Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

the fall garden is a total loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
thanks to the many damn squirrels i got around here,:mad::mad::mad:

...i had planted about 60 califlower plants... and some lettuce,,cabbage,,brussel sprouts... e.t.c.

it was all about a foot tall. and i noticed the leaves were being ate,,, at first i thought it was a inscect so i sprayed poision,,
to no avail.. then i seen a leaf tore off the plant and laying at the base of it.... NO INSCECT DID THAT,,

so i put up a game camera and sure enough.... nothing but squirrells eating my crop. i would have put a bunch of mouse traps out in my area, tied to a stake. but i got a cat that roams freelly...

so i got a pellet rifle that shoots 550 feet per second,,, a pretty bad ass gun... so far ive killed 2 and many more to go,

damn squirrells,:mad:

but all is not a total loss... i instead ripped all my mat up and planted a cover crop of black clover,,,,and rye grass,,,and it's looking damn good... i'll have to get a pic of it ..and post it,

this is the first year ive done a cover crop. normally right after the last bacca plant is removed i plant the fall garden immediatlly,

im gonna slowlly but surelly kill every squirrell that comes on my property...and my neighbour may find a dead one laying in thier yard,,, if they are in range im dropping them...

riverstone

Luckily Squirrels are one pest that never got introduced into NZ.We got the Australian Possum instead. Introduced for the fur trade and bred up to plague proportions. They are eating their way through our native forests, gardens and my citrus fruit. Nocturnal creatures but very susceptible to lead poisoning; spotlight. .22 rifle with silencer--sorted! The shotgun is better but the neighbors complained and it was only 2am :confused:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Squirrels are never a problem here, nor is anything else that can get skewered and roasted over a fire:)

A few years back I ate too many, so they've been left alone for I think two years. I have so many oaks I really should be able to roast them more often, so I figured I'd let them build up their numbers, maybe get more litters or something.

Eat em chicken, I've found anything I eat I never have too much of:)

indianjoe

Founding Member
Tree rats are good to eat, fried, smothered with gravy or boiled with dumplings. They are quick and fast breeders and not many people eat them nowadays.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Man, plateful of fried taters with squirrel gravy on top, thats some fine eaten.

yep<----------

ive ate them a couple times, in the past, a friend of mines uncle would make biscuits and gravy using squirrell as the meat,,,

burge

A lady I know feeds them in the mountains but if you really want to get them get a ferret

Status
Not open for further replies.