Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Black shank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Planted a few Swarr Hibchman plants in the same row as Conn Broadleaf. All the Swarr plants died of black shank, but the rest of my plants ( Conn bl, Ast wrapper, Bezuki and St Andres) are okay. Must not like SA soil.

BigBonner

Founding Member
It would hard to believe it was black shank . Picture of the dyeing tobacco would help .
The reason I say this is because black shank lives in soil that has a lot of tobacco growing history . This is why farmers rotate fields . After a long rest period Black shank becomes less of a problem . Most of the time it will only appear in small areas of a field and in most severe cases it can take out large areas .

Some varieties of tobacco is more susceptible to black shank and other diseases . We can grow both black shank resistant Burley or burley that is not resistant to Black Shank . A farmer down the road may have Black shank problems while I have none . It can be carried by animals and dirty equipment . A little soil on a animals foot or a dirty plow will move black shank from one place to another .

Ben Brand

I know it was Black shank, I used to plant black shank trails for research purposes.
Will post a photo when I remember to bring my USB cable to work. Black shank spores can also be introduced by water.

Ben Brand

20170115_072534.jpg20170115_072539.jpg
This is one of the plants I cut open, and to my limited knowledge that is black shank. I know years ago somebody planted pumpkins in the patch Iv`e got my wrappers in.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That's terrifying, my stalks don't look like that until a year after hanging. Just hollowed it right out.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Yup , Black Shank

I could not believe it . Most of the time fields have to be grown in tobacco year after year for a lot of years and have B S problems .

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I,ll have to treat that spot with "Cabrio Fungicide", I don`t have any other spot I can plant my wrappers.

Interesting does it help? Would be very interesting (and helpful) to known. Alot of us hobby grower can get that problem.
It's hard to not grow on the same spot. And even if we try to rotate it's easy to do a mistake (growing chili, tomato or potatoes to soon one the spot..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I,ll have to treat that spot with "Cabrio Fungicide", I don`t have any other spot I can plant my wrappers.

Interesting does it help? Would be very interesting (and helpful) to known. Alot of us hobby grower can get that problem.
It's hard to not grow on the same spot. And even if we try to rotate it's easy to do a mistake (growing chili tomato or potatoes to soon one the spot..

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have heard of farmers spraying bleach on infected B S fields . Ridomil Gold SL Fungicide may help some . It is also good to add if a person is having seedling problems .
Bleach is great for cleaning trays and equipment . Just make sure to wash with plain water after cleaning trays .
There is a Race 1 and Race 2 black shank
Here is some good reading on B S

http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp/lessons/fungi/Oomycetes/Pages/BlackShank.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.