11.only lonely.(N.sylvestris).
12.Kasturi (Lombok Timur).
13.Amersfoort.
14.Hungarian Red leaf.
15. Red Russian.

Cigarr:

16.BMC#24.
17.CT-8212 USA-Shade.

-Perhaps I also grow some N.Rustica but I ain't shore yet..

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it's good to have a plan<------------

next grow, i aint doing no expermenting,,, / no growing a strain ive never grown.. or know nothing about,,,,///

next grow is going to be tried--and--proven strains,,,,

i got a newlly built bacca barn,, and i plan on filling it up..............

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Chicken that sounds very nice, but I think every year having some Experiments.. For me it's like bit part of the game.. But even if I don't have growing every variants before I trying to know as much as possible about them. In this grow I have 3 variants that have good yield but are low in nicotine.. One of them are pretty much my favorite but (Jupiter Burley), have growing it some years and really like the taste but also known that I don't can have it alone. It's taste good but it's necessary to have some other tobacco to make me happy. Good taste ain't everything if the brain ain't getting his part.

Tutu

Nice Hasse! The two Sylvestris, are they different varieties? Sounds like an interestig experiment.
In terms of classifying, Amersfoort should be a Maryland type. If the Kasturi is the one that came from me it is Kasturi Jepun. Not from East Lombok. It may be a different one though, not sure. Anyway, Kasturi's are definitely on the high end of the scale of nicotine production. Very pungent stuff.

Leftynick

Nice list you have there. Are you planning on chewing the sylvestris? Or for ornamental reason only? Anyway good luck on your next season.

rainmax

Founding Member
You are brawe man. I don't remember when I had grown so many strains in one season.
Lots of work even with one strain. But tobacco growing is so nice...go for it and good luck.

ChinaVoodoo

I was going to limit it to three varieties this year. Down from 8 last year and 11 the year before.

The plan was Piloto, Goose Creek, and VA509, but now some kind soul has provided me with seed for 8 new Indonesian tobaccos. Now I just don't know. Sounds like one of them "good problems" though.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Nice Hasse! The two Sylvestris, are they different varieties? Sounds like an interestig experiment.
In terms of classifying, Amersfoort should be a Maryland type. If the Kasturi is the one that came from me it is Kasturi Jepun. Not from East Lombok. It may be a different one though, not sure. Anyway, Kasturi's are definitely on the high end of the scale of nicotine production. Very pungent stuff.
The reason I grow both is that I want to know the different between them. Only lonely shall be a "clean" N.Sylvesteris.
TW:137 is a hybrid of N. sylvestris/N. tabacum. Created to bring a more resistant N.tabacum variant. I have been growing it the last two sessions, but this year I found that it doesn't smell like tobacco. Instead it smells more like tomato.
So I feel that I really need to know if it is the same with Only Lonely. Also want to know if dyed leaf have the same interesting taste of "sweet almond". So that is pretty much way I do that grow.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Nice list you have there. Are you planning on chewing the sylvestris? Or for ornamental reason only? Anyway good luck on your next season.
I will need that Good luck whishing Leftynick.. I have made Snus (or oral-snuff) out of TW:137 last year (and this year) don't recommend it alone, but in a mix with some Bright leaf it's pretty good.. It seems like it one of all neutral taste tobacco variants that comes more to his right in a mix (almost like I feel with many of the Havana variants I have been growing)..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
You are brawe man. I don't remember when I had grown so many strains in one season.
Lots of work even with one strain. But tobacco growing is so nice...go for it and good luck.
Yes I never learn by my mistakes..
Can't not even stay with a maximum grow of 10 variants, I know that in the end I will say way was I doing this again.. But there are a few reasons:
I need to grow some Jupiter Burley again (have sent away almost every seed).
And I wanna test CT:157 (One high yield Bright leaf variant with low nicotine), so I make it safe and also grow one of the parents: DelGold.

