Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

green spots on tobacco leaves

Abosultan

moldFlueCured.jpg
Is this mold ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
what are the pictures that made you say it is mold ?
What I have said is that I can not determine from the photos (insufficient magnification) if it is mold or not. I studied microbiology for years. I can't tell from the photos. Others are apparently more confident of their inspection of the photos than I am.

I did examine all of each photo. When I say that I don't see your area of interest, that means that I didn't see anything peculiar or unusual.

Burning of tobacco destroys any mold toxins. Mold spores are everywhere in my environment and your environment. So we touch mold all the time. That is not a risk. Since your humidity is so low, the aroma of mold is probably not a familiar smell, and there is no way for me to describe it to you.

To determine without doubt whether or not it is mold, take the leaf to a local microbiologist or laboratory with a microscope. (I visited some in Riyadh many years ago.) But personally, I would not worry so much about it. [When you purchase commercial cigarettes, you never get to see the leaf in its natural state, or even what foreign materials have crept into shredded cigarette tobacco.]

All tobacco has peculiar looking spots and regions. It's just the way it is. Sometimes it is simple discoloration or bruising from the handling process; sometimes it's mold. (Shipping through an environment in which the package may be subjected to dramatic swings in temperature can cause a closed bag of tobacco with proper moisture content to dry in some regions, and condense moisture in others--possibly leading to mold. So I would not be too surprised to see a bit of mold within tobacco shipped to Saudi Arabia.)

Although my thought is that tobacco itself poses a greater risk to you than handling or smoking a bit of possible mold on the leaf, for your own psychological comfort, you can just tear away the ugliest areas, and discard them. I do that with my own home-grown tobacco whenever I'm not confident that a portion of a leaf might not spoil the aroma when smoked. The risk from burning moldy tobacco is insignificant. But burning moldy tobacco smells bad.

Guarantees? None here.

Bob

Abosultan

What I have said is that I can not determine from the photos (insufficient magnification) if it is mold or not. I studied microbiology for years. I can't tell from the photos. Others are apparently more confident of their inspection of the photos than I am.

I did examine all of each photo. When I say that I don't see your area of interest, that means that I didn't see anything peculiar or unusual.

Burning of tobacco destroys any mold toxins. Mold spores are everywhere in my environment and your environment. So we touch mold all the time. That is not a risk. Since your humidity is so low, the aroma of mold is probably not a familiar smell, and there is no way for me to describe it to you.

To determine without doubt whether or not it is mold, take the leaf to a local microbiologist or laboratory with a microscope. (I visited some in Riyadh many years ago.) But personally, I would not worry so much about it. [When you purchase commercial cigarettes, you never get to see the leaf in its natural state, or even what foreign materials have crept into shredded cigarette tobacco.]

All tobacco has peculiar looking spots and regions. It's just the way it is. Sometimes it is simple discoloration or bruising from the handling process; sometimes it's mold. (Shipping through an environment in which the package may be subjected to dramatic swings in temperature can cause a closed bag of tobacco with proper moisture content to dry in some regions, and condense moisture in others--possibly leading to mold. So I would not be too surprised to see a bit of mold within tobacco shipped to Saudi Arabia.)

Although my thought is that tobacco itself poses a greater risk to you than handling or smoking a bit of possible mold on the leaf, for your own psychological comfort, you can just tear away the ugliest areas, and discard them. I do that with my own home-grown tobacco whenever I'm not confident that a portion of a leaf might not spoil the aroma when smoked. The risk from burning moldy tobacco is insignificant. But burning moldy tobacco smells bad.

Guarantees? None here.

Bob

thanks, that sums thing up.

so if i just tear the suspicious parts and throw them, i should be safe right ?

i also think it could be the shipping to my country what caused it if it is mold.

from the two cigs i smoked i didn't smell anything weird but there was some harshness. by the way, the smell of the tobacco when first opened (and still for now) was very pleasant.

of course i understand the risks of smoking, what i meant by safe to smoke is that if i smoked it will i catch something in the near future from it ? because i took a course about microbiology and mold diseases seemed painful.

thank you very much, i think im comfortably going to smoke it after tearing the weird parts.

burge

You will be safe. The spots that look bad to you throw them away same with Bob nothing unusual. Whole leaf is strong.so to remove the harshness moisten the tobacco and let it sit for a bit dry it out then remoisten it again. Over time tobacco mellows out. I am assuming your rolling with a tube use the lighter versions. You would smell mold

burge

This is mold on tobacco leaves. It happens sometimes

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_225355.jpg
    IMG_20200225_225355.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200225_231644.jpg
    IMG_20200225_231644.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200225_231808.jpg
    IMG_20200225_231808.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200225_231916.jpg
    IMG_20200225_231916.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:

Darkthirty

If you spray it with peroxide and it flashes up white...it's mold. Peroxide, when exposed to air/sunlight breaks down to H2O.

Methanol007

I don‘t what these are but im scared that this is mold what do you all think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 48

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Other members will say that it is chlorophyll or fairy dust. It is mold. I suppose it would be considered "mildew", but they are the same thing. But it's only a bit. Just dry it well. Although sucking on moldy leaf, or using it for a cigar wrapper is probably not healthy for you, smoking it (combusting it) destroys any aflatoxin that may be there. If you are concerned about it, just tear away and discard that small section of leaf when you are about to use it.

Bob

burge

I would say no it is chlorophyll and normal on virginia tobacco. The pictures I posted above is what mold is on tobacco leaves. Again I have said a lot of times that tobacco leaves are a agricultural product and there has never been a order that I do not have to rip a little piece of here or there. That happens when the leaf hasn't cured in minute spots and from aging tobacco I have also said in spots where that has happened in the first post those green spots disappear. Those pictures the tobacco smelt bad and smelt like mold.

Charly

Humm, are you sure it's not some fairy dust ?
I am not sure, it's hard to tell from the picture.
The safest thing to do, if you have any doubt, is to remove the suspect part.

burge

That is what I do. I encourage questions to be asked with no disrespect to leaf sellers. I have never had much trouble and you have to accept the pros with the cons of all natural tobacco. I wrote a post to newbies on whole leaf tobacco a while back on what to expect. Value brands on tobacco I have said many times you do not want to see what that leaf looks like.

Oldfella

Maybe it's just knomes and Fairies partying and peeing in the bushes!!!
Smoking causes cancer??? Worrying about it causes stomach ulcers???
Chop it out and Carry on regardless.
Oldfella

Methanol007

Lil Update it seems like the stuff is spreading so this means its probably no chlorophyll and lucky me will probably be forced to throw it away.

Attachments

• 7E9CDF3E-6E1B-4364-81BA-343513E358E6.jpeg
    7E9CDF3E-6E1B-4364-81BA-343513E358E6.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 42

burge

Not really sure mold is hairy and just saw this pic. Spray it with vodka. I still don't think it is mold.