Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stockholm tar taste dip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenhagen Forever

I'm intrigued by this statement out of a page https://julianstockwin.com/2013/10/17/prick-perique-or-plug/

"The perique was left to cure for some time and when unbound revealed strong smelling black tobacco, which was cut into plugs for chewing or smoking in a pipe. If the binding had been spun yarn, the Stockholm tar used in the preparation of the rope added a special dimension to the taste and colour of the tobacco…"

This is what Copenhagen smells and taste like. I'm sure of it. I don't know how they add it to the dip safely but I've got to figure it out. In the statement above, the rope smell saturates thru the canvas and permeates the tobacco. "special dimension to the taste".

.I just finished a batch and it's in the fridge. I got enough tobacco dried to cook another 40 cans. I would like to figure this out. Can it be as simple as buying some of this rope, lopping off a small piece and aging the dip in it. I want to find out. That's where my heads at right now.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's an interesting article, and nice pics, too.

rolling-tobacco.jpg
perique.jpg

Stockholm tar is just pine tar. If you burn some dry pine branches in a closed can, that black, gooey stuff that's left behind is what you're looking for.

Bob

RyanM22

Interesting. You don't want to be adding that goop directly though.

What about strictly as an aromatic? Store it in the same container as your aging dip, but don't allow it to touch. It should pick up a lot of the aroma. Pine tar is strong stuff.

squeezyjohn

I think the description of the "strong smelling black tobacco" refers more to the pungent fermented aroma that develops under the pressure of the 'prick'/'carotte'/'perique' - at only 3 months mine has a decidedly complex malty, fruity, cheesy, meaty aroma and is far darker than the tobacco started off. If the pine tar coating smell on the rope did manage to get through the canvas and permeate the tobacco - it would have a lot of scent to compete with!

Copenhagen Forever

Thank you Bob for adding the pictures and you ideas. I will try that today. I'll be able to do something outside today. It's been a couple of frigid days here. I read on wikipedia that they burn pine roots and stumps. We got blowdowns all over the place here. The pines topple over and the roots fan up. I'll chainsaw some roots, buy an empty paint can then start my coal forge.
They make Stockholm tar, a little too pricey for me
Fullscreen capture 1102017 43529 AM.jpgTraditional sailors describe this rare grade of tar in words usually reserved for fine wines and tobaccos.

Wikipedia states that pine tar isn't water soluble. It probably wouldn't actually mix with the dip easily.

Ryan, If I can't make my own pine tar, I'll buy some of the botanic oil. They don't have a msds sheet that I've been able to find. What were you going to do with it?

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 1102017 43529 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 1102017 43529 AM.bmp.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 10

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Pine tar is sold for animal hoof issues it looks like too, Amazon has a quart of bickmore pine tar for 15. The people buying it are using it too make soap, claim it helps with psoriasis and dandruff.

Maybe paint some too the lid of the jar for storing it?

I've never smelled it but could you press your tobacco in a pine wood for the same smell or is the tar smell totally different?

RyanM22

I plan to use it as a dip flavoring.

It's funny, because I was looking at the Skoal/Cope analysis that SmokesAhoy posted last month, and the use of Elemi Essential Oil stuck out to me. I ordered a small sample-size bottle, but the scent wasn't what I was looking for.

I made a fire-cured based dip last go-round, with Wild Turkey American Honey added for flavor. It was good, but was missing something. Your post immediately struck a chord with me. This oil could end up fitting in perfectly.

As for the oil's safety.. I buy a lot of essential oils, and I can't recall any site I've bought from that didn't have all of it's oils marked "not for ingestion". I envision using 1-2 drops per can. With such a small amount, and considering it has to pass through the mouth's mucuous membrane, I feel good about it.

squeezyjohn

Smokes - Stockholm Tar is pretty different to natural pine oil ... it's more like the difference between creosote and turpentine. One is a smoky black pitch and the other is a fresh smelling refined oil. Or soot and sawdust.

