Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What burley to grow for yield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

For my next grow, I sow 2 variety, big gem and harrow velvet. The big gem are growing nicely but my harrow velvet plant are showing otherwise. I have to sow 2 more time but still only a couple of plant emerged, and both of them are yellowing and wilting. Started to feel like I get a bad batch of seed. It's a shame because I choose harrow velvet because of easyness to aircure, and the collumnar plant made it easy to plant it on my limited space. Now I think that I have to grow another variety of burley. I have tn90, jupiter burley and gold dollar. Which of these varieties that will give me a good yield?

And also, from what I read, big gem and gold dollar are burley but most of the seller list it as flue cure variety? This make me confused. Should I grow virginia gold instead because I already grow some big gem? I am growing for cigarettes and wanted to blend virginia and burley variety and maybe some samsun from my last grow.

ArizonaDave

For my next grow, I sow 2 variety, big gem and harrow velvet. The big gem are growing nicely but my harrow velvet plant are showing otherwise. I have to sow 2 more time but still only a couple of plant emerged, and both of them are yellowing and wilting. Started to feel like I get a bad batch of seed. It's a shame because I choose harrow velvet because of easyness to aircure, and the collumnar plant made it easy to plant it on my limited space. Now I think that I have to grow another variety of burley. I have tn90, jupiter burley and gold dollar. Which of these varieties that will give me a good yield?

And also, from what I read, big gem and gold dollar are burley but most of the seller list it as flue cure variety? This make me confused. Should I grow virginia gold instead because I already grow some big gem? I am growing for cigarettes and wanted to blend virginia and burley variety and maybe some samsun from my last grow.
Virginia gold will work. Then again, I don't do cigarette blends.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Big Gem and Virginia Gold are Flue cured but if air cured will take on a Burley flavor. The leaves will be thin though so you'll get less yield than if you grew a Burley. Yellow Twist Bud is a nice Burley. It is very mild. TN90 is a Burley. It will yield nice thick leaves. Silver River is probably a Burley. It's classification is still open for debate. It will yield the most leaf of any other variety I know.

BigBonner

Founding Member
TN 90 makes a good burley with a good yield . Yellow twist bud is ok but is lighter in color . Both need to be mixed with a flue cured variety .
Silver river , in my opinion is not a burley . I can roll pure SR in a cigarette tube and smoke it . It has a cigar taste , burns great and is not harsh . Makes a good cigar to .

Leftynick

Thank you. I dont have flue chamber so I guess it doesn't matter. Will air cure all of my crop. So TN90 it is. Wonder if it make a good combination for cigarette, air cured big gem, TN90 and samsun.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think that will be nice even if I perhaps should go for Jupiter (it's take more than TN90). But it's hard to decide which variants to grow and even harder to tell what someone else shall grow.

Smokin Harley

Big Gem and Virginia Gold are Flue cured but if air cured will take on a Burley flavor. The leaves will be thin though so you'll get less yield than if you grew a Burley. Yellow Twist Bud is a nice Burley. It is very mild. TN90 is a Burley. It will yield nice thick leaves. Silver River is probably a Burley. It's classification is still open for debate. It will yield the most leaf of any other variety I know.

I grew Virginia Gold my first season. Air-cured it but kilned it for a month and then rested it for a year in VP bags. It is what I pressed a couple months ago into Va Flake. Turned out nice and is very mild and sweet. When my perique is finished I plan on blending those together. Never had (home grown) Burley so I can't compare it correctly.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm pretty sure those 3 companies listed are for commercial farmers. You usually have to buy several pounds of seed. Most are LC which means they'll convert back to non-LC over the course of several years. Shouldn't be a big deal unless you are selling your crop to Big Tobacco.

Leftynick

I think that will be nice even if I perhaps should go for Jupiter (it's take more than TN90). But it's hard to decide which variants to grow and even harder to tell what someone else shall grow.

I try growing for yield this time rather than taste. Need to stock up my cigarette tobacco. How was your experience with jupiter? Does it give more crop weight wise compared to TN90? Maybe i need to plant them both and compare.

Leftynick

Just throwing this out there, but for yield why not step away from the older varieties? These companies sell internationally and have charts on various tobaccos and yield:
www.crosscreekseed.com/seeds/international/burley/popular-varieties
www.workmantobacco.com/tobacco-seed/burley-seed-varieties.php
www.rickardseed.com

I just go with what seeds I had in hand. I have too much seed, because of generosity of kind member here. And I only have space for maybe 20 plant.

Leftynick

I grew Virginia Gold my first season. Air-cured it but kilned it for a month and then rested it for a year in VP bags. It is what I pressed a couple months ago into Va Flake. Turned out nice and is very mild and sweet. When my perique is finished I plan on blending those together. Never had (home grown) Burley so I can't compare it correctly.

How's it compared to flue cured virginia? Good enough? Better?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I try growing for yield this time rather than taste. Need to stock up my cigarette tobacco. How was your experience with jupiter? Does it give more crop weight wise compared to TN90? Maybe i need to plant them both and compare.
The yield on Jupiter is pretty good, not shore how high (Jupiter have thinner leaf). But to grow TN90 first is good, if you ain't like Burley it's bad for you to grow them both. So take one this year and the other next year.
I think you shall try to grow most of high yielding Brightleaf and perhaps some orietal tobacco's then just a few Burley.
My wife like when she gets some Maryland also But try to grow most Brightleaf's

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Hello Lefty -

The NB11 is by far my heaviest producer in my climate (atlantic Canada) - probably 1/3 more than the TN90 - the only other variety you named that I've tried. Have no idea whether it's a burley or something else - it popped out in a bunch of seed a friend sent several years ago. And as I burn it in my pipes, can't comment on flavour - nothing in it stands out for me.

I air cure it, hanging in a shed for a year, then box it until needed.

Seed is available for sharing, if you'd like to try it.

Jack

Leftynick

Hello Lefty -

The NB11 is by far my heaviest producer in my climate (atlantic Canada) - probably 1/3 more than the TN90 - the only other variety you named that I've tried. Have no idea whether it's a burley or something else - it popped out in a bunch of seed a friend sent several years ago. And as I burn it in my pipes, can't comment on flavour - nothing in it stands out for me.

I air cure it, hanging in a shed for a year, then box it until needed.

Seed is available for sharing, if you'd like to try it.

Jack

I am interested.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Hi Lefty -

Send me a private message (click on my name, then the "private message" button) with your mailing address, and I'll get some off to you.

Jack

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I agree with Jitterbug's recommendation of Yellow Twist Bud burley, easy grow & air-cure, relatively mild and blends well with Virginias, but it is not a big yield plant. I started with a 'common' burley about a decade ago, found it overpowering as a cigarette blend, again, easy air-cure, but need several years of aging even after kiln-aged.

My current grow includes YTB burley, Virginia Bright Leaf, African Red (for the high-nicotine), Costello (smooth flavor) and several turkish strains. All will air-cure easily, but will benefit from a few months or a year of proper storage in vapor-proof bags, after kiln-aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.