Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brazilian Mata Fina

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSG

Hey guys! I hope all are doing well and that your holiday season was great.

I purchased two pounds of Brazilian Mata Fina today, and am curious what kind of leaf it is. I see it is listed as 'Upper Stalk Position', which leads me to believe it is either Viso or ligero, or a mixture of the two. Does anyone know?

Also, I understand it works well as a binder. Can anyone who has used it vouch for its good burning qualities? I find this very important in my binders from my limited experience.

Thanks a lot guys! Have a great rest of the new year!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Different tobacco growing regions use different terminology for stalk positions, and sometimes a different number of divisions (3, 4 or 5). "Upper Stalk" position may be a basket term for whatever leaves are above the seco. The variety of Mata Fina (the name of the region) is Bahia. (Other varietals grown in Mata Fina are given their specific varietal names.)

All this is to say that I can't say. Mata Fina usually burns quite well. When I have used it as binder, I used a double binder, for greater durability. If you are fond of pure Brazilian cigars, then you can probably find some wrappers in there. As a wrapper, Mata Fina gives a cigar a deep earthy, slightly smokey taste.

Bob

RSG

Thanks a lot Bob! That's what I thought.. I figured I couldn't be sure what I would get, but I thought maybe there was a streamlined leaf type.

I am looking forward to trying it -- it sounds very enticing as you explain it. I'm going to have some fun with this one I'm sure!

MarcL

Mata Fina looks heavier then it is. I find a little goes a long way. Brazilian leaf is sweeter, more flavor then power. I like it as a second binder. I also mix it in with the upper primings of other leaf. You'll want this stuff always available like most of us I'd bet.

RSG

Would you classify it similarly to the Flojo? To me it adds more to the flavor and construction than anything, but not so much strength.. I was thinking the mata Fina would be similar. And when you say second binder do you mean a double binder, or that there is a binder out there which works better?

Does the mata Fina work as a stand alone binder? I suppose I'll find out soon enough though anyway, hahha!

MarcL

The Flojo is stronger and has a sharper taste to it where, I could get closer to a mata fina puro. Not so much with flojo. Flojo, like Mata Fina, goes a long way meaning, it adds a distinctive component to a blend in small amounts as filler.

Second binder meaning, mata Fina with Dominican binder, Criollo seco, Honduran or Nicaraguan seco. So, in addition to as binder.
Inside or outside placement makes a difference. The differences can be so subtle. stand alone as binder works too.

RSG

Thank yoi very much for yout input! I really appreciate it. I think I have a much better feel for what's coming than before.. I'll let you guys know if I find any incredible blends with it!

Tutu

Then in Bahia you also have Mata Norte, Mata Sul and Almeida. Possibly more (dark air cured). Very subtle differences to the Mata Fina, but they are there.

ArizonaDave

Thank yoi very much for yout input! I really appreciate it. I think I have a much better feel for what's coming than before.. I'll let you guys know if I find any incredible blends with it!

RSG, I'm not sure which tobaccos you currently have on hand, but I have several blends with Mata Fina, it's even good on it's own! I usually have a puro of Mata Fina once a month or so. My go-to blend usually has Mata Fina and Flojo Viso in it, the one I'm rolling right now (about 20 or so, so far) has those two and Criollo Liguero, and the rest is Honduran Habano. I'm trying some w/o the Criollo Liguero (I'm starting to run low). Heck, Honduran Habano is a good tobacco too. Piloto Cubano Seco is great as a filler, but clashes with the Penn. Binder. I'm confident you find some fantastic blends with it! And yes, I use Mata Fina as a binder, filler, or even a wrapper. It just varies leaf to leaf. You can use any tobacco wherever you want it, as long as it's hole free.

RSG

RSG, I'm not sure which tobaccos you currently have on hand, but I have several blends with Mata Fina, it's even good on it's own! I usually have a puro of Mata Fina once a month or so. My go-to blend usually has Mata Fina and Flojo Viso in it, the one I'm rolling right now (about 20 or so, so far) has those two and Criollo Liguero, and the rest is Honduran Habano. I'm trying some w/o the Criollo Liguero (I'm starting to run low). Heck, Honduran Habano is a good tobacco too. Piloto Cubano Seco is great as a filler, but clashes with the Penn. Binder. I'm confident you find some fantastic blends with it! And yes, I use Mata Fina as a binder, filler, or even a wrapper. It just varies leaf to leaf. You can use any tobacco wherever you want it, as long as it's hole free.

