Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Has Anyone Used Maryland Tobacco for Making Snus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have not used it for anything other than pipe and cigar but it is rather bland so it would probably NOT make a better tasting snus.

RyanM22

I tried it in loose leaf chew.. thought it had a bitter taste

Copenhagen Forever

I used it instead of fire cured and it was fine. I ran out of fire.
3/4 burley
1/8 dark air
1/8 maryland
I tried it when it finished breathing and it was good. I froze the lot and won't get to using it for a while.
I would like to try 1/2 burley and 1/2 maryland sometime.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Might be good in blending down the strength of dark air without changing the texture like the addition of midribs does.

riverstone

I am growing some Catterton to mix in to my cigarette blend. I will let you know what its like in about 12 months. It is supposed to be part of the 'Marlboro' blend. The one thing I can tell you is that it grows big leaves (30" x 15") and air cures easily to a gold colour at this stage. Stalks are yet to dry.

Copenhagen Forever

I got out a package of the lot with the Maryland in it and have been using it for a couple of days. I think I like it better than my usual with the fire cured. It's mellower in taste yet seems a little stronger in nicotine.

Pasteurized

Maryland definitely has a lower nicotine content than burley or dark air cured, most particularly if you include the stems in snus-making, as I always do. Maryland is the perfect tobacco to use for snus-making, if one desires to quit. Gradually decreasing the Maryland content of snus, while gradually increasing the Turkish content of snus over a period of time, would allow one to lower the nicotine content in make-your-own snus over time, making it exceedingly easy to eventually quit snus if one wished.

Status
Not open for further replies.