Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whelp first crack at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffBB

New at this, but all the posts and Copenhagen Forever's help made it seem less daunting.

50g Burley
30g Bright Virginia
20g Paraguay Flojo African Viso (the description just sounded yummy)[h=1][/h]8g Salt
8g Sodium Carbonate

The cook is done and in a mason jar with a coffee filter.

Now I have to figure out a way to wait two weeks.....

Copenhagen Forever

Good! I'm glad you put some together. Paraguay Flojo African Viso sounds interesting. Maybe we'll crack the code if we keep pounding away at it. Trying different types of tobacco might make that subtle taste of copenhagen come out.
Wait the 2 weeks if you can. It does make a difference especially with the alkaline taste. Definitely addicted to the taste, I had to quit copenhagen "cold turkey" so I was dipping my stuff an hour after it was done. What I'm making here is so close that I was able to switch over my taste buds. I'll let you peek in my freezer and see...

DSC05629.jpg

This is my last- full- unopened $8.70 can of copenhagen and I don't want it! I'm free of the monkey:rolleyes:

I do a lot in the way of blackpowder firearms work and one of the sites I frequent sell old style dip cans. I'll share this with you guy's.

DSC05630.jpg

The can's come in 3 different materials. This one is brass, they have copper and nickel silver too. I bought a brass one here in the pic. It's meant to put a whole can of dip in it, slightly larger in diameter and a little taller. I took a buzz grinder with a sanding pad and took 1/8" off it rim so it has a lower profile in my pocket. The alkaline attacks the brass so I coated the inside with beeswax. It has to be redone once in awhile but it's worth it to me. I want to try the other 2 styles to see if they will hold up against the alkaline. The nickel silver sounds interesting.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/106/1

Smokin Harley

not sure if you can do it with brass, but I used to receive "Muzzleloader" magazine years ago, had all sorts of cool mountain man ,fur ,trap and trade era projects. One was a copper mug (like the moscow mule cups they sell now) they showed that if you "tin" the insides of the cup the copper doesn't impart any off taste to the intended contents and might have had something to do with the metal being affected by acids as well. Might be something with the brass to try if you have any to experiment on.

JeffBB

[COLOR=#333333 said:
I had to quit copenhagen "cold turkey" so I was dipping my stuff an hour after it was done.

Wouldn't the high PH, burn the mouth lining?

Love that tin! I'll have to pick up a copper one.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have a competitors lab analysis of Skoal and Copenhagen where they are deconstructing the recipe of these 2 products and showing how much of what ingredients are being added, what is in there naturally and what kind of leaf plus percentage lamina / rib. I need to send it to deluxe to host. Would be great to have a step by step small batch recipe for enthusiasts.

JeffBB

That sounds awesome Smokes!!!

I did a small taste today.

One thing stumps me. I also cooked a Squezzy Ettan clone, and it already tastes like Ettan, no sting or burn. Mine while it has the same proportion of salt and Sodium Carbonate, has a burn to it.

Does anyone know why this would be?

Copenhagen Forever

I thought the burn was from the nicotine. I could taste the alkaline but I had absolutely no skin come off inside my lip from using it early.

squeezyjohn

It's not necessarily a taste - but an effect on the lip. An alkali will feel kind of soapy on the lip and if it gets too high will also sting to a degree (this becomes less if you are accustomed to it). The taste on the tongue is normally slightly salty due to the sodium or potassium base that they contain and it often has the effect of releasing ammonia or chorine gas from the tobacco substrate so you may smell elements of urea or swimming pool.

All of these are indicators of alkali through taste.

Copenhagen Forever

I got a funny story about chlorine gas. I was diving for sea urchins with a friend of mine on his old wooden boat. There was 4 of us. My friend, also diving, a diving tender which runs around with a skiff (that we haul along with us) and a culler that stays on the powerboat and goes thru the urchins and picks out small ones. The boat is all closed in to hold heat as we run a propane heater.
We had anchored the boat and got suited up. The Tender brought the skiff around and I was loading on my tank and weight belt.
My buddy John says to the Culling guy "You know how to start the boat if you need to?" "No" he says. [John] "You just turn the key on and push this button".
BOOM! John came off the floor 3 inches because he was standing on the battery compartment hatch. There was a fire now. John removes the hatch and grabs a bucket full of sea water. As he's douching the fire I'm thinking to myself -What is it about salt water and battery acid. I yelled "CHLORINE GAS" and the whole cabin filled with yellow/green smoke.

JeffBB

Hey Cope,

Both batches taste snus like.

The Ettan clone really tastes like Ettan.

The Paraguay Flojo makes the batch taste more robust, richer, and has even more of a chocolate flavor. It also seems to have more nicotine, but since I just tasted them back to back, it could just be because of that. I didn't add any cocoa powder to the Paraguay batch.

They both have a slight bitter taste, the Ettan version a little more, which I am assuming is from the carbonate. This is only 3 days out from the addition of the carbonate, so I hope in a week or so, this will go away.

If not I may add some honey, just a little, since it is acidic to neutralize the bitterness.

I just received my fire cured, and Bakers Ammonia, so you can probably guess what is up next!

I am going to try to not grind that batch as fine.

I am also wondering what a cook with a temperature ramp up would end up tasting like.

Lets say 3 days right under pasteurization, then ramp up to 185 for 24 hours, or until dark colored. I'm curious if the lower temperature will bring out more flavors.

Copenhagen Forever

I don't know if everybody grinds up there tabacco the same. I case the leaves, pull the main stem and then almost every vein to. The really small ones, I leave. I've been having good luck with a coffee grinder. I cut all my stem material with scissors about an inch long so it fits in the grinder. I grind that stuff. most of it comes out fine like powder. There are chips and larger stuff. I take out the big ones that refuse to grind and save aside. The leaf parts grind fast. Only 3 quick burst in the grinder. I take all the stems I set aside and grind them and I have no waste at all. My consistency is very close to the real thing.

Copenhagen Forever

Here's a comparison;
My stuff is on the left, It's kind of wet. Copenhagen on the right. It's dry from sitting.
DSC05634.jpg

There is a few bigger pieces but it's close.

JeffBB

Quick update. Tried the Flojo blend this morning, and the bitterness is diminishing. I only tried the Flojo blend, and I have a nic buzz. I chew 1/2 can of cope a day and never get a buzz, so I wonder if cigar leaf has a little more oomph.

I may try making a cope blend substituting the dark air, for some ligero and see what happens.....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.