Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

nicotine is a organic pesticide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackavally

i was exparmating with tamato plants and different growing midume i found that ciggret buts were good as well as perlite. even batter thay hold water longer so water less and the nicotine helps with deturent for pest like horn worm, chench,black fly,is it the tar or the nicotine next time you juce the plant or press the plant save the juice and spray a garden veggi or frute to see if the nicotine has the results were looking for. thanks and good luck:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Mac,

As you may have guessed from my posts I am an old fart. When I was a kid (1930's/40s) my Dad used a then commercial product called "Black Leaf 40", now banned. It was primarily nicotinic oxide. He used it along with water and cod liver oil (as binder) on all our fruit trees and grapes. Today I keep a 5 gallon bucket (with a lid) about half full of rain water and throw all my tobacco scraps in it. It produces a dark brown liquor of undetermined strength that I spray on my tomatoes and tobacco as necessary. It seems to work just fine and since it's just tobacco juice I don't reckon it hurts anything except the bugs.

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
John,
Keep two things in mind. Tobacco pests eat nicotine for breakfast, so if you try to use a nicotine pesticide for tobacco hornworms, you may (if you get up in the middle of the night and listen carefully) hear them partying on the bonus swill.

Secondly, the neurotoxin of concentrated nicotine liquid is quickly absorbed through human skin (or stomach), and can be rapidly (minutes not hours) fatal. Watch out when you handle it, and keep the kiddies well away from it.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John,
Keep two things in mind. Tobacco pests eat nicotine for breakfast, so if you try to use a nicotine pesticide for tobacco hornworms, you may (if you get up in the middle of the night and listen carefully) hear them partying on the bonus swill.

Secondly, the neurotoxin of concentrated nicotine liquid is quickly absorbed through human skin (or stomach), and can be rapidly (minutes not hours) fatal. Watch out when you handle it, and keep the kiddies well away from it.

Bob

TNX Bob. WILCO Seems to work tho. I wonder why? Maybe just wishful thinking?

John

Hakamo0o

I extract nicotine from tobacco using paint thinner, dilute it with water and ethanol and spray it. the problem is it must be a fresh extract to have a killing effect, ideally 3-4 weeks old max

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hakam,
The use of paint thinner seems like you are adding potentially toxic (and often poorly identified) chemicals to the extract. How safe do you consider that to be?

Bob

Hakamo0o

Hakam,
The use of paint thinner seems like you are adding potentially toxic (and often poorly identified) chemicals to the extract. How safe do you consider that to be?

Bob

UNSAFE for sure, that's why I am using it with only decorative plants

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Got this recipe some where. Maybe Seedman? One teaspoon tobacco dust, one teaspoon black pepper, half teaspoon liquid soap to one gallon of water. Strain it and spray it. It has to sprayed directly on the bugs though. Just hitting the leaf won't work.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Got this recipe some where. Maybe Seedman? One teaspoon tobacco dust, one teaspoon black pepper, half teaspoon liquid soap to one gallon of water. Strain it and spray it. It has to sprayed directly on the bugs though. Just hitting the leaf won't work.
Just flip the butt in a can of water, and when it is black--- spray with it.. I do it, don't have bugs..

Status
Not open for further replies.