Wow, that sounds pretty good.. maybe I'll try getting a blend similar to that. I am excited to experiment with the Flojo and mata Fina, as the Flojo is thus far my favorite tobacco! And that Honduran Habano.. wow. Good stuff. I just got some EQ Maduro wrapper for Christmas too, which I can't wait to use. I'm thinking I'll do a primarily Nicuraguan blend (the Nic. Habano Seco is a phenomenal filler) with some Flojo and mata Fina, wrapped with the EQ Maduro. If I find something that I think is really special I'll be sure to send it your way!

bonneville

[snip]......... Piloto Cubano Seco is great as a filler, but clashes with the Penn. Binder. ........

I see this notion that two leaf varietals are said to clash.....can you expand on that a little? What is it about leaves that clash? Please forgive my ignorant question...I'm brand new at cigars.
Thank you.

RSG

I see this notion that two leaf varietals are said to clash.....can you expand on that a little? What is it about leaves that clash? Please forgive my ignorant question...I'm brand new at cigars.
Thank you.

I am relatively new to rolling as well (maybe a year under my belt), but like ingredients in food or drink, different leaves bring different smoke flavors, textures, and strength to a cigar. Therefore, as you blend you will most likely be shooting for a certain 'flavor profile' that is balanced. That being said, certain leaves don't really mix well with others as their flavors are far different and do not compliment each other well. However, this is all up to the smoker. Something that most people find repulsive you may find amazing. And vice versa.

I hope this helps!

ArizonaDave

Thank you.
They both have a "zing" to them, or spice. You can add them in a blend with 1 or 2 more various types, and the spice blends in better. I do blend Piloto Cubano Seco with other tobaccos with great success. Just not with the PA Binder.

ArizonaDave

I am relatively new to rolling as well (maybe a year under my belt), but like ingredients in food or drink, different leaves bring different smoke flavors, textures, and strength to a cigar. Therefore, as you blend you will most likely be shooting for a certain 'flavor profile' that is balanced. That being said, certain leaves don't really mix well with others as their flavors are far different and do not compliment each other well. However, this is all up to the smoker. Something that most people find repulsive you may find amazing. And vice versa.

I hope this helps!
Exactly. Well said. Now, I do find the Brazilian Mata Fina goes well in all blends. Nice and Woody flavor with a slight hint of Maple Syrup, which is why I often roll Puros of this leaf.....sometimes with a better wrapper though.

RSG

Yessir! I love to to add some Mata Fina to everything I make pretty much.. I love it. Especially the smoke that pours off the end -- it smells like a rich maple syrup.

MarcL

.. love to to add some Mata Fina to everything I make..

Me too, pretty much. I do like the PA broadleaf but, it's such a dominating flavor that I've practice using it sparingly. examples; a small strip in the binder or filler, with and without the vein in. that is, the vein, not the stem or mid-rib meaning, the smaller veins that come out of the mid-ribbing. sometimes, 1 or 2 veins alone in a filler is something. Just a thin strip of Pa added to a binder, filler side.

RSG

Me too, pretty much. I do like the PA broadleaf but, it's such a dominating flavor that I've practice using it sparingly. examples; a small strip in the binder or filler, with and without the vein in. that is, the vein, not the stem or mid-rib meaning, the smaller veins that come out of the mid-ribbing. sometimes, 1 or 2 veins alone in a filler is something. Just a thin strip of Pa added to a binder, filler side.

Is this the PA binder at WLT??

RSG

I have not bought it yet! The description said it is neutral in flavor, so I passed on it and went for the Sumatra for its burn qualities, as it is a neutral binder too. What is the PA like? I didn't know it was broadleaf..

MarcL

I may have misspoken. I'm not sure. maybe someone could enlighten me? It's with my experience, that all the Pa leaf I've gotten, (3 from WLT and 1 other) they have had 2 consistent characteristics, one is they smell similar and, two they are huge leaves. I have been calling them all PA broadleaf or, PABL.

So, maybe I should be referring to a leaf as it's given name when I type.

I'm not so good I think with understanding or giving flavor descriptions or caricatures. But, something like the Pa binder that has some oil to it I find does perform well given the right circumstances. Not that I can't smoke something right of the rolling table with it in it but, I have to treat it right to get it right. Mostly, I will let stick rest until there ready. and there ready when there ready. It's a hands on thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.