Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

It'S Gold

Copenhagen Forever

If you ain't need match of those plastic "snus containers" I perhaps could send some. I have alot of them. I clean them and filling them with new oral-snuff.. Just send me a pm if you need a few
I do appreciate your offer but I can get plastic cans from my son anytime. He uses grizzly. I'm still using the brass cans I bought. I'm looking for a can that's unique that I can refill. The inside of the brass can is blackening but no ill effects yet.

Copenhagen Forever

I guess I'm hooked on BigBonners tobacco now. I just put in a sizable order and I'm getting a kit of cigar rolling tobacco from him also. If I can keep cooking now, I can have enough to cruise thru the summer during the lobster fishing season. This batch, if you didn't catch it, didn't have any fire cured in it. I used Larry's Maryland in it's place. It came out so good that I would blend it again without thinking about it. This batch also gave me confidence in trying other blends of his tobacco.

RyanM22

I do appreciate your offer but I can get plastic cans from my son anytime. He uses grizzly. I'm still using the brass cans I bought. I'm looking for a can that's unique that I can refill. The inside of the brass can is blackening but no ill effects yet.

I'd switch out that can as soon as you can. I was using a gold tin can (though with no lining) which worked great. But after a little while, it started to blacken. I didn't notice any difference, but after a few days it ruined the dip with a nasty rusted taste.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I absolutely love the grizzly cans with the impervious to alkaline metal lid and plastic tub, I actually bought the dip just for the can. Dip was good though too:) it was the "straight" which I think means straight sugar and not straight tobacco as I believed, but it was really good so no complaints. It's lasted like 2 years now, refill from the frig and gtg. Very well made.

ArizonaDave

I absolutely love the grizzly cans with the impervious to alkaline metal lid and plastic tub, I actually bought the dip just for the can. Dip was good though too:) it was the "straight" which I think means straight sugar and not straight tobacco as I believed, but it was really good so no complaints. It's lasted like 2 years now, refill from the frig and gtg. Very well made.

I wish I had never gotten rid of my extra cans now, but they were taking up space. I had them all washed and stored. This past week, I ground a bunch of scraps into about a pound of flour.....still have a bunch more scraps from both Don and Larry. I prefer the Cigar Liguero's in chew because of the carbs in cig. and pipe tobacco, so I find ways around it. Good thread.

Copenhagen Forever

I'd switch out that can as soon as you can. I was using a gold tin can (though with no lining) which worked great. But after a little while, it started to blacken. I didn't notice any difference, but after a few days it ruined the dip with a nasty rusted taste.

Oh Jez Ryan now I can taste metal in my dip.
I had to go buy something for now.
DSC05704.jpg
The paper labels don't come of easy. There slightly smaller than a dip can.

BlazedUp

I also use a metal (copper) dip can just like yours. These cans are not designed to to be in direct contact with the dip. They are designed to be used with the lower section of a standard dip can placed inside of the lower section of the metal dip can, (I use a cardboard Copenhagen can). That's why threre's a sticker inside the upper section of the metal dip can, to protect it from coming into direct contact with your dip. I have been using mine this way for a few years now with no blackening or off flavors in my dip. Hope this helps.

Copenhagen Forever

Ya BladesUp, I realize that. If I'm not mistaken, I explained that when I posted about the can. I coated the inside with bees wax but it still got under and started blackening. I ground down the lip of mine so it had a lower profile and felt better in my pocket but mines a loss now. It won't fit a can inside unless I trim each can.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You could probably buy some super thin stainless steel foil of E-bay and line your can. I had the same problem a few years ago. I found a place selling little stainless steel hinged boxes that were about the same cube as a standard dip can. Really nice!

Edit: Something like this would work nicely to line a dip can. This is .004, which is the thicknesss of a sheet of paper. I'm sure you can find a smaller quantity if you looked- http://www.ebay.com/itm/316-Stainle...964657?hash=item1a08c037f1:g:dBMAAOSwAvJXAyNr

Last edited:

Copenhagen Forever

I will be looking into one of those stst boxes. Stainless is the way to go. The material you linked to is also a good idea. I only see a problem cutting it with nice crisp edges. I am not sure tin snips would cut that stuff cleanly. 316 stainless isn't that hard, I might be able to grind a straight line with my dremel cutoff wheel.
Thank for the good idea. I'll give that some more though.

Copenhagen Forever

DSC05724.jpg This works better than the pasta shredder. In case or dry, it packs the tobacco to the front and comes out pressed and ground. A little hard cranking when it's pushing it thru but really makes up for it in the oven by drying faster.

DSC05725.jpg I even shoved the stem in and walked it to'er. This made a HUGE difference in how it goes thru the coffee grinder (after drying). The stems went to flour with 2- 5 second burst, no unground pieces, just flour. I'll be using this all the time now.

