Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi everyone does anyone know where is Don of WLT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidoff

But I definitely believe that to import WLT to NZ is totally by luck. Seems like everybody in NZ try to get WLT from Don but not everyone can 100% get their stuff. As I concluded it is not becos of the amount we order. It is just becos the customs in NZ has a random checking process. If you are lucky around 10-14 days you can get your parcel. If not they will ask you to go for QTC which is the heat treatment. After that the NZ customs will gonna assess your parcel. And in my experience, the parcel was keep by them and ask me to pay the duty or send back to sender for free as.

I hope anybody in NZ can share their experience after the QTC heat treatment and still can get their WLT.

Thanks everyone

Davidoff

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I have over 100 regular customers in Kiwiland, some for more than 5 years with monthly orders, and yours was the first to ever have been returned.

These are the terms and conditions you agreed to accept prior to placing your order.

[h=1]Terms and Conditions[/h][h=3]The following Terms and Conditions apply to the use of this Web site as well as all transactions conducted through the site.[/h]
  • Legal Notice
  • All notices from Whole Leaf Tobacco to You may be posted on our Website and will be deemed delivered within thirty (30) days after posting. Notices from You to Whole Leaf Tobacco shall be made either by e-mail, sent to the address we provide on our Web site, or first class mail to our address at:

*International Shipping* Please read before ordering. You (the buyer) are responsible for knowing the laws which govern your ability to purchase whole leaf tobacco in your country. No refunds will be issued for confiscated product. You are also responsible for any taxes, duty, VAT, or any other fees associated with your order once it arrives in your country. We will send the International Harmonized tariff code with each order, but this does not assure your customs department will honor it. In the event the order is returned, we will issue a refund equal to the product costs only. You will be responsible for the shipping costs.

• Copyright
  • All content appearing on this Web site is the property of:

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Copyright © 2008-2017 Whole Leaf Tobacco. All rights reserved. As a user, you are authorized only to view, copy, print, and distribute documents on this Web site so long as (1) the document is used for informational purposes only, and (2) any copy of the document (or portion thereof) includes the following copyright notice: Copyright © 2008-2017 Whole Leaf Tobacco. All rights reserved.

• Trademarks
  • All brand, product, service, and process names appearing on this Web site are trademarks of their respective holders. Reference to or use of a product, service, or process does not imply recommendation, approval, affiliation, or sponsorship of that product, service, or process by Whole Leaf Tobacco. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring by implication, estoppel, or otherwise any license or right under any patent, copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property right of Whole Leaf Tobacco or any third party, except as expressly granted herein.

• Use Of Site
  • This site may contain other proprietary notices and copyright information, the terms of which must be observed and followed. Information on this site may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. Information, including product pricing and availability, may be changed or updated without notice. Whole Leaf Tobacco and its subsidiaries reserve the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, and/or cancel orders in its discretion, including, without limitation, if Whole Leaf Tobacco believes that customer conduct violates applicable law or is harmful to the interests of Whole Leaf Tobacco and its subsidiaries.
    *International Shipping* Please read before ordering. You (the buyer) are responsible for knowing the laws which govern your ability to purchase whole leaf tobacco in your country. No refunds will be issued for confiscated product. You are also responsible for any taxes, duty, VAT, or any other fees associated with your order once it arrives in your country. We will send the International Harmonized tariff code with each order, but this does not assure your customs department will honor it. In the event the order is returned, we will issue a refund equal to the product costs only. You will be responsible for the shipping costs. If you select UPS International, you MUST include your phone number. Failure to provide ALL information WILL lead to delays in shipping.

• Privacy Policy
  • Whole Leaf Tobacco use of personal information that you may submit to Whole Leaf Tobacco through this Web site is governed by the Whole Leaf Tobacco Privacy Policy.

