Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Found a Gem of a Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSG

Hey guys,

I found a new blend that I thought was so good it was worth sharing!

Wrapper
-Ecuadorian Maduro

Binder
- Sumatra

Fillers
- 2 Brazilian Mata Fina
- 1/2 Nicaraguan Habano Ligero
- 1 Nicaraguan Habano Viso
- 2 Nicaraguan Habano Second

This made a perfect 7 1/4'' x 48 RG stick with a great draw. A slight resistance was present, but it was very easy to draw from. The smoke was fairly thick and white and smelt pleasently sweet.

As for flavors, it has some chocolate/cocoa, dark woods, molasses, and very earthy with a slight moss note. The smoke also had an 'oily' texture in the mouth, which I find very enjoyable.

I believe the wrapper and binder were still slightly moist, which caused the burn to be a little wonky. I believe if i let it dry a bit more that it would yield a VERY nice smoke..

If anyone happens to try my blend I would be eager to hear back from you.

Also, thank you Don for the great tobacco, mould, a cheveta! Great stuff -- you've got yourself a long-term customer.

ArizonaDave

Hey guys,

If anyone happens to try my blend I would be eager to hear back from you.

Also, thank you Don for the great tobacco, mould, a cheveta! Great stuff -- you've got yourself a long-term customer.
Sounds like a great blend! Sounds real close to a Padron Cigar, $10+ a stick. I might try it with a Double maduro= bind + wrap of Ec. Maduro.

RSG

I've actually never tried a Padron before.. I want to, but they are so expensive. But if you try it I would be happy to hear what you think!

As a side note, have you ever had burn issues with the EC Maduro wrapper and its burn?

Last edited:

Smokin Harley

Try a Padron with the smaller brown label...they're not all that expensive compared to say the anniversaries and a really good smoke. Work your way up when you get the coin. Personally I had a $23 Padron Anniversary (I forget which one exactly)and a $7.00 Padron brown label, you would think that the $16 difference would be extremely noticeable...not my palate. For $16 I can buy 2 more of the other ones.

RSG

Oh, okay, I'll definitely try that out! I saw the cheaper ones, but figured it wouldn't be a true Padron if it weren't the higher priced stuff, but I guess I can be wrong once in a while. Haha

ArizonaDave

As a side note, have you ever had burn issues with the EC Maduro wrapper and its burn?

Well, I see you're from South Florida. I'm originally from FL too. The EC Maduro wrapper takes a little longer to dry. That, and FL's 70 % humidity. Try wrapping (works best) in a paper towel, or set drying on towel or towels. Other methods could include drying over rice, over a bed of scrap tobacco leaves, etc...

RSG

Ah, that is a good point.. my other wrappers were fine but then again they were different. Although some of my Maduros dry fine.. and I burned one while wet and it was fine too, but these others don't want to dry very well. I have them in a container of old dry broadleaf, so maybe that will dry em out.

It might just be getting harder to dry down here because it's getting cooler now, which probably makes the cigars less apt to dry. Thank you for the suggestion though! It might just be the trick.

Old#12

RSG, I believe the burn issue with some of the Ecuadorian Maduro may have been discussed before. I think the topic was under Habano 2000 leaf. It makes a gorgeous wrapper but sometimes the burn isn't consistent. #12

RSG

RSG, I believe the burn issue with some of the Ecuadorian Maduro may have been discussed before. I think the topic was under Habano 2000 leaf. It makes a gorgeous wrapper but sometimes the burn isn't consistent. #12

This is good to hear! I was wondering if it was user error, which would be a serious blow to my pride.

ArizonaDave

I had forgot about that, good catch!

This is good to hear! I was wondering if it was user error, which would be a serious blow to my pride.
Yeah, sorry about the "suggestions" if you didn't need them. I had to type in a hurry. Can't remember "why" now, I must be getting old.....

RSG

No no, I was just teasing! I'm always glad to have suggestions if they help! I was joking around. Any input is welcomed by me!

Smokin Harley

In your blend if you substitute one of those Nicaraguan leaves with a San Vicente of similar leaf position you'll have a nice subtle change ,a little spicy perhaps.

ArizonaDave

In your blend if you substitute one of those Nicaraguan leaves with a San Vicente of similar leaf position you'll have a nice subtle change ,a little spicy perhaps.
Great suggestion, I almost forgot about that leaf in my collection. I do see they have the corojo oscuro back in for the blend with Criollo viso, Corojo viso, and San Vincente.

Raodwarior

Try putting a bit more case on it and pull it taught when rolling , let sit a couple days problems will go away, those 2 wrappers are my best selling cigars. Took me some time to get it right.

RSG

Try putting a bit more case on it and pull it taught when rolling , let sit a couple days problems will go away, those 2 wrappers are my best selling cigars. Took me some time to get it right.
I do pull them tight and let them sit a while, but I do not know what casing is. What exactly is that? It might be what I'm missing. I tried looking it up but I didn't see anything clear.

Raodwarior

opps sorry wrong thread for some of this answering too many questions at a time....case is moisture, take a spray bottle with Distilled Water misted over the top put them back into bag for an hour then try again.

RSG

UPDATE: I chNged the wrapper from EC Maduro to a Honduran Habano and it is very good. More of a dry smoke with less of the mollases/cocoa flavor.

RSG

I would try it, but unfortunately I do not have any. Next time a place an order I'll probably get a pound though. I've only heard great things about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.