Copenhagen Forever

In the days of sailing ships, I doubt that the sailors would notice any difference between the smell of their own hands vs. a subtle infusion of pine tar aroma from the Perique wrapping.

Bob

Good point! They would have had tar infused sticky hands. There would have been a transfer handling the tobacco. I saw the msds sheet on pine tar, I was looking for the sheet on the Botanic oils pine tar oil to see if it gets any less dangerous with there process.

Thanks to all for your posts. All good ideas, in fact the videos China Voodoo posted was in lightening. I didn't get much done yesterday on it.
DSC05723.jpgI bought this paint can but I see that it's coated inside. I'll have to burn that out first. It might be paint or even tool dip. I was wondering how I would collect the tar and the videos cleared that up for me. I won't be using the coal forge. I'll start it up to burn off the coating but I'll make a fire for cooking the pine roots.

ChinaVoodoo

Good point! They would have had tar infused sticky hands. There would have been a transfer handling the tobacco. I saw the msds sheet on pine tar, I was looking for the sheet on the Botanic oils pine tar oil to see if it gets any less dangerous with there process.

Thanks to all for your posts. All good ideas, in fact the videos China Voodoo posted was in lightening. I didn't get much done yesterday on it.
View attachment 19854I bought this paint can but I see that it's coated inside. I'll have to burn that out first. It might be paint or even tool dip. I was wondering how I would collect the tar and the videos cleared that up for me. I won't be using the coal forge. I'll start it up to burn off the coating but I'll make a fire for cooking the pine roots.

If that coating has any zinc in it, you should avoid it completely.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
CV, Interesting videos. The first one makes "pine" tar from a spruce or fir Christmas tree. The NOVA video is pretty clueless. The ?Swedish? one seems on the mark.

As I recall, black pine tar (for the naval stores industry) was made in the Piedmont of South/North Carolina (around 1790) by creating a wide basin--several feet wide--of clay, including a tiny, clay side drain that extended down-slope a few feet to a small, clay catch basin. Clay walls were added to the large basin, a pile of pinewood was placed inside, then a roof of clay was added to the walled basin, forming a dome. A fire was built over the large basin. As the air-free wood inside the clay dome converted to charcoal, pitch would run out of the side drain, and collect in the small basin down-slope.

x5328e04.gif

A "modern" rendition of the same process. (http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5328e/x5328e07.htm)

Light tar (sap/turpentine) was made by simply cutting a slash or "V" into the bark of standing pine trees, and collecting the sap in a clay pot. This is similar to how sap is collected from sugar maples.

Bob

Copenhagen Forever

I started the forge and burnt off the coating, there was I white residue left behind CV and zinc was the first thing that came to mind so I guess I'm looking for another pale.
DSC05727.jpg I needed to re-thing it anyway after watching the video. With this pale, it would be difficult to make something to collect the tar easily.

DSC05728.jpg Annealed a leaf spring while it was cranking.

Deluxestogie Thanks for posting that. Men were ingenious back then. The didn't want to make a little bit, they needed to make barrels of stuff and figured out how to do it.

RyanM22

The oil I ordered came in today.. can't say when I'm gunna get around to using it though

Copenhagen Forever

The oil I ordered came in today.. can't say when I'm gunna get around to using it though

Does it smell like creosote or pine?

My experiment is going slow. Were in the process of buying a piece of property here and I'm focused on that but I did buy a uncoated bucket. I got some roots off a blowdown spruce tree. I have a plan.
Untitled.jpgI'll pop a hole in the downward corner to let the dripp'ns come out into a can.
I got some furnace cement to seal the can to the bucket and I'll screw them together with drywall screws.
A sheetmetal lid and furnace cement screwed together.
I'll bury the can and build a fire around the bucket.

I'm having a soil test done today for septic before we sign papers. I got to cut thru the frost for the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.