Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Essential oils and potential dangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

ok , so having read that and my want for a safe Wintergreen flavoring...what should I use then? I am not getting the result I was looking for with my Altoid candies rendered as flavoring for my chew. Just not as strong as I'd like.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The site is pretty worthless. ANYTHING is dangerous if too much is consumed. Without listed dosages, what's the point of the article? Water is dangerous you know? People drink too much every year and they die.

As for wintergreen, LorAnn oils makes a good concentrated extract.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Methyl salicylate (Oil of Wintergreen): One teaspoon contains 7,000 mg of salicylate, equivalent to 21 aspirin tablets, and childhood fatalities may occur after ingestion of as little as 4 ml of Oil of Wintergreen.

My crude estimate (20 drops per cc; 5 cc per tsp-->100 drops per tsp) would predict that 1 drop of methyl salicylate is equivalent to ~ 0.2 aspirin.

(The average lethal dose of methyl salicylate for children is 10 ml, and for adults, 30 ml or 0.5 g/kg.)

The aroma of wintergreen is potent. Try LorAnn Oil of Wintergreen: 1 to 2 drops per weight of chew used in a day. This would expose you to less than 1/2 aspirin-equivalent per day. [For comparison, a low-dose aspirin tablet is about 1/4 of a standard (325 mg) aspirin tablet.]

If you have small children in (or visiting) the house, then keep the essential oil locked away.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
LorAnn oils are carried (in tiny, rectangular, glass bottles) in many stores and groceries during holiday times--usually in the baking and candy-making section. They also have a website: http://www.lorannoils.com/

Many of their flavorants can be used in single-drop quantities added to a couple of ounces of an alcohol (like Canadian Whiskey--e.g. Seagram's VO or Canadian Club), and sprayed onto shredded tobacco, as a non-sticky casing for aromatic pipe blends.

[As an aside, the LorAnn Clove Oil is natural eugenol, and is miraculous at quelling the pain of a toothache, by dipping a Q-tip (cotton swab on a stick) into the oil, then painting it onto the offending tooth.]

Bob

ArizonaDave

LorAnn oils are carried (in tiny, rectangular, glass bottles) in many stores and groceries during holiday times--usually in the baking and candy-making section. They also have a website: http://www.lorannoils.com/

Many of their flavorants can be used in single-drop quantities added to a couple of ounces of an alcohol (like Canadian Whiskey--e.g. Seagram's VO or Canadian Club), and sprayed onto shredded tobacco, as a non-sticky casing for aromatic pipe blends.

[As an aside, the LorAnn Clove Oil is natural eugenol, and is miraculous at quelling the pain of a toothache, by dipping a Q-tip (cotton swab on a stick) into the oil, then painting it onto the offending tooth.]

Bob

Excellent scientific info Bob! I've tried many of the LorAnn oils, and noticed something. The "Splenda" oils are good for chew, but not good for smoke. Splenda turns bitter when heated, so make sure that you only use the Splenda for chew.

Smokin Harley

Bob

My wife is a dental assistant. I have the luxury of a good dental office and 24/7 dental care at my service. We don't even have a drop of clove oil in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.