Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stockholm tar taste dip

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezyjohn

I was sent a small sample of really old Syrian latakia and I have to say that it is nothing like the modern stuff grown and processed in Cyprus. Real aged Syrian latakia smells like smoky raisins and wine. There is a feint resinous smell too which probably comes from the pine. Whatever the case ... it is almost impossible to get your hands on these days and is no longer produced.

Charly

I had smoked both latakias, and as SqueezyJohn said, the Syrian has a very different taste profile : it ismuch less smoky with a wine like taste, more delicate than the Cyprian.

If you want to try some Syrian Latakia, you should try one blend from McClelland, they have some of the last available stock of this precious weed :
- Three Oaks Syrian
- Samovar
- Frog Morton Across the Pond
- Wilderness (with both Cyprian and Syrian latakias)
- Syrian Ringlow Reserve
- Syrian Star...

RyanM22

Cope - I don't think I'm familiar with the creosote smell. Pine definitely. It's a little hard to describe

ChinaVoodoo

I cold smoked some venison on the weekend for about 8 hours. I used wood from the "green ash" tree. I also threw in a lb of Japan 8. I'm smoking it now, and it's not very strong of a flavor. I previously did a hot smoke of Japan 8 with choke cherry for about ten minutes, and there was more flavor than this. The cold smoker just pulls the smoke out the chimney on my bbq, through a pipe into a box, then out again. It works well for meat. When I hot smoked before, I just took a wet handful of tobacco and put it on the chimney of the bbq where all the black tars and stuff collect. It collects a lot when you burn it slowly. So much that it gums the louvers so you need to hanmer them to unstick them. Anyways, I think this is a form of dry distillation, and that Latakia is smoked in such a way that the condensate collects on the leaves. There was no color change in the cold smoked tobacco. I know Latakia is smoked much longer, but I can't see that dark color coming from a standard cold smoke like this. Bob's trash can smoker is certainly closer to the correct process.
IMG_20170118_234023626.jpg

Copenhagen Forever

Cope - I don't think I'm familiar with the creosote smell. Pine definitely. It's a little hard to describe

lets see, well it smells like copenhagen. ah ha. They use to sell it in hardware stores and lumber yards for coating fence posts stuck in the ground but they outlawed it. Then they said cuprinol was better for the environment but they changed there mind and now they sell some stuff that don't work at all but cost lots of money.
I think telephone poles are dipped in pine tar creosote mix. Smells a little like roofing tar kind of, I guess.

China Voodoo, you guys in Canada know something about smok'n deer, a.
I've been searching the web for "what smells and tastes like creosote" and I get a lot of results in barbeque communities. From what I have read, most woods burn smoke with different types of creosote. I believe they were saying that not all of them are bad for you. What your doing sounds interesting though. That deer meat must be flavorful.

RyanM22

If creosote is like a chimney smell, I don't think the pine tar is what you're looking for.

I saw in your other thread you're doing a batch with fire cured. Is that the first one or have you used it before?

ChinaVoodoo

If creosote is like a chimney smell, I don't think the pine tar is what you're looking for.

I saw in your other thread you're doing a batch with fire cured. Is that the first one or have you used it before?

I think dry distilled pine tar is exactly what he's looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.