Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Black Thumb Or Just Impatient

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZantetsukenSP

Hello all,

So I planted 4 varieties of seed in 32 individual peat pots about 2 weeks ago. I put about 4-6 seeds in each pot with the understanding that if more than 1 germinated, I would have to remove the extra. I planted them in a peat moss/miracle grow combination that was advertised as suitable for tomatoes. It contained a decent amount of nitrogen, so I assumed it was decent for tobacco. So far, I have had 1 connecticut broadleaf seed germinate. I thought I would have more germinate by now. My seeds are in a SE facing window, and the temp. of my house is around 70 degrees. Am I just being impatient, or should I do something to attempt to save the seeds? I figured that maybe when I watered the seeds, I also buried them. Also I had the dumb idea to plant them outside whilst living in the "windy city". Perhaps some blew away. Perhaps I can remove the top part of the soil in each pot, and spread it over a paper towel to germinate. Please advise.

Thanks,
-Scott

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

10. How should I start my tobacco seed?

Tobacco seed is quite tiny (~1/2 mm). A typical packet of seed will contain 50 to 200 seeds. Using a standard "seed starting" soil mixture in a small container, moisten the soil (not soggy) and sprinkle seed uniformly over the surface. Seal the container with a lid or plastic wrap, then keep out of direct sunlight, making sure the temperature is between 70ºF and 85ºF. After four to six days, the tiny, coffee-colored seed should reveal a white radicle sprouting from one end. (Some seed may require several weeks to germinate.) At this stage, the seed has swollen, and can be easily picked up with a toothpick. Transfer one sprouted seed each to seedling cells
(48 to 72 cell tray) or to individual 3" pots, and place them in partially shaded sunlight. Any seedlings remaining in the initial starting container should be left uncovered, and kept moist.

There are a lot of questions about how you started your seeds. Were they covered? Did you say the seeds might have "blown away"? You should start the seeds in a protected area on on the ground covered with straw. There should not have been any risk of seeds blowing away. Wind will also dry the soil surface very quickly which will prevent germination.

Daniel

Banned
For starting seed which should take between 4 days and a week. small container of very fine garden soil. Not potting soils and I have not had as good of results with vermiculite and pet moss. pack it down slightly so you have as smooth as possible. you want the seed to set on top of the soil not fall into voids or pockets.. Get soil very wet. Soggy wet. almost with water standing on the surface. Scatter seed on this soggy surface and cover. Do not expose to direct sunlight. I don't worry about exposing it to light at all usually but have started seed on my growing stand and light from the lamps does not seem to effect it. I am more concerned that the seed stay close to 80 degrees. I have had Rustica sprout in 2 days. most tobacco will sprout in 4 days and I have some Monte Clam Yellow this year that refuses to sprout in less than 6 days. I consider the MCY to be poor seed.

As Bob said above. once you see the end of the seed turn white start moving them to individual cells to grow. I use 1020 trays and 48 cell per tray insets. last year I used 2 oz dixie cups. I like the inserts as they fit the tray perfectly and there is no tipping of cups when the trays are moved. Again fill the cells with garden soil, not potting soil. Allow to grow until sprouts have 4 true leaves, the first two leaves do not count as true leaves. I then start weekly feedings of miracle grow for tomatoes. I grew my plant indoors for 6 weeks last year and they had leaves that where around 8 inches long and where busting the seams of a 6 inch pot. I will grow them indoors for only 4 weeks this year. I am growing a lot more plants so I simply cannot let them get that large. they should be out growing those 48 cell inserts at 4 weeks.

Once the seed has sprouted you want the soil to be moist not wet always. This is part of why I think garden soil works better. if you pour water in the tray and allow the soil to just soak it up it seems to keep the correct moisture for the tobacco. IF you see moss or mold growing your soil is to wet. Tobacco will grow fairly slowly for about 3 weeks. but in week 4 it really starts to take off. I have watched plants go from outgrowing a 2 oz cup to outgrowing a 6 inch pot in a 2 week period.

Lots of light. I find that people usually underestimate how much light is needed for growing plants. Keep in mind your are trying to artificially recreate the sun. enough light to see by is not enough light for plants. If it does not almost make you squint, it is not enough light. for 24 trays on 6 shelves I am using 12 4 foot 2 lamps shop lights and they are placed no more than 2 inches above the plants. IF wether permits you can move sprouts outdooors for natural light once it is being fertilized. introduce them to the real sun slowly though.

cowboyjames74

1- let seeds sit on top of the soil to start growing.
2-Use liquid fish fertilizer with your water, this will improve plant growth.I use the alaska brand.
3-A good led lighting fixture will pay off in the long run!
4- Be patient these plants take 6 weeks to mature.

ZantetsukenSP

Thanks for all of your input. Apparently I do have a black thumb... I will attempt to save the seeds I started, but it would seem as if I should also start from scratch just to be sure. I don't know where I got it in my head to plant them the way I did. I really appreciate the help everyone!

Thanks,
Scott

pastorj

Scott,

Hey, I am just trying to grow my first batch of tobacco, and was worried about mine as well. It took mine almost three weeks to germinate, and not all of them have completed yet. I am growing 8 varieties, and the fastest growing so far is a Maryland leaf; the Virginia and Orinico are the slowest, and the rest are in the middle somewhere. Just keep the soil most, but not too most; they don't need sunlight as far as I have read, at this point, and be patient. Starting a new batch sounds like a good plan; just in case.

JM

BarG

Founding Member
Out of 14 varietys mine have been germinating at irregular rates also. I believe the slower to germinate seeds may require the recommended temps. Some have done fine at a fluctuating 55-80 degrees. Now 16 varietys after tommorrows planting thanks to BigBonner, I can restart my bursa anda some Ottoman too. I may have to break some new ground to accomidate my ambitions this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.