Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Silver River

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Tried to buy some of that Kentucky Sumatra from Larry the Tobacco Butcher this last summer. He wouldn't charge me money, so I had to swap him some store bought gars & stuff. Funny feller. L the TB aka Big Bonner throws in a handful of something called Silver River. I'd never heard of that leaf before.

Fast forward. Rolling up a batch of StinkEyes last weekend. Dominican olor binder around corojo filler. Call them olorojo, hence, stinkeye. Experimenting with different wrappers, two of this, two of that; Nic, CT shade, etc. Ran onto the bag of L the TB's Silver River. Why not? Went ahead and wrapped a couple speriments with that.

silverriverstinkeye.jpg

The leaf is thin, supple, stretchy, just like you want a wrapper to be. Rather narrow, so you have nearly no center to cut out; but the veins, even beside the stem, are small. A long narrow leaf. Very light in color. Sticky sap on the undersurface, just like his sumatra. Love the odor to death. Raw, wholesome smell.

Slow forward. Been admiring these sticks each day. Couldn't stand it any more. Had to fire one up last night. Def coulda stood more dry time, cause only 3 days old. But burnt well enough so long as I kept on hitting it. And hit it I did. Sweet cedar flavor to the smoke, slight bitter leaf on the tongue, wonderful aroma, mild satisfying retrohale. Nearly no morning mouth today. This is an excellent wrapper leaf. I hope he grows more of it next year.

Mrs. B tells me he sells it mostly as seedlings. Any of you fellows tried it for wrapper?

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have around 150 pounds of that from this years crop . Just finished up stripping it a few days ago . I combined the middle leaves up to the red tips , saving the darker red tips separate . Some of the leaves are pretty and some is not but are still good . All of my tobacco this year is thin bodied from too much rain and then shut off to a hot drought . Some of those leaves was over 3' long and shrunk about 6 inches after curing . I grew it as organic .
The leaves are sticky with tobacco gum . I just hope I didn't press my bales to tight .
It smokes good with no bad after taste .
SR mixes well with Bright leaf for that little cigar flavor when made into cigarettes . It is a light color and after shredding it turns dark in color .
I have made few pure cigars out of SR and I like them .

Here is a video from last fall .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7A9Pft-G4

MikeTheNewGuy

BigBonner do you regularly sell to individual guys like us? I'd be interested in some of your tobacco if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.