Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Having a rough cold day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Wife left for work this morning. Its a high of maybe 25*F today. Before she heads out the door she asks if I can get the Christmas tree out of the garage attic and put up (Its just the top section of a pre-lit tree because we have 3 labradors that will knock down a full size tree.) so our house looks more like we actually celebrate the holidays this year. I thought I knew where it was ...
After 2 hours of looking in nearly every box in the attic (found the expandable playpen we'll need for when after the pups arrive, they start motivating)
Then,I found a box of magazines I forgot about (found an old outdoor magazine that had my kids posing with their morel harvest that day. They were pretty little still)
I found a stash where a resident mouse has been stealing my dogs food and apparently saving it for this cold winter,along with some shredded paper, wool socks and a few old hunting hats.

One would say the day was going ok until...

I sat down to try to roll some cigars for my distilling friend . First roll upon opening the leaf and getting a bunch put together , the binder all but crumbles to pieces in my hands. I case the rest and rebag it. Todays not a rolling day.
Then the mailman brings my cast iron tobacco chopper I bought on ebay the other day for $35 (dumb ass me tries to take it apart to sharpen the knife ,and I end up knocking off a piece of the casting in the bottom....then 5 minutes later I'm reassembling it and I crack the keeper wedge in half that holds cutter assembly and base together) After muttering a few words at myself ,I terribly cobble it together with some muffler repair tape. Its not pretty but,it'll work ,but if I ever decide to sell it , I might get 10% of what I paid for it.
Took my poplar cavendish press out of the kiln, the sides weren't just pushed out from pressure. As the wood absorbed the black sweet juice, the wood swelled up and warped outward,cracking at one of the screws holding it together.
At least the tobacco mini bricks that I extracted look and smell great. They're back in the kiln drying out.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
JB Weld is the cure for your plug cutter.

By the way, your Illinois vortex is reaching down here overnight. I thought I had the surveyor mark out the boundaries clearly, but here comes your vortex, barreling into my Virginia yard. Tomorrow morning, when it's about 15°F, I'll have to get my car to start, so I can drive my brother and his wife to catch their flight to Hawaii. (The Universe is not an equitable place.)

I've gone out to the well pump house, and cranked up the heater.

My holiday decorations consist of a single string of battery operated LED lights running down the vertical wrought iron on my porch. (I purchased them years ago, to decorate my tent while spending Christmas eve at Phantom Ranch, after hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Adding two D-cell batteries to a backpack makes a noticeable difference in the weight.)

You might consider getting a few strings of battery operated LED lights, mounting them on dog harnesses, and have your Labs be the decorations.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Casper, Wyoming hit -33°F at 1pm today. Maybe that's why the population of Wyoming is so low. Maybe that's why Dick Cheney always gritted his teeth.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
A balmy 35 today in VT. Took the kids out to play, smoked a pipe, baked a pineapple upside down cake to follow the turkey soup. Kids are in the bath tub now with mom turning them back into little angels. Guess the world isn't an equitable place at all:)

indianjoe

Founding Member
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please keep yours cold weather nawthward, we do not want its down here.

Smokin Harley

lol, Indianjoe...my parents live up in Guntersville ...they ain't too happy about whats coming to them either...they retired to get away from this stuff and it followed them.

Smokin Harley

Today went much better. Had a filling replaced this morning and while I was waiting for my face to regain feeling I did some stuff in the garage. Still cold,but not as windy . yesterday I cut some wood for the whelping box and today assembled it in the house. Rolled 10 cigars for the distiller guy. Had a small bowl of homegrown Madole cavendish. The tobacco chopper works despite the damage I did .

riverstone

Today is good so far. Run the dogs and watched my baccy grow. Had breakfast on the deck and watched my baccy grow. Mowed the lawns and watched my baccy grow. Had lunch (marinated mussel and celery sandwiches,don't knock till you try it) and then, you guessed it, I watched my baccy grow.
We have had two days of showers and temperatures around 26*c. The baccy is at that stage where it is just leaping away and this weather is really helping it along. You can almost watch it grow.:cool:

Smokin Harley

We are on a winter storm watch from this afternoon to sometime Monday . Expecting upwards of 10 inches. Buying the neighbors snowblower as soon as he gets home . Until then, I have plenty of tobacco things to play with today.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
No snow here but it's getting chilly. 8 degrees now, truck is not going to like starting up.

riverstone

I shouldn't have been so quick to jump in and have a bit of fun.:rolleyes: Today is 14*c with 40mph winds and showers. I went to the shooting range today for our Xmas BBQ and we had it inside and lit the pot belly stove. How quick things can change in the spring! The good thing is that my baccy is sheltered from this wind and has survived really well. Weather looks the same for the next couple of days, here's hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.