Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

1792 (Cob) Flake Snus/Chew Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffBB

Back when I had free time, meaning before children, I would enjoy smoking a pipe. This was my favorite smoke, and I am curious if it could be re-created as Snus/Chew.

Anyone have any ideas?

70% Virginia
30% Dark Air

Or

50% Virginia
50% Dark Air

Vanilla to substitute for the Tonquin?

The contents mention Dark Fired, but I don't remember it having a smokey flavor.

"1792 Flake is a full-strength, mellow tobacco comprising a blend of dark-fired Tanzanian leaf. It is Gawith's best-selling premium grade flake. It starts as 7 lbs. of hand stripped leaf and goes through a steaming process prior to being pressed. The cake, having been prepared, is wrapped in a select leaf and packed by hand into a 12 inch square. This cake is pressed and left for a minimum of two hours. Then, the pressed cake is placed into a steam press where it is baked at full heat for two to three hours. The baked cake has then taken on 1792's characteristic rich, dark color."

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
There's only one thing that tastes like Tonquin and that's Tonquin. You can buy the beans on Ebay and probably other places. You will have to experiment a bit. I've crushed the beans and soaked them in water. I've also soaked them in alcohol (Everclear). As for the Dark fired, they probably just add a tiny bit so they can add it to their description. Sounds a little more exotic that way.

squeezyjohn

Can you get Tonka beans in the USA now? I thought they were banned for the ridiculous reason that they contain high levels of Coumarin (the main ingredient in their scent) - and that sounds like Coumadin (the trademark for rat poison Warfarin) ... literally banned by someone in government's ignorance! ... and you thought we were mad in Europe?

Coumarin is the chemical that gets released a few hours after grass is cut and gives that 'new mown hay' smell. Tonka beans have the highest concentration of it in any food-stuff, but it also is present in the herbs Bison Grass (used to flavour Zubrowka vodka), Meadowsweet and Woodruff. I gather the last two in the summer and dry them to use as flavouring in my tobacco experiments.

If you do get tonka beans ... be very sparing ... one bean can simply be left to infuse with a kilogramme of snuff and the scent it imparts can still be overpowering!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Can you get Tonka beans in the USA now?

My guess is that yes you can. This is based on the large quantity I ordered off Ebay a few years ago and I live in the USA.
As far as infusing, I broke one up into about 4 or 5 pieces and put it into a jar with tobacco. After a month or so there was no Tonka bean flavor in the tobacco. I think better results might be had by hydrating the broken bean and then adding it to tobacco.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The reason coumarin is banned is because, in even modest quantities, it is hepatotoxic (liver damage). This is true of all sources of coumarin. I've gone through the published dosing studies (including human studies), which also take into account the coumarin quantities that are present in small amounts from many common sources. If you consider cinnamon as your major coumarin source, then you can safely consume no more than about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon per day. Typical cinnamon buns exceed that amount (and cinnamon buns are now being regulated in Europe).

[The similarity in sound between coumarin and coumadin is not the reason for the bans in Europe or the US, although it confuses a casual reader.]

High doses of cinnamon will lower blood sugar in Type II diabetes. Yay! This is an effect of the coumarin it contains. BUT those doses are hepatotoxic. Boo!

With regard to coumarin in tobacco, it's not a toxicity issue if it is burned and smoked (i.e. pipe tobacco). Where it becomes a problem is when used for oral tobacco preparations.

So, for JeffBB, using natural vanilla extract, in place of Tonka bean extract, would be a much safer approach to flavoring an oral-use tobacco, and will do your liver a favor.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.