Vanishing American Cigar Factories

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
NationalCigar_Marsh.jpg

Marsh-Wheeling stogies at the factory.

I recently (late 2016) looked for some Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogies to purchase. No vendors seemed to have them. Tonight (12/31/2016), I discovered why. They have ceased production--nearly two years ago! National Cigar Corp, in Frankfort, Indiana, moved Marsh Wheeling production from the 1840s factory in Wheeling, West Virginia, to the Frankfort factory in ~2002. As of February, 2015, the entire factory shut down.

Clinton County Daily News. Feb 27 said:
Frankfort Cigar Plant To Close After 96 Years In Business
February 27, 2015
By Russ Kaspar

National Cigar in Frankfort will close manufacturing facility after producing cigars since 1919.
The 3 Story Building on North Main Street in Frankfort has been a Cigar Factory since 1919. In the mid ’80s, National Cigar in Frankfort employed 125 people on two shifts. The 17 employees at National Cigar were notified yesterday that operations at the Frankfort National Cigar Plant will cease.

Jerry Green, Manager at the Plant, said that Federal taxes and regulations played a large part in the decision to stop production at the facility. Last year, National Cigar in Frankfort paid about $820,000 in taxes to the “CHIP” fund (Children Health Insurance Program) alone. In the same year less than 5% of that amount was returned as a profit to the owners. National Cigar is only one of three Cigar Factories left in the United States. One of the Three remaining factories is in the process of moving to the Dominican Republic, leaving Standard Cigar Company in Tampa, Florida as the only remaining domestic Cigar Manufacturer.

http://www.clintoncountydailynews.com/frankfort-cigar-plant-to-close-after-96-years-in-business/

NationalCigar_CigarBoxes.jpg

I have smoked Marsh Wheeling, Farnam Drive, Ibold Black Pete, Evermore, El Verso, and several other Ibold styles.

Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogies were the last cigar I know of that contained PA Red and Little Dutch. Many of National Cigar's other brands were wrapped in dark Broadleaf tobacco.

-->100 Photos of the National Cigar Corp. cigar factory in Frankfort, Indiana: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chaplin19/sets/72157649174424854/

F.D. Grave, in New Haven, Connecticut, was still in business, but tonight, I notice their Internet domain name is dead. They make (or made--I'm not sure) Muniemaker CT Valley, Judges Cave, Cueto, and a couple of other cigar brands, using CT Broadleaf. As of now, JR Cigar still sells Muniemaker CT Valley.

These two manufacturers, National Cigar Corp and F.D. Grave, made practically the only smokable cigars that were widely sold in "drug stores," gas stations and convenience stores from coast to coast in the US. (A&C Grenadiers and Garcia y Vega Miniatures round out that list of okay, formerly inexpensive cigars.)

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I tried those muniemakers down in ct, best gas station cigar yet.

Weird how all these companies keep going out of business or relocating;)

Levi Gross

NationalCigar_Marsh.jpg

I recently (late 2016) looked for some Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogies to purchase. No vendors seemed to have them. Tonight (12/31/2016), I discovered why. They have ceased production--nearly two years ago! National Cigar Corp, in Frankfort, Indiana, moved Marsh Wheeling production from the 1840s factory in Wheeling, West Virginia, to the Frankfort factory in ~2002. As of February, 2015, the entire factory shut down.

NationalCigar_CigarBoxes.jpg

I have smoked Marsh Wheeling, Farnam Drive, Ibold Black Pete, Evermore, El Verso, and several other Ibold styles.

Marsh Wheeling Deluxe Stogies were the last cigar I know of that contained PA Red and Little Dutch. Many of National Cigar's other brands were wrapped in dark Broadleaf tobacco.

-->100 Photos of the National Cigar Corp. cigar factory in Frankfort, Indiana: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chaplin19/sets/72157649174424854/

F.D. Grave, in New Haven, Connecticut, was still in business, but tonight, I notice their Internet domain name is dead. They make (or made--I'm not sure) Muniemaker CT Valley, Judges Cave, Cueto, and a couple of other cigar brands, using CT Broadleaf. As of now, JR Cigar still sells Muniemaker CT Valley.

These two manufacturers, National Cigar Corp and F.D. Grave, made practically the only smokable cigars that were widely sold in "drug stores," gas stations and convenience stores from coast to coast in the US. (A&C Grenadiers and Garcia y Vega Miniatures round out that list of okay, formerly inexpensive cigars.)

Bob
That’s a small world indeed kinda thing to me! Clinton Co. Indiana is where I grew up and I remember that old factory well. Frankfort is a very old town and it only became the county seat after the actual town of Forest, Indiana where I grew up was nearly destroyed by a fire long ago. My grandpa told me the story about. According to what I remember I believe it was a lantern that set the town ablaze. It was never the same since and Frankfort became the county seat.

ArizonaDave

NationalCigar_Marsh.jpg

Bob

I used to order from a Texas factory called Finck Cigar Company (they had a separate factory name) and carried many of these brands, don't know if they still have some, you could check? They also had to shut down their 150+ yr old factory recently too. It had something to do with being over-taxed.
This reminds me, I owe you a package :) My sister was just out visiting, but the cigars are already rolled (in the humidor), so I'll get them out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.