Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Re: deluxestogie Grow Log 2017

Just thought I'd ask. Costello Negro is probably a little mild for most cigar aficionados.

Flue-cured Virginias and the more aromatic Orientals add unexpected sweetness, acidity and a "cigarette" flavor to a cigar filler blend. Other than those, most leaf varieties can contribute to an interesting cigar. With air-cured Virginias, for example, you need to balance it with some heavier cigar leaf to make a cigar that I would enjoy.

Of course, there are many different cigar preferences. Some folks enjoy "pipe tobacco" cigars, which usually means a cased tobacco blend. I've even rolled a flue-cured Virginia Bright Leaf puro, but to me, it just smelled and tasted like a very fancy, very fat cigarette--and it was a bright yellow color!

Flue-cured Virginia Bright Leaf puro, from 2014.

Bob

Bob:

A quiz w/ photo attached. Odd speckling on my tobacco leaf.

Tobacco Seedlings 8-15-17 88.jpg

Wes H.

That's an interesting pattern of chlorosis--loss of chlorophyll. It's distribution does not suggest an infection or infestation. Weather fleck tends to be more generalized.

In the close-up image, note that the white spots seem to be common in areas of the lamina that are shaped (either bulging downward or upward) by the terminal loop of secondary veins. So, I'll suggest that this could be a physical effect of some sort.

Possibilities:
    • sunscald from lensing by trapped water (if downward bulge)
    • physical trauma from brushing against clothing (if upward bulge, and plants are space too closely to avoid contact with the passing grower)
    • normal yellowing of maturation, starting at the most terminal areas with respect to the secondary veins
    • bad luck [I don't know what it is.]

Bob

Bob:

I thought that one might stump you. It's pretty hard to stump the tobacco guru. You are right about the physical effect. This is caused by the neighbor's tree dropping it's very small leaves (Honey Locust) on my tobacco causing loss of chlorophyll on the shaded areas. Couple the shading with the normal maturation of the leaf, and you get this unusual speckling effect.

Good job!

Wes H.

Trapped water isn't an issue in this area. I live in a very dry area. Within one hour of irrigating, the plants are dried out. Typically, between June 15, and Sept. 15 around here we get less than 1" of rain. This year we have gotten just a "Trace" during this same period of time. Our normal total rainfall is only 20" per year. That is why we only have trees in the river valleys and at elevation in the mountains (Above 4,000'.)
    Last edited by OldDinosaurWesH; 08-15-2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: More info

So, can I get partial credit? Does it count toward the final grade?

Bob

Bob:

Thanks for having a sense of humor!

In re: growing tobacco. I'm lucky in that I live in an area where we get good sunshine and don't have a lot of the pests and diseases that you would find in the wetter climates of the world. It gets cold here in the winter which keeps the bugs at bay, and fortunately leaf rust disease hasn't figured out a way to feed on tobacco!

Wes H.

Each of these 7 plants (which have been primed twice already) had mature, though green, seed pods--which I removed when I hung them. The remaining 5 plants still need a little more maturity.

I remove the bud heads for two reasons. First, they tend to attract aphids and budworms to the hanging stalks. Secondly, I don't want tobacco seed dumped in that area.

We'll see how Prancak N-1 sun-cures. I expect it to do well. The low primings were both flue-cured.

Bob

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556