Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Blackpowder pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenhagen Forever

I was curious it there are any blackpowder firearms enthusiast around. I wanted to build my own flintlocks with no knowledge of how to go about it, I bought my first gun about 8 years ago. A 1728 french infantry rifle then I copied the lock. I learned how to coal forge the parts then make my lock work. The first gun I wanted was a double flintlock pistol so after the copy was made I made an exact opposite lock. a right and a left.

DSC04345.jpg I wanted the double to be 12 ga. for rabbit hunting. I bought the barrels from an outfit out of Oregon and I fit them into a piece of wild cherry that I cut down in the back yard. I made all the other parts and there's more to that than one think. The finished gun is a lot of fun to shoot and I have gotten a few rabbits with it. I shoot from the hip and have got fairly good at it.

DSC04487.jpg I fit it with a homemade sling. It rests at my side and pointing down with the butt up. I have a compass inleted into a hardwood ball similar to the wheellock "puffers" of the 1500's.

DSC05265.jpg

DSC05266.jpg

Rectifier

Great work, and I'm even more impressed that you forged it. Wow.
I do like guns but I don't do black powder, I only handle smokeless powder myself. I hunt and trap a lot of coyote, so I reload to get the accurate and fur-friendly ammunition I need.

Copenhagen Forever

There we go. A few guys interested. I have my share of modern cartridge guns but there's some things about the old smooth bore blackpowder guns that put some fun back into the hobby.

I usually hunt with a 12 ga side by side muzzleloader made by Pedersoli in the 70's but it's a percussion model. Hats off to your ability in gunsmithing!

Pier

Ahhh, Pedersoli, Exquisite firearms and a good chunk of change in this country to own one. Which brings me to the next project. The ANIX De Gendarmerie. A little French Officers pistol with a lot of class. I first came across knowledge of the ANIX while looking through the online Pedersoli catalog and I had to have one. I could not justify buying one to my wife so the only thing I could do is make one.

FH0954.jpg This little pistol has a really cool history that pedersoli captured. There's a fairly extensive writeup on the Pedersoli site, ANIX commemorative page. There was 32,000 pair made for Napoleon. He gave them to his cavalry officers. There's still a few around in museums and private collectors. The Pedersoli ANIX was going for $650 in this country and the last I checked, went up to $695.

Like I said, I had to have one. I gathered pictures of the little gun in every angle. The only measurement that I knew for sure was the barrel length.

5645.jpg This pic was one of the main straight on shots I used. By knowing the barrel length and measuring it in this pic, I was able to find a constant then multiply any measurement by the constant. The constant changes from picture to picture but I was able to come to a scale for each piece.

It took me 2 years to finish with every piece polished to a mirror.

DSC05500.jpg The wood is Walnut. I didn't make the barrel. It's just to much to do it. It would take 2 people many hours to make. I would need wrought iron which is basically not made anymore. You can't get a coal forge weld with carbon steel that you can trust. An old gunsmith gave me a broken 1850 English double barrel percussion shotgun in 11 ga. which I used. The breech plug had to be worked and the barrel needed a touch hole. It's got the proof marks from the Birmingham proofing house in London.

DSC05696.jpgDSC05698.jpg The mark on the left just means blackpowder. The one on the right is the birmingham proof mark.

I figured that I have about 400 hours into this little gun. She shoots a .69" dia. lead ball with 25 gr. of FF blackpowder very well.

DSC04539.jpg

Rectifier
"I do like guns but I don't do black powder, I only handle smokeless powder myself. I hunt and trap a lot of coyote, so I reload to get the accurate and fur-friendly ammunition I need."

I went coyote hunting yesterday but there like ghosts around here. It's fun to get outside though. Dress up in snow camo, I got a caller and manage to call in a fox here and there but so far no luck with coyote.​

Smokin Harley

I was curious it there are any blackpowder firearms enthusiast around. I wanted to build my own flintlocks with no knowledge of how to go about it, I bought my first gun about 8 years ago. A 1728 french infantry rifle then I copied the lock. I learned how to coal forge the parts then make my lock work. The first gun I wanted was a double flintlock pistol so after the copy was made I made an exact opposite lock. a right and a left.

View attachment 19661 I wanted the double to be 12 ga. for rabbit hunting. I bought the barrels from an outfit out of Oregon and I fit them into a piece of wild cherry that I cut down in the back yard. I made all the other parts and there's more to that than one think. The finished gun is a lot of fun to shoot and I have gotten a few rabbits with it. I shoot from the hip and have got fairly good at it.

View attachment 19662 I fit it with a homemade sling. It rests at my side and pointing down with the butt up. I have a compass inleted into a hardwood ball similar to the wheellock "puffers" of the 1500's.

View attachment 19663

View attachment 19664

I wouldn't say I'm a big enthusiast but I happen to own a .54 cal CVA Hawken percussion and a .44 1851 Brass frame Colt (design)Navy revolver, Traditions. Haven't shot either in years but they sure are fun.

