Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Papaya's Little Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabel

Hi all,

As some of you may know, we do not only grow tobacco but have planted several fruit seeds of which some have grown quite big already.
As it is now the rainy season and the humidity is extremely high we do not need to water them so often. Therefore, I am not checking them every day but usually once in a while to see how their doing.
The fruit plants that grow very fast are our Papayas. They differ in size and stand all together in the same spot so it is difficult to tell which branches belong to which Papaya plant.
The other day I did my round of inspecting all the plants and decided to take a closer look at all the Papaya trees to see how many we actually have.
What I then found was very surprising! In one of the smaller pots with Papaya trees was a tobacco plant growing!

In the first 3 pictures you see the tobacco plant in the pot with the Papaya. The tobacco plant is quite high. Higher than most of our other tobacco plants with the same amount of leafs.
It was probably reaching for the sun as it was growing in the shade of the other Papayas. As it is quite a healthy plant, except for the weird looking second leaf, we transplanted it to a big pot. I am very curious how it will mature.

The question now is what variety is this tobacco? We planted the Papaya seeds in our old house before we moved to our place now. They were probably planted in soil where this tobacco seed remained. This probably either one of the three Timor Leste varities or one of the varities that Bob sent us.
It is a pity that in a week I won't be at home for two weeks so I am not able to monitor its growth during these weeks. But I will keep you updated on how it will grow the coming time! Let's find out what variety this is..

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I used to grow papayas in another life, I haven't even eaten one in close to a decade now. Gonna have to see what kind of inedible produce they pass off as papaya the next time I'm at the store. Thanks for popping those old memories back into my head with those pictures:)

The tobacco plant looks spoiled now, and it looks like you caught it at a great transplant size, it should turn out nice.

Tutu

Trying to help Isabel out with transplanting our "little friend", I forgot to water it after transplanting.
It's amazing to watch how plants seem to completely loose life, then all of a sudden with a little water be fresh and kicking.
It's now safe and sound in the garden. The top layer of the container is cocopeat, which is very light, so it doesn't press too much.
At the level where roots are starting it's a mix of good potting soil and a little cocopeat.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

Isabel

Well, we came home yesterday and found most of the small fruit trees still alive but in desperate need of more space. Especially some of the Papaya trees.
As for the tobacco plant found in between those Papaya trees the following pictures show its status.

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

Unfortunately, the plant is growing with some malformations.. The structure of the leafs is a bit rough and the roughness is more darker green of colour.
Can anyone explain or has an idea about what this is?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, it looks like tobacco mosaic virus (TMV): http://www.ipmimages.org/browse/subthumb.cfm?sub=6948&area=62

5259100.jpg

Since it's just a single plant in pot, I would suggest destroying the plant (poor baby), and discarding the soil in the pot. The pot should be disinfected.

TMV can be viable in cured tobacco, and transmitted by your hands to the plant. This is possible, but seems to be a fairly inefficient mode of transmission. You might wish to sanitize hands and implements, until you no longer see TMV in any of your plants. In temperate growing areas, tobacco is raised as an annual, and this increases the likelihood of breaking the cycle of transmission. In your region, maintaining individual plants for multi-year spans may raise the risk of persistent TMV and its spread.

Bob

Isabel

It looks like TMV is the problem with this plant. We don't want other tobacco plants to get infected as well of course. It's a pity but better be safe than sorry, so we got rid of the plant.

DSC_0315.jpg

Tutu pulled it out of the pot.

DSC_0325.jpg

There it goes...

DSC_0326.jpg

Bye, bye...

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Oo that's sad, but I am shore that you did the right thing.. To be honest I didn't notice it before

Tutu

Personally I think it was transferred to this plant because of the container that its in. One of the Amersfoort plants had a problem that looked rather similar and there is a 50% change that this plant is in the same container. I think it has also spread to the Kasturi plant of which the second growth leafs are showing similar signs. I'll probably get that plant out of the ground too and discard of the soil in both containers. I won't be using the containers for new plants either. Wouldn't want this problem to spread to more plants. Good to identify the issure though, so thanks again Bob!

Charly

Funny flying plant ! :D

But I wonder : have you throw it far enough ? Wouldn't it have been more secure to put it in a closed trash bag ?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
One of them best ways to avoid infection is to burn the infected plants, the cultivation vessels that can stand against fire,it's is not wrong to also burn these.. How easy TMV spreads I ain't shore only known that it's can create big problem. That also way match of the tobacco variants have some resistance against TMV..

Tutu

There's a stream on the other side of the wall next to the paddy field. Pretty sure it's a goner!

Status
Not open for further replies.