Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

CaryNC grow log for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaryNC

I have some ready to go in the ground I started months ago, and just started 48 more on the 26th.
Last night I had found 3 little sprouts growing already (a little over 24 hours). 1 each of: VA Gold, Big Gem, and Black Sea Samsun.

Below is a closeup of the ones ready for the ground, hopefully no more frost.
Picture 22.jpg
Picture 23.jpg

Daniel

Banned
I've had Rustica sprout in 24 hours consistently in the past. I can't get anything else to sprout in less than 48 hours.
Good luck with your growing. We can expect killing frosts here for at least 8 more weeks.

CaryNC

Been having problems with my seedlings. My germination rate was very poor (on all varieties) and many died after only a few weeks. I found there were some very tiny bugs (very fast too) running throughout the trays and thought that was the problem.... I was almost back to square one. I nuked the new dirt before beginning again, figuring they must have been in the bags when I purchased them.

This time again I had a low germination rate, but no bugs. They started to die off again within a short time. I did notice I was using different soil than last year, which had worked great. I had some still left so I used it to start a small test grow and every one came up and have been doing just fine to date.

Anybody else have that happen? And I have yet to find out what those quick little bugs were, I don't think aphids move that fast.... or do they?

CaryNC

Had no idea those things were so quick, took quite a few tries to get each one I saw.
I rounded up a few ladybugs and put them into the trays (luckily I know where they congregate). I don't want to use any insecticides at all so I will let them have fun at the buffet.
After reading more about the aphids, it would explain why some of the roots were missing on the very tiny sprouts. After I put the survivors in the ground, a good extermination and thorough cleaning is in order, LOL.... I had no problem at all last year, must have come in on the soil.

BarG

Founding Member
CaryNC, You may have had fungus gnats. They can crawl and fly and lay eggs that turn into miniature looking slugs or maggots. They will suck the juice out of the stem base and make the sprouts fall over as if wilting. Mine went away when drier weather prevailed and a change of medium.

Good luck

CaryNC

Could have been the fungus gnats too for all I know. Changing the medium sounds like what I am going to do.

I did take all the trays with the remaining seedlings to my horse barn, where I arranged them in the center aisle, closed all the doors and windows, then turned the fly control misting system on for about 3 minutes (makes for a good fog). The spray kills all flying insects along with their larva/eggs and is safe for animals.

Tomorrow I plan to give them another dose before going back into the shed. I hope this will save what is left.

CaryNC

Should I find those little buggers in the new set, they will be getting the soapy water treatment for sure.
The ladybugs I had before are now happily patrolling the veggie garden:)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you need to do w hat i did,,,,

get some small chickens and get them trained to eat all foreign inscect's you may have in your patch,,

heres my youngi'ns getting thier training

>>>i got older chickens on '' outside patrol''
>
chandbaccy001.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-05-26

AND THE YOUNGER ONES ON '' INSIDE PATROL''
>
4477006.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-05-12
//
cbaccy005.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-05-05
//
cbaccy003.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-05-05

those plants in that pic are small, they are so huge '' NOW'',,,

and the young chickens are a lot faster,,,,

CaryNC

Funny you should mention it, I have been seriously considering that option. I do however have some wildlife here that could be causing me to get up at 2am, LOL
I had a fox walk past me a few nights ago only about 15ft away, they come through the yard all the time.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i like chickens,, they wake you up... lay eggs,,, eat bug's,,,

and when one acts the fool.

take off his head and you got supper,lol

Steve2md

hahaha!!! maybe when my whole family situation is sorted out and I can get out of a damn apartment I need to get me some chickens...

CaryNC

Well, that is the end of my grow. Every plant (except for about a dozen) is beyond coming back to life. First it was the bugs, then bad soil, and in the past 2 months we have had no rain with temps over 100 repeatedly. I watered as much as possible but they dried up anyway, I am guessing due to the 20 - 30% humidity. I did notice that the vast majority, about 95%, had severely stunted growth. I did see that other growers here had this problem as well last year.

I will try to keep the rest alive somehow but there is nothing further I can do but dig them up and plant them in the shade. After all this time the plants are only about 14in tall. The soil here is very dry, I think we had an inch of rain over the past 5 months so watering them every day is a must. I will save the rest of the seeds for next year and hopefully things will be different.

Maybe I should start 2 each of about 8 varieties and see what happens?

Rayshields

I am sorry about your bad luck, Cary. The heat has been gruesome, and the shortage of rainfall is widespread. I heard on TV weather that Kansas City has had the hottest year on record. The dust bowl years were terribly hot and dry. I feel so sorry for my neighbors who have row crops planted. They are going to harvest nothing for corn, and the soybeans can take only about another 2 weeks without rain. It is 100F here today...this is the first time I have hit 100F in about 6 years. My air conditioner stopped working last night, but the repairman has showed up so hopefully it will be cool enough to sleep tonight.

I hope that you get better results next year.

Grundle

I am sorry about your bad luck, Cary. The heat has been gruesome, and the shortage of rainfall is widespread. I heard on TV weather that Kansas City has had the hottest year on record. The dust bowl years were terribly hot and dry. I feel so sorry for my neighbors who have row crops planted. They are going to harvest nothing for corn, and the soybeans can take only about another 2 weeks without rain. It is 100F here today...this is the first time I have hit 100F in about 6 years. My air conditioner stopped working last night, but the repairman has showed up so hopefully it will be cool enough to sleep tonight.

I hope that you get better results next year.

I live in KC. The last two weeks the lowest temperature has been 101, and the average has been around 103. Absolutely brutal!

Status
Not open for further replies.