• Shipping & Delivery
  • At this time, Whole Leaf Tobacco ships merchandise to locations within the United States and U.S. territories, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands.
    *International Shipping* Please read before ordering. Shipping cost per pound drop dramatically as the order quantity increases. Shipping to Canada...4 lbs is about $10 per lb., 6 lbs is $8 per lb., and 20 lbs is $5 per lb. Shipping to the United Kingdom and most of the rest of the world will add about $3 per pound to these costs. You (the buyer) are responsible for knowing the laws which govern your ability to purchase whole leaf tobacco in your country. No refunds will be issued for confiscated product. You are also responsible for any taxes, duty, VAT, or any other fees associated with your order once it arrives in your country. We will send the International Harmonized tariff code with each order, but this does not assure your customs department will honor it. In the event the order is returned, we will issue a refund equal to the product costs only. You will be responsible for the shipping costs. If you select UPS International, you MUST include your phone number. Failure to provide ALL information WILL lead to delays in shipping.

• International
  • Customs and import duties may be applied to International orders when the shipment reaches its destination. Such charges are the responsibility of the recipient of your order and vary from country to country. Contact your local customs office for details.

Shipping laws are different in each country. It is your responsibility to check with your Customs office to verify whether the country to which you are shipping permits the shipment of your order. Whole Leaf Tobacco is not responsible for any direct, indirect, punitive, or consequential damages that arise from improper international shipping practices.
    Please read before ordering. You (the buyer) are responsible for knowing the laws which govern your ability to purchase whole leaf tobacco in your country. No refunds will be issued for confiscated product. You are also responsible for any taxes, duty, VAT, or any other fees associated with your order once it arrives in your country. We will send the International Harmonized tariff code with each order, but this does not assure your customs department will honor it. In the event the order is returned, we will issue a refund equal to the product costs only. You will be responsible for the shipping costs.

• Return Policy
  • You may purchase merchandise from this Web site by using any one of the payment options listed in (link to Payment Options). Whole Leaf Tobaccoreserves the right to change its payment procedures at any time without prior notice to you.
    Return Policy
    Semi-perishable Items:
    Tobacco is semi-perishable. Many hours of research has gone into our packaging to assure the product arrives in proper order (or case) which allows manipulating the leaf with minimal loss. Satisfaction with your purchase of Whole Leaf Tobacco is our primary goal. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, simply notify us within 7 days of receipt and we'll make it right with either a replacement item or a full refund of the item(s) purchased (less shipping) —whichever you prefer.
    Non-Perishable Items:
    We are happy to refund or exchange non-perishable item(s) purchased (less shipping) so long as the item(s) is returned sealed in it’s original packaging. We do not accept opened packages for return. We do not accept returns on electric devices.
    If you should need to return an item, please use the “contact us” form and instructions on how to return an item will be sent to you. Please include your order number for reference.
    Seeds:
    Tobacco seeds are non-returnable and are sold as-is, but we will send replacement seeds if a problem with germination has occurred.

Davidoff

Hi Don, Yup I have seen your terms and conditions I accept that, but I just wanna know are they all in big order like me last time 7 kg? And also after the QTC process can they get the parcel? I just wanna know which part of the process goes wrong. I am not saying it is not possible for everyone. If somebody like me have a big order will they gonna have the same situation?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My longest continual customer from NZ orders 10 lbs twice a month. I have never heard of any difficulties with receiving his orders for the past 3 - 4 years.

Orson Carte

Don -

As a recent first-time buyer from you (who has been held up and paying for 'heat treatment') it is most interesting (and heartening) to learn that this returned parcel in question is a rarity.
As a matter of interest, three of my good friends also placed almost identical orders in the weeks after I had placed mine and all three received their deliveries, without any holdups whatsoever, seven to twelve days later.
It certainly does appear that parcels are randomly opened and inspected at the Mail Centre and if you are one of the unlucky few you have no real choice to go through with the cost of testing. They indicated that mine was held up because it showed 'some signs of disease'. (Which I think is just bureaucratic bulldust. However, what else can one do but play their game?)
What I'm still trying to figure out is just what made Customs jump on Davidoffs and demand duty. Don, do you have an theory on this? The only real difference between all the orders I know of and this returned one is that it's weight is more than double.