Copenhagen Forever

Count me in too. I have a Pedersoli flintlock pistol. I'm a big fan of the U.S. Revolution.

Is it the harpers ferry? I've been looking at that gun for a project. .58 cal. I think. Pedersoli sell kits now available thru Dixie gun works. There pricey but less than fully assembled.

Hey Smokin. I got one of those Traditions 1851 revolvers. The shorter Sheriff's model. A lot of fun but hard to clean. Straight shooter too. I got a ball mold and I load the gun up with 30 gr. of FF powder. They're well made.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Great work! I shoot a 54 Hawkin, have a 36 single shot "kit" pistol and had a 6-shot navy revolver. The revolver looked good, except after I loaded and shot it without "spitball" over cylinders. What a surprise to be had when 3 cylinders fired at once. I traded it off later for a snub nose 32 and a sawed off 12 gauge.

Copenhagen Forever

Great work! I shoot a 54 Hawkin, have a 36 single shot "kit" pistol and had a 6-shot navy revolver. The revolver looked good, except after I loaded and shot it without "spitball" over cylinders. What a surprise to be had when 3 cylinders fired at once. I traded it off later for a snub nose 32 and a sawed off 12 gauge.

There's something about the smoke and smell of blackpowder that brings me back to a 15 year old when the firearms hobby was all new. Those 6 shot revolvers will do that. If the ball is the right size for the gun (fits the cylinder perfect) a small ring of lead will be shaved off. Fire won't leak into the other cylinders. Lube over the ball is just a unnecessary precaution. My guns lead balls fit just that way. I've have 2-3 cylinders shoot at the same time with shaved balls and lube over them:rolleyes: . They still fire 2-3 shots once in a while. I finally figured it out that my percussion caps were to loose and the fire was jumping over the nipples.

Copenhagen Forever

sounds like one helluva weekend
Like I say, Blackpowder's a lot of fun!

After I finished the ANIX I was looking at the Harpers Ferry pistol next and almost started it but the lure of having 2 identical guns, a pair, pushed me over. Napoleon gave them out in pairs so at least one would fire in a pinch. I built another ANIX. About a year and a half and it was done.

DSC05499.jpg The only way I can tell them apart is the frizzen spring has a little different design on the arrow ahead of the screw. I saved 100 hours on this one because I knew better how to go about making the parts. They both fire very well.

DSC05497.jpg DSC05496.jpg DSC05495.jpg DSC05494.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Very impressive guns there Cope. Want to trade a pound of tobacco for one?? Seriously, I just looked up the cost of buying a Perdersoli Harper Ferry model.... $600.00! Insane!
On another note, a couple of years ago a buddy of mine new a lady that was getting rid of all of her recently deceased husband's "stuff". I went over to her house and she gave me 40 cans of black powder, a 5 pound bag of powder, and 2 barrels. She refused to take any money.

Copenhagen Forever

They made the ANIX De Gendarmerie in flintlock from 1605- 1617. Then the percussion lock took over. Simpler and more weather friendly. They also started making the ANIX for the Police in 1618.

IMG_6437.jpg From what I understand, The cartridge system stayed the same. They carried a shoulder bag that held a supply of paper cartridges.

giberne1.jpggiberne4.jpg This bag is made for re enactment and is a replica of a 1750-1765 French Infantry soldier bag. Ther the only pics I could find for the French cartridge system.

DSC05700.jpg I make my own cartridges. My bags a little more modern. I use the same round ball as for my 1728 rifle, .69 cal. They fit the 11 ga. barrels just right. I have a ball mold and melt whatever lead I have around.

DSC05701.jpg I can make them quickly once I get going. I use 25 gr. of FF Black powder. I buy my powder from a company right here in Maine, 5 pounds at a time, and it lasts a long time. I use about a pound a year.

Here's a video of using the cartridges.

Copenhagen Forever

Very impressive guns there Cope. Want to trade a pound of tobacco for one?? Seriously, I just looked up the cost of buying a Perdersoli Harper Ferry model.... $600.00! Insane!
On another note, a couple of years ago a buddy of mine new a lady that was getting rid of all of her recently deceased husband's "stuff". I went over to her house and she gave me 40 cans of black powder, a 5 pound bag of powder, and 2 barrels. She refused to take any money.

That enough powder to level the house. I can imagine her shaky voice saying "No I don't want anything, Just get it out. I didn't even know he had it!"
Dixie gun works sells the Harpers Ferry kit for $433.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=965
You might find a cheaper kit or a buy a lock and build your own but you can't go wrong with the quality of the pedersoli parts.
At Track of the Wolf they got kits and there about the same price. These kit are quality too.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/608/1

Smokin Harley

barrels of powder, or are we talkin like green river type?

Status
Not open for further replies.