Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lefty second try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

After finished my experiment with poor man grow, I had some ideas on how to grow tobacco. I finally giving up on growing in container and go straight to planting on gardenspace. After a brief conversation with my landlord son, he gave me permission to use my backyard as garden. Only he wouldn't promised that his livestock wouldn't touch my plant. So i am planning to extend my latest grow to 40 plant if possible.

My plan is to grow cigarette tobacco, with some cigar tobacco. I am currently smoke 10 sticks cigarette a day, sometime less. So I think 34 plant could be enough for my cigarette, another 6 plants reserved for cigar variety. Someone correct me if I am wrong in my calculation.

The variety that I have started sowing are:
Big gem
Virginia gold
TN90
Harrow velvet
Samsun
Corojo
Besuki
Havana 608

On the garden currently there are 3 little dutch plant growing. I will post some picture for you guys to see whether my spacing is correct.

ChinaVoodoo

That sounds about right to me. I would grow extra in order to build up a supply that's aged, though. Otherwise you'll always be smoking fresh tobacco.

It's great to hear you've reached an understanding with your landlord. Good news.

Leftynick

That sounds about right to me. I would grow extra in order to build up a supply that's aged, though. Otherwise you'll always be smoking fresh tobacco.

It's great to hear you've reached an understanding with your landlord. Good news.

Yeah, I sure would like to have some aged tobacco supply. But, even though the backyard is quite big, the lot is shared with 3 other tenants so I can only grow some plant without entering my neighbour space. Maybe I can push 60 plant by adding more row. Will try and see when I till the space tomorrow

ArizonaDave

Yeah, I sure would like to have some aged tobacco supply. But, even though the backyard is quite big, the lot is shared with 3 other tenants so I can only grow some plant without entering my neighbour space. Maybe I can push 60 plant by adding more row. Will try and see when I till the space tomorrow
Don't forget, you can grow around your outer walls too. DeluxeStoogie has a thread I believe cozy trash can kiln. Another way to increase smokability quicker. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...zy-Flue-cure-Chamber?highlight=cozy+trash+can

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I can push...by adding more row.
You will be more likely to get better quality leaf by not crowding the plants.

While small Orientals ("Turkish") varieties can be planted as close as 6 inches apart, the full-size varieties (Virginias and cigar types) benefit from at least 21 inches between plants. Distance between rows is needed only for human access--you need to be able to get in there. So if you stagger the rows, then you can plant 3 rows (with 21 inch spacing diagonally between plants in adjacent rows), and leave an access path between every 3 rows and along the outside margins.

Bob

Leftynick

Thanks Arizona Dave and Deluxestogie. this is the spacing that I used for my little dutch tobacco.

P_20170122_095638.jpg
and I think I will use this spacing for all my plant. The space I have now can accommodate 11 plants.
P_20170122_110001.jpg
I will add another bed behind the current one to fit 3 rows, 10 plant per row staggered like I do my little dutch plant.

My seed already sprouted, 20 seed on egg carton and some spare seed in case of negligence.
P_20170122_105324.jpgP_20170122_105328.jpg

As for turkish spacing, are samsun plants also need 6 inches spacing? I've seen some blog on the internet that show a really big leafed samsun plant. but I read on the oriental thread that closer spacing gives more flavor.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Her is a link to Grin-Ars, you can use it to read some about different variants, alot of them are there, I have written"samsun" but you can. Change that (and if you want to see other things just take away"nicotiana":http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npg...=on&si=0&.cgifields=si&.cgifields=reverseSome times you find: "Detailed Accession Observation Page" under "Observations"That is some times really interesting to click in to..-hope that will help you. And remember that orient often have "green leaf yield" and not "dry weight"..

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
A 6 inch spacing will yield smaller plants but they will have a stronger Turkish flavor (do not top them). I've planted over a dozen Turkish varieties anywhere from 6 inches to 36 inches. The 36 inch plants were definitely taller and still had a nice Turkish flavor, just not as strong as the ones planted at 6 inches. Why not plant some a 6 inches and some at 30 inches?

Leftynick

Her is a link to Grin-Ars, you can use it to read some about different variants, alot of them are there, I have written"samsun" but you can. Change that (and if you want to see other things just take away"nicotiana":http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npg...=on&si=0&.cgifields=si&.cgifields=reverseSome times you find: "Detailed Accession Observation Page" under "Observations"That is some times really interesting to click in to..-hope that will help you. And remember that orient often have "green leaf yield" and not "dry weight"..

thank you. I have no idea about ars-grin before. Should do my study here before starting my seed. I have been struggling to find detail about variety and picture of them. well may be next grow then.

Leftynick

A 6 inch spacing will yield smaller plants but they will have a stronger Turkish flavor (do not top them). I've planted over a dozen Turkish varieties anywhere from 6 inches to 36 inches. The 36 inch plants were definitely taller and still had a nice Turkish flavor, just not as strong as the ones planted at 6 inches. Why not plant some a 6 inches and some at 30 inches?