When we come to Dark variant I have:
LN KY:171 a high yield Dark variant that don't have much nicotine either. The quality of the dyed tobacco shall be lower also perhaps just because it have low nicotine but also because the leaf harvest green (don't change color to yellow). So there are a risk that it also stand green, but I hope I can handle that.
And I need to grow one of my favorite tobacco KY:151 and it just happened to be one of the parents to the original plant of KY:171, So actually there is more than just the reason that I need to grow KY:151, I also want to see the different between those two variants..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I was going to limit it to three varieties this year. Down from 8 last year and 11 the year before.

The plan was Piloto, Goose Creek, and VA509, but now some kind soul has provided me with seed for 8 new Indonesian tobaccos. Now I just don't know. Sounds like one of them "good problems" though.
Oo you have Piloto seed that's interesting, what I have heard those are sterile hybrids, created to just give dead seed, I can for sure be wrong on that (hope I am).. Goose Creek Red is a good variant should grow it this year but that one of the variants that I was feeling that I better put on next year grow.. VA:509 hum that one please put the seed in a glasses with water before and let them start their life in it. Something tell me they are slow in the start. Don't remember how I Was speak about variants that is having problems in the start.. But I am pretty sure that"he" was saying oooo sounds like mine VA509..
I think I should stay with those variants (or nope not me, but I which I should stay with them)..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding of Piloto Cubano is that the seed was smuggled from the Cuban village of Piloto [or Pilotos] (in the Piña del Rio), and sent to Pepe Menendez, who was by then settled in the Dominican Republic. So I would guess that it is not a hybrid, and is not sterile.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Thanks Bob
That story sounds very realistic, and it's funny to see that people here will grow it (like a lot of other tobacco's). I really hope they will grow and perhaps gives new and Healthy
seed. It's not so realistic the any one smuggling dead seed..

Most say that this thing will be interesting to see in the end of season..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Is alida a uniquely flavored snus leaf or is it just the companies hyping a regional strain? It doesn't look very productive from pictures I've seen.

squeezyjohn

Alida is an heirloom Swedish variety, one of the very few which was saved from extinction and it was named after the woman who was still growing it. Presumably it is better suited for growing in Sweden due to years of acclimatisation, but I don't think anyone has ever mentioned to me any advantage it has in producing snus.

I tried growing it once and none of the seeds even germinated!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Is alida a uniquely flavored snus leaf or is it just the companies hyping a regional strain? It doesn't look very productive from pictures I've seen.
The leaves on the Alida is thicker than many "normal" N. Tobacum variants (I have never bin growing any other N.tabacum how have so thick leaf).

Swedish tobacco growers were not completely satisfied with the version as it appeared in the 1950s. But "the Swedish tobacco monopoly" (that controlled the things that had tobacco in Sweden) seems to have been Convinced that "Ahushavana" was the future for Sweden's tobacco growing and use.
Unfortunately, wanted mother nature something else, 1963 hit Sweden for the first and only big attack of the Blue mold. Many crops therefore gave no harvest at all, while some gave very low yields.
The farm's in Southern Sweden was the greatest and the most important tobacco grower And even if they stand pretty good Against the blue molds. But the tobacco industry decided to contact every tobacco farm and tell that 1964 should be the last year they would accept Swedish tobacco.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I don't think I'll grow it this year, the plants I'm planning on get big but I am curious about it. I really need more garden space I guess.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Alida is an heirloom Swedish variety, one of the very few which was saved from extinction and it was named after the woman who was still growing it. Presumably it is better suited for growing in Sweden due to years of acclimatisation, but I don't think anyone has ever mentioned to me any advantage it has in producing snus.

I tried growing it once and none of the seeds even germinated!
If you can read Swedish I could say that if you read a pdf-file "tobacco seeds from skane" (sorry can't write in Swedish here). They quote some letter from the time Ahushavana was growing in Sweden..
"the tick leaf have so low quality that it only can be in pipe tobacco and snus".

I know that alot of people have made cigar out of the tobacco and really like it.
I most say that Alida ain't my favorite tobacco to grow, have growing it some years but to be honest only one year that I really was happy with the growing period. The tobacco is pretty mild.

Status
Not open for further replies.