Davidoff

By the way Orson, did you rececived your parcel after the heat treatment? That is what I am concerning about...

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I have heard of people being charged for heat treating, but they just pay the fee and get their tobacco. I recently heard one pound was heat treated at a cost of $50 or so, so I'd suggest making a worthwhile purchase of 6 to 10 pounds so the cost per pound for heat treating is divided for a lower cost per pound.

Orson Carte

To answer your question David, I am still waiting for the 'treatment' to be completed and the parcel returned back to the Mail Centre.
My package (of 6 lbs) was shipped from the US on 28 December, so it has been in the system now for just over four weeks.
By the way of general information, the heat treatment is carried out for the Customs Department by an independent contractor (called 'QTC'). They merely treat it and then send it back to the Mail Centre.
Don - the cost of treating one pound is exactly the same as treating any quantity, up to at least sixty pounds - $45.
- I also find it interesting to hear you say that you have someone placing two separate orders of ten pounds every month. I wonder if that person 'knows' something more than we do about how the system works.
Perhaps anything above ten pounds draws attention. Otherwise, why would he not simply order one package of twenty pounds per month?
I really do feel that this is where David ran into trouble - his 15 pounds exceeded a threshold. Even if there was no Duty liable, GST (sales tax, at 15%) would be automatically payable on that amount. On amounts up to 10lbs it's not.
As I've already said, this is my first order so my experience is somewhat limited. However, I am reasonably confident that I will receive the tested package eventually.
I say this because an acquaintance of mine (and member of this forum) had to pay for the same testing procedure with his first order last year and eventually received the delivery (at no extra cost) six weeks after it left the States. His second order, made fairly recently, sailed through without any interruption.
I mentioned previously, three other friends of mine (who placed their orders well after I did) recently had their orders delivered lightning-quick, without any costs or holdup.
It's pretty obvious that the Mail Centre (or Customs, or whatever) is opening some (and definitely not all) of the packages.
As long as we eventually receive the packages, without having to pay a huge amount of tax, I don't think anyone's going to complain. (On 'manufactured tobacco' products the duty is well over $1000 per kg).
What I'm struggling with understanding is just what happened in your case. I guess we're all trying to figure out just how your order was different from the hundreds of others that apparently get through unscathed.
Another thing I'd really like to know is -
1. Who told them to send it back, and 2. just who paid the return freight on your returned package?
No-one wants to return a package, of course, even if it costs nothing to do so - the freight to NZ costs more than the tobacco so you're always going to get less than half of your money back on a returned item.
Finally, I'd like to say Don that I'm most impressed with your operation. If there any hiccups at all they are due to the red tape here in NZ.

riverstone

That NZ Post letter states that it considered a 'commercial' shipment, so I'm picking it is the size of the shipment that dictates how it is viewed by customs.
2 shipments of 10lb every month? Only one comment for that. "Chop Chop"

Orson Carte

Davidoff -
Despite trying every enhancement I couldn't read the entire contents of that letter to you (shown above) from New Zealand Post.
If Riverstone is correct and it does state that your order was considered a 'commercial shipment', then this is undoubtedly the reason for your difficulties, pure and simple.
End of story!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The letter:
NZ_letter.jpg

Bob

COLIN

You exceeded the GST limit's allowable for imported goods. Costoms combine the purchase price of products and shiping if this exceeds $400.00 dollars then GST is payable .The GST payable on $400.00 15%= $60.00 . If you do not organise to pay the GST with costoms they will destroy it or you can have it sent back. The best way to avoid problems is to keep your order under $400 including shipping. The other problem is if they decide to open your order and see that it has frogs eyes they believe this to be a diease and require this to be heat treated. The cost of this treatment $45.00 up to 5kg .