Copenhagen Forever

Hi Jeff. Over my years of using copenhagen, I thought the sweetness varied from one can to the next. Some times I had thought that there's no sweetness at all and other times there has been something, like you say subtle. In the ingredients that u.s. tobacco gives us, there's no mention of sweetener like there is in there other products. I just assumed that it was my taste buds playing tricks.
Now that I'm making dip I realize that there is a sweetness coming from the dark air cured and it varies from lot to lot that I buy. This sweetness, just after the cooking is done is almost annoying. It makes the taste of the dip like "vintage tuesday". If you try kodiak natural, skoal natural or longhorn you get that annoying sweetness. The first batches I made were half dark air cured, I said to myself, this ain't it. I backed off on the dark air to 1/8 part and that works good because what ever causes that annoying sweetness goes away in the 2 weeks breathing and chemical cooking and I get just a very subtle sweetness.
I have a pound of dark air that is strong annoyingly sweet. I made a batch with it at 1/4 part and even after the breathing I could barely choke it down. I did use the dip up and by the time I was almost done with it the taste had disappeared or I got use to it. I've been using it in my latest batches but only 1 leaf at a time to make up a 1/8 of a batch only.
I think that the dark air sweetness isn't because of different strains or anything like that, I think it's how long it's been in the barn. Age. My last lot that I bought, I asked BigBonner for the oldest stuff he had and it's really good for this dip. I bought a small ball jar that will fit in the next cook with the 2 larger jars in the crock. I will be testing a 7/8 part burley 1/8 fire cured in the little jar and see what comes of it.
Good luck with it.
Joe

Copenhagen Forever

Another thing too. I noticed that my dip would rather stick to my fingers when taking it out of my mouth. I use very little dip at a time and don't spit so I just take it out with my fingers and set it down till it dries out like a little poodle ****. Anyway, it will stick to my fingers and make a mess. I was checking a snus recipe for the amount of glycerin and he's using 3%. I'm getting 26 oz. out of two ball jars after cook and in hydration. 3% comes to 4.58 tsp and I'm only using 3 tsp. I'm going to up my glycerin. That too, will add to the sweetness.

squeezyjohn

Yep - sugar levels in tobacco have a really profound effect on how they make a snus/dip, and they're really variable. Ageing doesn't make the tobacco sweeter ... flue and sun cured is much sweeter than air cured though. Some air cured is much sweeter than others too ... I think it's to do with how fast the leaf cures.

Most of what I make is home grown and cured, I tend to cure rather sugar-free tobacco which can be a little bitter ... this is the reason I use liquorice root extract in a lot of my recipes. Liquorice root or powder in low doses adds a natural sweetness without using sugar. It's aromatic quality normally enhances the tobacco taste. Glycerin, Propylene Glycol and most alcoholic spirits will also add sweetness to a batch.

bsthebenster

I want to give a HUGE thanks to Copenhagen Forever. I've been meaning to make a complete break from cigarettes for quite some time now in the hopes of just dipping exclusively, but I just couldn't fork up the $750 a month it costs to dip a can a day here in Canada. You could have very well saved my life, good sir! My wife (who might get to keep me around for longer than she otherwise would have, thanks to your thread) and I are more than appreciative.

I also wanted to chime in to say I just finished making a wintergreen dip with this processing method (with a different recipe, of course) and the finished product is perfect. I've sunk quite a bit of time and money into failed experiments just trying to make a usable (let alone enjoyable) finished product but this time it turned out great. I used the soy sauce recipe from the howtogrowtobacco.com forum (although I cut the amount of liquid smoke that I used in half). The only thing I did differently from the instructions in this thread is that I added the washing soda before I put everything in the slow cooker, rather than after. Not for any particular reason; I just wasn't paying attention I suppose. So just in case anyone was wondering, this process will work to make a flavoured dip.

Copenhagen Forever

Hey guys, Just wanted to stay in touch. My newest venture which I'm cooking now. 75% Burley 25% Mata fina and tomorrow (day 2 of the cook) I'll be adding a couple of drops of Geranium oil and ever so lite on sweetener. Mouth watering!
All my Burley was dry as a bone. Stripped the center stem then ground the leaves and stems separately. Ran everything thru the coffee grinder. Took me about an hour. I've become less picky about the consistency. A few pieces of un ground stem add character. I cut back on the sea salt to 2 TBSP. in 3 cups of water too. I'm learning that I got to sneak up on the taste of cope.:cool:

Bsthebenster; This is good. I did the calculation on how much I save. 1 store bought 1.2 oz. can of Copenhagen = $8.60. My homemade .66 cents.:confused: