she's pretty happy about it.
Thanks guy's

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm impressed. Nearly $1600 a year.

I am vaguely aware that, after almost half a century of smoking cigars, I can no longer afford to smoke decent cigars if I have to buy them. Learning to create excellent finished tobacco is a good feeling at many levels.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Hope you keep rocking new recipes, would love for someone to rediscover cope

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
50 will last me 100 days but I want to freeze some. ..... I'll be looking at preservatives so I can store without freezing

Dam.. That's some serious consumption, one jar every 2 days. Your freezer is probably the best bet for preserving based on the large quantity you make. For preservatives I use salt and vegetable glycerine. It is probably not the best preservative in the world but I can keep my dip un-refrigerated for at least a month with no mold growth.

Smokin Harley

I stopped the second part of this batch short at 48 hours. I stirred the batch and it looked done. Nice dark chocolate brown.

View attachment 19517

Now I've got what's equal to 50 can of store bought dip. That's $8.70 in the store and equals $435.00. MAKE'n MONEY:cool:. 50 will last me 100 days but I want to freeze some. So I'll probably freeze 2 of these and cook some more. They're all still breathing out in the fridge. I aim to stir them up after a week and adjust the moisture. I'll be looking at preservatives so I can store without freezing but for now being able to put a few away for a rainy day is good. My wife it quite frugal and for me to be able to save that kind of money, well, she's pretty happy about it.
Thanks guy's

Ok, this is the first I've seen of it ....whats the purpose of the coffee filters ?

Smokin Harley

Dam.. That's some serious consumption, one jar every 2 days. Your freezer is probably the best bet for preserving based on the large quantity you make. For preservatives I use salt and vegetable glycerine. It is probably not the best preservative in the world but I can keep my dip un-refrigerated for at least a month with no mold growth.

where do you find the vegetable glycerin? I looked in the grocery store (but I was looking in the baking needs aisle), can't seem to see it.

JeffBB

I couldn't find at the store either; I ended up ordering some on Amazon.

Smokin Harley

I usually do a Google search for it like JeffBB just did. Lots of places sell it.

I found some today at the organic store by us. Just got a small bottle for now ... how much of this stuff do I need with (kosher , non-iodized I'm sure?)salt per ...pound of leaf?
Lady there asked if I needed help looking for anything and when I said Vegetable glycerin she took me right over to the shelf by the essential oils. then asked what I was planning to use it for...you should have seen the look on her face when I said for making chewing tobacco.

Copenhagen Forever

I got the same look from the pharmacist. I took a look at the label to make sure it didn't say arsenic.
I use 2 tsp. for 8 oz (tobacco) batch but I end up adding another tsp. or more till it looks it wants to start balling up.

Smokin Harley

so then, what youre saying is , more than likely 1 tsp veg glycerin per pound to start and then its by looks.
Yeah when I said I grew my own tobacco and this is for making chew she gave me quite a surprised look. Most people probably think growing tobacco is illegal. That's usually the first reactionary statement I get . Then I have to educate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.