Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Big project on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

Well I went and did it. I bought (tentatively) myself a lot of work. The wife and I just had an offer accepted for the lot below (226) that has a small tear down house on it. It is just over 1 acre so we will have lots of room for a garden and some baccy once I cut a few trees down. Lots of plans and I will post to this thread as stuff starts happening but don't expect daily updates. The projected move in date for the new house is June 2018. Of course all this is assuming that no one throws a monkey wrench into the purchase.
Pete

View attachment 19536

Nice big lot. We did a new build here in 2011. They will make revisions to your contract along the way, just make sure they don't omit any of your important things. We had to say on top of them a few times. Your lot is very spacious. Take lots of pictures, it makes them nervous enough to get everything right :) Good luck, and have fun! Find out what's required for any out buildings ahead of time? I'm sure you already thought of that :)

DIY Pete

Nice big lot. We did a new build here in 2011. They will make revisions to your contract along the way, just make sure they don't omit any of your important things. We had to say on top of them a few times. Your lot is very spacious. Take lots of pictures, it makes them nervous enough to get everything right :) Good luck, and have fun! Find out what's required for any out buildings ahead of time? I'm sure you already thought of that :)

You are correct Dave. Having the owner on site inspecting stuff on a daily basis, as long as you aren't an A-hole, will keep them on their best behavior. I used to work for a GC building houses and the owners that were on site regularly and brought food occasionally always got the best work done.

I'm not too worried though, the GC I have at the top of my list shoots in the lane next to me at Bullseye (pistol) League. He has been building for a lot of years and won't screw over a fellow club member. I won't get a special price but I can be sure they won't cut corners.

Pete

(PM sent on another topic)

DIY Pete

So it's official we closed on the property yesterday. As soon as the Christmas holiday is past it will be time to get to work. I expect that this will be the last time I will have a short to do list for the next couple of years.

Pete

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
not sure how much a surveyor is in your area but just for the piece of mind down the road with what could be some greedy neighbors, have it done professionally. At least then there will be a backup (on paper) to your own findings. Some day when you have that fence put up , believe me , one of the neighbors will come unglued thinking you're putting in on "their side of the property line" , call it second hand experience. My parents have a neighbor who never speaks to them and when they had the fence put up ,they immediately called dad out on it. He already knew where the pins were but the neighbors hired a surveyor to "prove them wrong" well, they did sort of . Dad talked to the surveyor and even offered to show him the pins ,said it'd be the easiest money the guy made . He'd already found them. Turned out my parents fence was still 7 inches on their own property from the line.
Sounds like you got yourself a lot of work up ahead.

i agree... my family land im on... has been told to me that the neghbour is actually on 10' of what it our property... but it would take a lot of cash to prove it and they been established like that since the 70's....plus thats a lot of chain link fence to move over 10'

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i dont think you stated it.. but are you going to build a new house there, after demolishing the one thats there now ??

or go with a mobile home,?

DIY Pete

Building a new house. The plan is to have it dried in by the end of the summer and then I will finish all the inside work over the winter.

Pete

DIY Pete

Ok we finally got the word press site up and running. I am not going to update this post a whole lot but I will bump it on occasion if we have some major progress. If anyone is interested in following the progress you can go to

https://sdpia.wordpress.com/

Of course comments on this thread are always welcome.

Pete

DIY Pete

Lots of stuff happening on our house project.

Above is the link again in case anyone is interested in looking. I have made a lot of updates to the website showing our progress. We ran into our first major problem a while back. I haven't posted it to the site yet but I will soon. The first set of plans came in way over budget so we had to start from scratch which means we won't break ground this summer. The wife and I also decided that we are going to do all the building, only bringing in contractors when we can't handle the job. The radiant floor heating in the concrete slab would be a perfect example.
Pete

greenmonster714

Great looking project. Man I've always wanted one of those shipping boxes to play with. My idea was to dig into the hill and shove it up in there and cover it up. Then do something like your doing. Only mine would be a root cellar/tornado shelter/work shed.

DIY Pete

Great looking project. Man I've always wanted one of those shipping boxes to play with. My idea was to dig into the hill and shove it up in there and cover it up. Then do something like your doing. Only mine would be a root cellar/tornado shelter/work shed.

It's been fun so far we'll see if I still feel that way at the end of next summer:rolleyes:. If you do get a Conex box be sure to check the specks. The roofs aren't designed to take much weight. When you see them stacked up 5 high all the weight is transfered down thru the corner posts. I am going to be working hard on getting it wired so I can get the A\C installed soon. It's been hot working outside this summer.

Pete

Charly

This is a lot of work ! I wish you good luck with your projects :)
You have already done a good work with this container ! Congratulations.
Don't loose your motivation and it will be fine.

Brown Thumb

Lots of stuff happening on our house project.

Above is the link again in case anyone is interested in looking. I have made a lot of updates to the website showing our progress. We ran into our first major problem a while back. I haven't posted it to the site yet but I will soon. The first set of plans came in way over budget so we had to start from scratch which means we won't break ground this summer. The wife and I also decided that we are going to do all the building, only bringing in contractors when we can't handle the job. The radiant floor heating in the concrete slab would be a perfect example.
Pete
the radiant floor heating is easy, I did all my own in the concrete basement and garage floors too.
Lots of info on line. Jacob was like 2 yrs old and helping me unroll the coils in his diapers.

DIY Pete

the radiant floor heating is easy, I did all my own in the concrete basement and garage floors too.
Lots of info on line. Jacob was like 2 yrs old and helping me unroll the coils in his diapers.

We are doing a slab on grade and I am going to have the coils put into the concrete. Then we will stain the concrete and have that as the finished floor. If I was going to put it on the bottom side of sub-floor between the joists I would do it myself.

Pete

webmost

Dude. Those things in his diapers? Those aren't heating coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.