I can definitely do 6 inches but 30 inches will take some valuable space. maybe some at 6 inches and some at 20 inches.

I have calculated the spacing between my little dutch plant. The spacing between plant is 20 inches (horizontal on the picture) and between row is 11 inches (vertical on the picture). These will be only two row bed so I think it is okay for closer row spacing as there will be space to walk beside the row (on the lower pic) I will use this as baseline for my spacing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In your photo above, imagine an equilateral triangle, with 1 Little Dutch plant at each apex. The meaningful distance between them is the length of the sides of that triangle, rather than the vertical line between rows.

Lefty_plantSpacing.jpg

With regard to Samsun, in the native growing district of Turkey (near the Black Sea city of Samsun), Samsun and Bafra are planted at wide spacing. But Jitterbugdude is correct, in that you can plant them at any spacing you choose.

Just about every Oriental that I've grown at wide spacing has reached 6 feet or more in height. I believe that those that I've planted at very close spacing produce much more flavorful (though smaller) leaves. By "close," I mean 6 to 9 inches.

Bob

Leftynick

So the spacing should be correct then. Thank you. I will try planting some samsun at closer, and some at wider spacing, just to see which one I like.

Leftynick

Too busy as I started to work again after 2 months rest after operation. However, here some update

P_20170206_190142.jpg

My tobacco patch. Inspired by deluxestogie's 4 line staggered row. Notice the rocks on the side, this is actually the rubble my landlord use when building the house I currently rent in. It is hard work, digging this using hoe. But it is good sweat, as I dont really exercise much these days

Here is my planned list of grow
Big gem 10
Harrow velvet 7
Tn90 7
Besuki 3
Corojo 3
Havana 608 3
Samsun 5
Virginia gold 10
Gold dollar 7

55 plants. In addition of 3 little dutch plant I have currently, makes 58 plant.

The focus of this time grow is cigarette tobacco with some cigar on the side.

I already transfered 6 big gem plant, the early start I do before planning on big grow like this. Will top up another 4 plant later.

P_20170206_190228.jpg

my little dutch were attacked by worms. It take only one night to do this kind of damage to my plant.

P_20170206_190200.jpg
P_20170206_190210.jpg

Off topic, can any of you identify this beetle? It is attacking my grape vine, eating away the leaves from the plant.

P_20170206_191744.jpg

Leftynick

Sorry but I can't see the Beetle that well, can't you take a closer picture??

I tried my best to capture the beetle picture but my phone camera just won't pick it. Closer picture will make the camera to pick up the background instead of the beetle.

There are as many as 400,000 named beetle species, so this might be a challenge to identify.

This Australian site discusses many of agricultural importance, and has one prime suspect, the African Black Beetle: https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/olives/african-black-beetle-horticulture?page=0,1, which can infest grapes.

Bob

It looks different, and smaller. I just want to identify to know how to prevent them. I tried the organic spray from my local supermarket and it doesn't even budge. I thought there were no pest in my country that will attack the vine, guess I am wrong. Thank you for your information. It is an experiment, to see whether I can grow grape from seed, in tropic anyway. Will force it to blossom by pruning end of this month.

Back on topic, my seedling is in second week, and I have started to feed them organic fertilizer by soaking organic chicken fertilizer in water (NPK 3:1:3). It started to grow overnight, especially TN90. I start my seed in some plastic container and then transfer them into plastic egg carton, using only morning sun (5 hour of direct sunlight). It will be slower to grow because of the 5 hour of light, but easier to control, and cheaper too. No picture this time, will update when I have the time.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
The little I saw of it, it would be what we in sweden call "ear vortex beetle" do not know if the name is known by anyone in here.. But I can only find the Swedish name. And after that that the Swedish language is not appropriate to write so... Directly translated, it would have a name like that..But the damage itself looks more like a Colorado beetle had been there.Bob in alot of European countries farmers must tell if some beetle or other animals have been visiting so I don't think it's a bad Idea to put up a picture on it.. Leftynick:If it is a "ear vortex beetle" nematodes is the thing we have against it.. Don't you have any farmers in the neighborhood you can ask?

Leftynick

The little I saw of it, it would be what we in sweden call "ear vortex beetle" do not know if the name is known by anyone in here.. But I can only find the Swedish name. And after that that the Swedish language is not appropriate to write so... Directly translated, it would have a name like that..But the damage itself looks more like a Colorado beetle had been there.Bob in alot of European countries farmers must tell if some beetle or other animals have been visiting so I don't think it's a bad Idea to put up a picture on it.. Leftynick:If it is a "ear vortex beetle" nematodes is the thing we have against it.. Don't you have any farmers in the neighborhood you can ask?

There are only rice farmer around my area. As the beetle doesn't attack any other plant, I guess it is fine. Will prune the vine anyway. Just waiting until the plant reach 1 year old this end of February. And grape vine is not common here, as we are in tropic region. Only hobby grower had them, and most of them plant from cuttings.

Status
Not open for further replies.