Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Big Gem seeds available free

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaryNC

I think I overdid growing for seeds this past year, I am way overloaded with Big Gem seed.

It was a real pain collecting the seed pods because half of the plants were over 9ft tall, so I had to get the ladder out.
Other tobacco plants were growing nearby, so they may or may not be a pure strain.

If you want some, just send me a PM and I will get to it ASAP after the 1st of January, possibly sooner.

The only seeds I am looking for right now are:
Monte Calm Yellow
Ottoman HY
Yellow Twist Bud
If you have any of the above, I would be very happy to trade.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
FTT discourages (and I personally discourage) the distribution of seed from plants that have not been protected from cross-pollination.

It's certainly okay to produce and collect your own seed for your own use in whatever manner you choose. But distributing it to others, even for free, only contributes to varietal confusion. Once you have allowed a cross, then offspring from those seeds will require 5 to 7 generations to be homozygous (a pure strain) again.

My understanding of this thread is that it is offering Big Gem-ish hybrid seed. It might be wonderful; might not. [Big Gem already has a questionable past. It was apparently a giant burley that was marketed during the "Bright Tobacco" seed boom of the 1870s as a flue-cure variety.] Some members like it.

Sorry for the rant.

Bob

EDIT: Perhaps a kind FTT member who may have seed on CaryNC's "looking for" list might share some.

CaryNC

Thanks for clearing that up, I had not seen that about the distribution aspect.

The reason I said they may not be a pure strain is twofold: 1) not sure I got the bags on in time, and 2) not sure they were secure enough at the bottom because I had some worms show up in the bag.

Maybe in light of it's questionable past even before I got it, I should just remove the post completely?
I hate to see it go to waste, but then again we sure don't need any more confusion. Let me know what would be the proper course of action would be. Thanks.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
It is supposed to be a cross between a Burley and Turkish.

Ottoman is one orient that originates from the ottoman empire, but began to be grown where the first 100years after it's been grown in Europe. The tobacco is mild and is near on Identical to the Bursa, so as I got to work to find differences. With me started one variety of flower just some days before the other. Suspect that there were also a few days difference in maturity also. But I don't want to say it was the big big difference..
And you might also known that example Ars- Grin have a nice number of "Bursa" So how known perhaps some of them is more like that the one I have:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npg...on&si=0&si=1&.cgifields=si&.cgifields=reverse

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive grown big -- gem in the past,,,, very few plants i notice i like from just one growing,, but for what im looking for in a plant big -- gem is a keeper,

ive also grown the '' ottoman '' and bursa.... both look the same and smoke the same to me,,, if your looking for a big leaf '' turkish '' plant those 2 are the best,,,,i'll be growing them this year,, and possiblly some big -- gem.... im only growing tried and proven plants this upcoming grow, and both of them may be on the list,

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
ive grown big -- gem in the past,,,, very few plants i notice i like from just one growing,, but for what im looking for in a plant big -- gem is a keeper,

ive also grown the '' ottoman '' and bursa.... both look the same and smoke the same to me,,, if your looking for a big leaf '' turkish '' plant those 2 are the best,,,,i'll be growing them this year,, and possiblly some big -- gem.... im only growing tried and proven plants this upcoming grow, and both of them may be on the list,
Yes thanks for that information Chicken, I think mine Ottoman come from you (some years ago). But what I tried to tell is that I can't tell if my "Ottoman" have a Burley in the Pedigree from the start. Just like I can't tell if my Bursa have been mixed up with Burley tobacco.
It's a really common thing if you look in to other tobacco's Pedigree..

I agree that they both are very nice oriental variants.

CaryNC

Actually, my big -- gem came from you a few years ago. I had a 98% germination rate too. They did very well here, and a few plants were over 10ft!

Good thing I had bought 6' stakes because I had some winds here over the summer that tilted them way over - even with the stakes.

I have tried a few leaves already and they don't seem to need much aging. They are pretty good this early on.

If I remember right, Ottoman, YTB and MCY don't need much aging either, and they make a good cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.