Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DIY corn cob pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

First : congratulations for your DIY corn cob pipes ! they look really great !

Greenmonster, if you have never tried a cob pipe, I recommand that you buy one, they give another flavor to your tobacco, in my opinion they "sweeten" the smoke.
Some tobacco smoke differently depending on the material (and the shape) of your pipe, that's why it's a good idea to have different pipes, so you can try which tobacco smokes best in which pipe :)

Since each type of tobacco can "ghost" the pipes in which it is smoked, it's often recommanded to have pipes dedicated to different types of blends, for example : for Virginias, for Virginia/Perique, for english blends, for aromatics, for burleys...
This way you can better taste your tobacco :)

It's all a mater of personnal preferences, but some tobacco seem to give better (or more) flavor in cobs, while others prefer briar or other material.

The great thing about corn cob pipes is that they are good and cheap... and even cheaper if you do it yourself :D
And they smoke good without a need to build a cake inside (the firsts smokes might be a little raw but they become good in no time)

Planter

Got a question about cobs though. I've read a lot of reviews and sometimes folks try a tobacco in lets say a briar pipe and don't like the blend. Then they throw it in a cob and suddenly they like it. Does the pipe really make that much of a difference? I notice a big difference between a new pipe and one caked up. Of course the one caked up always tastes better to me. Am I missing something?

I (and, from what I have gathered, others) find that Burley / Kentucky (earthy, somewhat bitter) goes really well with a cob. Corn cobs are also lightweight. I have a MM MacArthur Churchwarden, and for being so big a pipe it is still a pleasure to use outdoors. It absorbs a lot of moisture and smokes therefore very cleanly, normally I can use it at least twice without having to wipe the bowl out (another advantage outdoors). I got a second one since I was told some fairy tales that latest after a total of two dozen bowls it will become unabsorbent and eventually burn out . After several years, there's no sign of that.

greenmonster714

I (and, from what I have gathered, others) find that Burley / Kentucky (earthy, somewhat bitter) goes really well with a cob. Corn cobs are also lightweight. I have a MM MacArthur Churchwarden, and for being so big a pipe it is still a pleasure to use outdoors. It absorbs a lot of moisture and smokes therefore very cleanly, normally I can use it at least twice without having to wipe the bowl out (another advantage outdoors). I got a second one since I was told some fairy tales that latest after a total of two dozen bowls it will become unabsorbent and eventually burn out . After several years, there's no sign of that.

Thank you for the input Planter. Those MacArthur pipes look pretty cool.

Rather than spend good money on a single cob pipe, consider this grab bag of seconds from Missouri Meerschaum: http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

Everyone I know of, who has purchased the grab bag, has been happy, so long as you don't have your heart set on one specific model.

Bob

I saved this link a while back when you posted it in another thread. Looks like a great deal but I don't think I need that many of them. I have been buying some pipes on ebay lately and have 8 so far. Searching and bidding on pipes has become a little bit of an obsession lately. I don't want to end up with 45 pipes and not use half of them. I can get 2 or 3 nice corncobs for less than ten dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.