Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What To Do - Volunteer Seedlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu

I was wondering what you fellows would suggest me to do. A few months ago I threw a few seedpods randomly in the yard because I had collected ample seed and because I was interested if anything would turn up. They're Besuki seedpods. Some time ago I noticed that in one place, the seeds had germinated and a little pool of seedlings was forming. We're a few weeks ahead in time now and the seedlings have grown. However, they don't seem to be in the greatest condition ever. So I'm contemplating either to let them be and see how they turn out. Or I dig them out and transplant them to individual pots. Below are a few photos. In order, the pictures are from January 3rd, 4th, 19th and 28th.

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Re: What To Do

Transplant em! What an awesome crop that could be!

I'd get them with a shovel and drop into some water and gently agitate the root balls so you can slide plants out

BigBonner

Founding Member

Pull them and move them . From the looks of pictures 3 and 4 , you have some dampening off occurring . Little round spots and dying yellow bottom leaves .
The wall also has some algae growing on it and that shows there is too much moisture .
Pull what you need and discard the rest . This will help keep disease down . Planting with good air flow and sun and they should be ok . Left the way they are they will probably rot off at the bottom and fall over .

Smokin Harley

I was wondering what you fellows would suggest me to do. A few months ago I threw a few seedpods randomly in the yard because I had collected ample seed and because I was interested if anything would turn up. They're Besuki seedpods. Some time ago I noticed that in one place, the seeds had germinated and a little pool of seedlings was forming. We're a few weeks ahead in time now and the seedlings have grown. However, they don't seem to be in the greatest condition ever. So I'm contemplating either to let them be and see how they turn out. Or I dig them out and transplant them to individual pots. Below are a few photos. In order, the pictures are from January 3rd, 4th, 19th and 28th.

View attachment 19925

View attachment 19926

View attachment 19927

View attachment 19928

dig up the clump , thin and baby them a week or so . plant the best ones in a suitable plot. They're probably not doing well because theyre crowded.

Tutu

Thanks for the advice. I followed up and have now transplanted them. Got you guys some photographs. I got to say though, none of them look like they're going to make it. They've been well watered and given a comfortable treatment but they're having a difficult time it seems. I got 17 of them in little pots and we will see how many of them will actually make it to adulthood. Got quite a few plants coming up anyway so it wouldn't be a big issue if none of them did.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

Smokin Harley

I think just for trial and error purposes I'd give a few of those big ones a haircut on the biggest leaves ,should stimulate some root growth and maybe they'll perk up some. Can't hurt right?

rainmax

Founding Member

What a lovely garden.
Make some beds in the middle of lawn like deluxestogie did. Put at least 50 plants in the ground that you can have some decent tobacco crop. After the season make lawn again like it was before. Then make another bed few meters away for next season. Like that you can make crop rotation. Soil is rich, Why don't you try?

And leave this small babies like they were. You can only get some bonsai trees with some disease, if you know what I mean? If you have place, make decent crop and fight for the best result...

Tutu

That is nice of you to say, thank you Rainmax.
Although I like the idea of making tobacco beds a lot, the problem is that this place has been build last year and although it looks to have a nice layer of soil, it really doesn't. There's only a thin layer of dirt before it's only rocks and rubble. Really not such a great place for anything to grow. I am quite sure that the plants are better of in containers. Also, it gives me room to experiment a little and see what kind of soil types are good for tobacco. Add to that the fact that I can't predict how long I'll be staying here. Could be years, could be months.

Leftynick

Although I like the idea of making tobacco beds a lot, the problem is that this place has been build last year and although it looks to have a nice layer of soil, it really doesn't. There's only a thin layer of dirt before it's only rocks and rubble. Really not such a great place for anything to grow. I am quite sure that the plants are better of in containers. Also, it gives me room to experiment a little and see what kind of soil types are good for tobacco. Add to that the fact that I can't predict how long I'll be staying here. Could be years, could be months.

I can understand. My current tobacco bed is the same condition as your yard. Thin layer of soil then a lot of rocks and rubble. What make it worse, my landlord used rubble from demolished building, making it difficult to till the soil; bricks and all.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm sure if the garden looks good, the landlord won't mind. If you moved, would you be taking your potted plants with you? If not, I think you would do better with putting plants in the ground. No doubt if you talked to foolks nearby you could get composted manure to fertilize with.

Tutu

It is company property, so the landlord is practically my boss. To be honest, I think I will keep things this way. It has advantages as well. You see, I intend to grow all year round. Doing that in the same bed over and over again doesn't seem a great idea. As I have a problem with TMV as well, this will be more difficult to get rid of in a bed. Besides, I like the containers quite a bit. I can change the plants around to different locations, I can test different soil mixtures more easily. If I move, it would be to a different country, in which case I won't be taking the containers with me. Using the containers is a temporary challenge, but a nice one. In the future I do intend to grow in the soil. But this soil here needs a bit more time before it can be used. There's not much soil to begin with, most of it is rubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.