Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sweet tasting varieties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komoto

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what varieties are sweet tasting when smoked.i bought some marlboro in the 80's from Mexico,it had a sweet cigar taste like a swisher .great flavor filtered.any imput would be appreciated .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've never actually grown a sweet tasting tobacco. I've grown some that were very mild and some that were reported to be the "sweetest" of the varieties. Yellow Orinoco has this reputation. Smoking it is nice in a pipe and as a filler for cigar but there is no "sweetness" associated with it. Used as chew however, it has a "sweetness" to it that other tobaccos do not have. There is no correlation between sucrosester content and perceived sweetness either . You can choose the mildness of your tobacco though by growing tobacco known to be mild and using the lower leaves.

Randy B

Tom_in_TN

I've smoked a good number of hand-rolled cigars over time but could not honestly tell you they tasted sweet in my mouth, nor can I tell you exactly what tobaccos were in them. That would be the master blender's secret, sorta of like "I could tell you exactly what's in the blend, but then I'd have to kill you." The rollers do not know what's in the blend either, they are just given the leaves and told what proportions to use in the cigar. What I can say is some cigars have had a sweet 'smell' that I experienced by toking a mouthful of smoke, then half-way inhaling the smoke, closed my mouth and gently exhale through the nose. By doing this I have experienced 'tastes' like cinnamon (or a sweet spice 'flavor'), citrus, caramel, black cherry, chocolate, coffee, mocha and a variety of 'tastes' that are indescribable, but pleasant.

If you want a high quality cigar, at a very decent price, then try the Drew Estates Natural, Juicy Lucy, which has a sweetened wintergreen flavor added to the head of the cigar, and a 'taste' of caramel (see above instructions). But, and here is the key to getting the caramel 'taste', the cigar must be properly aged at least one full year and two is much better. Also try the Drew Estates Natural, White Rabbit for a consistently sweet 'taste'. That one needs at least 2 to 3 years of aging, but those cigars will be consistent. The White Rabbit has a much more complex sweet 'taste' than the Juicy Lucy and it doesn't have the added wintergreen flavor on the head.

So, my input would be to spend lots of money buying all sorts of 'smokes' age them properly and once you find what you like then buy all of it you can afford.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tutti-frutti flavored factory cigars aside, there is one promising approach to producing a sweet tasting leaf. Most flue-cure varieties have relatively high sugar content (compared to, say, burley) at the time of harvest. This high sugar does not remain after the high temperatures of the flue-curing process. If, instead, you slowly air-cure a flue-cure variety, especially upper leaves allowed to fully ripen, then the sugar content remains high, though such leaf tends to be bitter.

Now, kiln the leaf. You end up with very dark, sometimes black leaf that actually tastes sweet. I use this approach with Hickory Pryor, a flue-cure heirloom. The lower leaves don't taste particularly sweet, but the higher leaves are distinctively sweet. I use it as an oscuro cigar wrapper. This does not seem to be the case with the tip leaf of most cigar varieties, burleys or Orientals, which do get quite dark, but do not seem to taste sweet.

In the realm of factory cigars, Bacarat cigars use sweet gum (rather than gum Arabic or gum tragacanth) as the adhesive on the head, giving them the taste of a sugar-dipped cigar, if that's what you like.

Bob

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Ko -

I've had a couple of unknown types develop a bit of a sweet nutty flavour, and one plant labelled Monte Calme Brun also demonstrated that trait, after they came out of the kiln. Didn't try them without the kiln. Lost the MCB seed, been trying for 3 years to get more; this year Jitterbug sent me some and I'm trying it again.

One of the unknowns is a prolific yielder for me, and Don has a few seeds (half my stock!) of that one. He suggested naming it NB11.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Yes, it's for my pipe. I haven't taken up cranking yet, but may have to if my denturist doesn't get my new choppers soon. It's damned awkward trying to enjoy my pipes with no way to hold them except my hand!

Some of the NB11 leaves are very thin and strong, and might work for cigar wrapper too. That's another of my "round tuits".

BigBonner

Founding Member
Doesn't natural fermenting tobacco make tobacco a little sweeter . I know if I have bales that are high moisture they will ferment and smell sweet .

wazzappenning

i believe ive had those mexican marlboros but mine were in the 90s. they are much different now kind of bad actually.

i think most of the sweetness is actually sugar. im not sure its good to add food products to smoke. they are approved to eat, but i dont believe there are any studies on toxicity of burning these ingredients. phillip morris http://www.phillipmorris.com/en/cms/Products/Smokeless_Tobacco/Ingredients/Ingredients_By_Brand/default.aspx is fairly open about what they put in their cigs. i say fairly because the us site is basic and shows things that may not scare you. listed for marlboro red is:

Tobacco
Water
Sugars (Sucrose and/or Invert Sugar and/or High Fructose Corn Syrup)
Propylene Glycol
Glycerol
Licorice Extract
Diammonium Phosphate
Ammonium Hydroxide
Cocoa and Cocoa Products
Carob Bean and Extract
Natural and Artificial Flavors

compare this to what they list on pm international. pick a country and brand and see ingredients that must be in american cigs as well, just not listed.

http://www.pmi.com/eng/our_products/ingredients/pages/technical_products_information.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.