Orson Carte

You are quite correct in saying that GST (sales tax) is payable on the quantity of whole-leaf under discussion. (17 pounds)
The cost of this shipment, including freight was US$364.95, which converts to NZ$513.29 (approx., depending upon the exchange rate on any particular day).
With GST added, the cost of the goods would stand at NZ$590.28. But then add to this the cost of heat treatment (which, by the way is $45 for any amount from 1kg up to 25kg) and the total cost is now NZ$635.28.
However the figure might surprise our American friends, there's much worse to come;
Because 17 pounds is considered a 'commercial shipment' excise duty is payable on the whole amount. And this adds NZ1051.83 per kilogram - that is, there is duty of NZ$8099.10 due for the shipment.
This brings the total cost of importing 17 pounds of whole-leaf to $NZ8734.37 (Or, approx. US$ 6200 .)
I hope this illustrates why (up until I saw the letter, above) I was very interested in trying to make sense of David's problem

webmost

You are quite correct in saying that GST (sales tax) is payable on the quantity of whole-leaf under discussion. (17 pounds)
The cost of this shipment, including freight was US$364.95, which converts to NZ$513.29 (approx., depending upon the exchange rate on any particular day).
With GST added, the cost of the goods would stand at NZ$590.28. But then add to this the cost of heat treatment (which, by the way is $45 for any amount from 1kg up to 25kg) and the total cost is now NZ$635.28.
However the figure might surprise our American friends, there's much worse to come;
Because 17 pounds is considered a 'commercial shipment' excise duty is payable on the whole amount. And this adds NZ1051.83 per kilogram - that is, there is duty of NZ$8099.10 due for the shipment.
This brings the total cost of importing 17 pounds of whole-leaf to $NZ8734.37 (Or, approx. US$ 6200 .)
I hope this illustrates why (up until I saw the letter, above) I was very interested in trying to make sense of David's problem

Holy Scheiss!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
17lbs of tobacco in nz costs more than my last truck. Your king really don't want you touching the stuff holy moly.

Orson Carte

17lbs of tobacco in nz costs more than my last truck. Your king really don't want you touching the stuff holy moly.

Well, unlike you guys we don't actually have a King.
What we do have, however, is a Government which profits enormously from the tax it levies on all manufactured tobacco. Since 2010 the cost of tobacco has been steadily and regularly ramped-up. On a $20 (US$14.25) pack of twenty cigarettes, for example, (and some a much dearer) the Government reaps $13.33 in excise duty and $2.61 in GST(sales tax). In other words, 80% of the cost of each packet (or nearly $16) goes directly into government pot. Essentially, it's an extra tax on the poor - who comprise a large majority of the smokers- but I won't expand on that aspect.
All this is done under the guise of making smokers quit. Yeah, right!
The point implied, above, was that no-one here who imports whole leaf tobacco is likely to do that to do so if it is taxed (commercially) at NZ$1051 a kilogram (US$750). (US$341 per pound)
I know it sounds astronomical - and it is!
But, because a 50 gram (2oz) pack of ryo tobacco costs just over NZ$80 at a store we are actually paying far more this - namely, NZ$1600 per kilogram! And it's planned to keep making it dearer still.
However, if WLT can be landed at my doorstep, free of duty, for NZ$90 per kg (US$29 per lb) you can probably see why we'd really like to keep doing this.
ps. Just wait till your new King discovers the money to be made out of smokers.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Oh I can see why. It sounds like the guy Don mentioned has ordering down to a science, were I in your country I'd copy that or try growing, the scenes from lotr made it look like paradise there, good luck.

Orson Carte

Oh I can see why. It sounds like the guy Don mentioned has ordering down to a science, were I in your country I'd copy that or try growing, the scenes from lotr made it look like paradise there, good luck.

It IS a paradise here - though most of us, most of the time, either don't realise it or simply take it for granted. Although I've been opining about our tax-grabbing government, they all do it, and we're regularly tied in first-place, with Denmark, as the least corrupt country of the world.
So, if you're interested, SA, you may also like to know that we also welcome immigrants. (Not even any lung-checks!)
And, yes -anyone watching this thread and thinking of importing whole leaf tobacco now knows exactly what and what not to do.
(Most tobacco grows very here. I for one certainly grow my own. Importing a little of the more exotic stuff as well is just part of the hobby).

Status
Not open for further replies.