Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Re: deluxestogie Grow Log 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu View Post
    So everything went into the ground by now?
    Every tobacco bed now has its summer inhabitants.

I have one full tray (48 plants) of backup transplants. There are 4 extras of each variety, except Prancak N-1 and Besuki tabakanbau. I think I have 12 extras of Havana 322, since I started more than I normally would, when the Piloto Cubano failed to germinate. (It finally germinated just fine, after 10 long and fretful days.)

These extras will absolutely not go into the ground, unless something else dies. Rules are rules.

I do have one portion of a veggie bed that is still empty. It's about 3' x 5', and would hold 4 tobacco plants, but it's in a location that has never produced decent tobacco, because of the proximity of a large white pine. I had hoped to find some Ping Tung eggplant starts to put in there, but nobody has them this year. And I'd rather not add to my tobacco effort, simply to show mercy to some seedlings. Rules are rules.

Bob the Cruel

Headlines: Brutal Bob Denies Life To Helpless Seedlings...film @ 11.

One Vuelta Abajo, and one Piloto Cubano were topped by cutworms. This despite imidacloprid in the transplant water.

I pulled out the goners, and in both instances I discovered the cutworm, in person, a couple of inches below the soil surface alongside the damaged plant. (They are seldom that easy to locate.) Now, when I usually come across cutworms (a silver and white 1/2" tall letter 'C'), they squirm for mercy, crying out, "why am I being exposed to sunlight?" Just like a vampire. These two barely moved, though they appeared to be alive.

My Theory:
    Cutworms obtain their required water (and nutrition) by severing the growth tip from a small plant, and sucking its juices from the vascular bundles of the stem. Just like a vampire. So these guys, though wallowing in imidacloprid, suffered no ill effects until they gave in to temptation, and tasted the forbidden tobacco. May they die in agony.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. "Cutworms" are not a species, but a group of Lepidoptera (butterfly/moth) larvae that live in the soil, then emerge each night to feed on freshly snipped, small plants. As with most larvae (caterpillars), they need to eat the poison. So it looks like each cutworm gets to have one meal from a transplant treated with imidacloprid.

Some nice cutworm photos from ipmimages.org: https://www.ipmimages.org/browse/sub...b=4253&area=62

Bob

EDIT: My vaunted collection of extras replaced the two mauled plants. Also, the IPM Images are not photos of nice cutworms, but are nice photos of not nice cutworms.
    Last edited by deluxestogie; 05-22-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930