Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Quick and easy snus like product

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ok, I try all your recipes and I experiment some too, but this is an experiment that turned out good so I will share.

I wanted to try something that is stored as powder and hydrated shortly before use to eliminate any concerns about things that might happen in storage or the need to store in any particular way. I've also noticed a trend of nicotine seeming to decrease over time in fully made products. Most of my batches have been meh going down this road, this one turned out nice and it's only 3 days old, I started noticing the really pleasing barnyard aroma after the end of the second day.

The mission is to have a product that you might hydrate as you're running low on the previous batch to have it ready a few days later.

The tobacco used this time was red tips, but I want to try the next batch as dark air as that seems overall a better tobacco for smokeless use. The ingredients are:
Tobacco flour
Water
Salt 10% of flour
Washing soda 10% of flour
Bourbon

Process:

In a big bowl separate ribs and lamina of tobacco that hasn't been toasted in any way, just left out in a dry area until it shatters when handled. Take the ribs and the veins and grind them to a powder. We want this fine, but not snuff grade fine. Sieving through a common metal kitchen seive or a splatter guard is perfect. Repeat with the lamina and regrind anything that doesn't go through the seive. The idea is for it to allow moisture to flow through it reasonably freely but still be able to pack.

Take your salt and soda and add to a clear glass and heat up a teapot. Add just enough water to where everything can go into solution. Mix and let sit until water is clear again, add more boiling water if it isn't clear within a few minutes. In this batch I used a single packet of splenda to counteract any bitterness from the lack of a cook, not sure it was necessary though.

Mix water into the flour while still hot and mix it good. I mix with a fork inside a small jar, alternating mixing and shaking until all the flour is hydrated. At this point it should be crumbly and very hard to form a pris or anything. Let it sit for an hour or overnight to be sure water is all soaked up. If it's very dry still I'd add more water, but I'd want it to still be on the dry side.

After resting, drizzle bourbon in while mixing until it gets to the moisture level where you can form a pris. This is a bit coarser grind so you'll never get a rock hard pris like with a fine grind but that's fine, it's what this recipe is after, and it's not an accident, I did a lot of tests trying to get the right seive, not too fine or coarse, plus we specifically use the ribs because we don't want the mass to be able to compact to tightly, saliva has to be able to flow through it without too much trouble.

So, don't try it right away, it'll burn for another day at least. When it stops off gassing quite so much feel free to try it. Mine stopped gassing around beginning of day 2, I'd shake it and smell periodically.

I use Kim Wipes as a snus pouch, if you have access to these they are great, like a Kleenex but it has about the same cohesive strength as a teabag. Upper deck it's the same as any snus, lower deck it's the same as any super fine cut dip. Aroma is great. The whiskey melts into the background but certainly adds to the end experience. Could probably add any spirit to change the flavor.

It doesn't extract too fast that it gives hiccups in the upper deck, in the lower you'd want to spit.

Hope you guys get a chance to try it, if you do, do a small batch as it's meant to be fresh, and unrefrigerated.

Read post #7 below.

Last edited by a moderator:

jojjas

what is a "pris"
It´s an very old swedish expression for a little ball of snus , to put in under your upper lip
20161212_171913.jpg
Form a little ball to the desirable size and shape and put it in your upper lip , and if you got thing´s right you could have it in for 4-5 hours

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Scratch the part about no lip burn heh, it's gotta rest just like any other recipe I guess:)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That batch is in the frig now, it was losing too much moisture with the filter cap. I caught it in time to where I won't need to do anything about it, but unless it's real humid wherever the jar is I won't try that again.

Copenhagen Forever

You have quite an experiment going on there. Cuttin edge stuff. When I use the filters, I scooped out the batch into a bowl and rehydrated after a week. It took about a 1/4 cup of water, maybe a little more to bring it back. Opening the jar after a week, the dip appeared- some dry flake at the surface but moist. I packed the dip down when it first went in.
If I had turned the jar over and dumped out what was dry and loose, I probably would have got something like a baby jar lid half full. I guess my fridge is moist. I didn't think about it. My auto defroster is almost running straight out.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The recipe in post #1 didn't result in a good product, use this thread as an example of how not to use your time or tobacco. While not terrible, I won't be making it again.

RyanM22

The recipe in post #1 didn't result in a good product, use this thread as an example of how not to use your time or tobacco. While not terrible, I won't be making it again.

A few comments/questions:

First, what was wrong with it?

If you're worried about your stored dip going bad, the only thing that I could see killing your batch would be a REALLY high natural sugar content. If you're going to use Bourbon, that's just another safeguard against anything growing on your dip.

What kind of tobacco did you use? I didn't see any specific kind mentioned. Fire cured goes excellent with Bourbon, IMO.

With the method you used, you really missed out on the critical aging (weeks, even months).

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
It just wasn't as good as a cooked product. From the flavor to mouth feel, to possible heartburn when compared to snus in the same amount of time. The objective was to get a competing product in less time but I don't see it as being able to compete.

The spinoff recipe for the pressure cooker while only a slightly longer prep time so far is head and shoulders above.

I had considered another possibility but never tried it due likely to it resulting in being less efficient, that of doing a cook without the alkalizing step and dehydrating it again to be stored in a dry form for later rehydration with alkaline water or in the dry stage mixing a mild alkaline powder for it to be hydrated in the mouth (which is how I think they do dry portions)

But yeah, as is it just didn't strike me as being as good all things considered.

As to tobacco, it was burley, same as the first PC batch I have in now which is much nicer in flavor and softer on the lip.

Copenhagen Forever

Sorry that this didn't come up to your expectation. Actually I had your two threads mixed up. I was thinking pressure cooker when I posted here.
I learned somewhere that tobacco continues to ferment after it is cured and when cooking snus, the heat from cooking ends the process. Maybe that had something to do with the taste changing while in the fridge. Seemed like you liked to before it went in.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah snus stops some enzyme action but also covers some new reactions like maillard and possibly caramelization which are there after the cook but not really detectable until it ages. That's what happened with the PCC, it didn't really smell like anything after the cook but over days it started smelling good and just kept maturing. That is what I'm hoping will happen again here, because when I smell my Cavendish I just want to eat it:)

You weren't confused about the threads, the processes were totally different so I split the documentation into two threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.