Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What's a sweatbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyhound

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what a sweatbox is. Here's what a dictionary says about it: "a device for causing tobacco leaves, fruit, or hides to sweat". I understand that sweating tobacco leaves is another word for fermentation, but this is the extent of my knowledge on the topic. I have a feeling that this term might be quite outdated, but I can't be sure. I would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea. Rather than (or in addition to) being outdated, it may be a term used only regionally.

Bob

EDIT: welcome to the forum.

greyhound

deluxestogie, I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case, this term seems to be quite obscure.

RyanM22

Someone suggested to me that it might not be connected to sweating as in fermentation, but that it simply means removing moisture. Do I understand correctly that a kiln is a device used to dry the tobacco leaves?

I found another, somewhat better definition:
a device for removing moisture from tobacco leaves, figs, raisins, etc.

So its possible that the use of the word 'sweat' in the other definition is a coincidence, or might be a mistake, especially if its an outdated term. Can it be possible for tobacco to undergo the drying process as well as fermentation in the same sort of device?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Generally, the expression, "allowing tobacco to go into a sweat," is a practice of allowing either baled or hanging tobacco to experience the natural warmth and increased humidity that occurs with the onset of warmer months. This allows natural fermentation to occur, which includes the internal generation of heat by the enzymatic processes, as well as darkening of the leaf color and aroma. This is essentially the (artificial) purpose of a tobacco kiln, in which supplemental heat and humidity are used to force-age the leaf (e.g. a sealed and insulated container of tobacco maintained at ~125ºF and ~75%+ RH for 1 month). This is the opposite of a wood kiln or clay kiln, whose purpose is to desiccate the enclosed objects.

The half millennium history of tobacco production throughout the entire world, including numerous, divers growing regions of the US, has unfortunately given rise to a morass of colloquial and sometimes conflicting tobacco terminology. We all struggle with it.

I would suggest leaving "tobacco sweat box" in the dust.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
A buddy of mine used to help a tobacco farmer strip and pack tobacco in his youth. He said they would strip it and pack it as tight as can be in wooden boxes. The boxes were left in the barn to sweat. So I guess they were using a "sweat box"

MarcL

tobacco_press.jpg

greyhound

So far everything seems to be fitting the definition.

Someone suggested to me that there is a method of fermentation using a kiln:

"This is what the smaller grower must use if he or she wants to smoke the fruits of their harvest any time soon. The kiln is a small, insulated container with an artificial heat source that helps to simulate the fermentation. The leaves are placed in the kiln with the lid shut. Heat and humidity are carefully controlled (temp 100 to 130 degrees and 65 to 70% humidity), and the kiln is left on 24 hours a day. Kiln fermenting lasts about 4 to 6 weeks and the relative humidity must be carefully maintained during this time. A short aging period will follow of 4 to 6 weeks or longer until the leaves can either be rolled into cigars or cut for cigarette, pipe, or chewing tobacco. "

The same person thought that this: http://www.seedman.com/wkiln.htm might be what I am looking for.

There seems to be a discrepancy in dictionaries. Here are three definitions for a sweatbox, taken from three different dictionaries:
1. a device for sweating something (as hides in tanning or dried figs)
2. a device for causing tobacco leaves, fruit, or hides to sweat
3. a device for removing moisture from tobacco leaves, figs, raisins, etc.

So twice we have sweating mentioned, and twice tobacco. The second one seems to be about fermentation, the third one about drying, and the first doesn't mention tobacco, so I can't be sure.
There is also a definition of the verb 'to sweat':

: to cause to exude or lose moisture; especially : to subject (as tobacco leaves) to fermentation

I think that I need to find out what does it mean to sweat hides or dried figs. I have no idea whether fermentation might be a part of tanning and it doesn't seem to make sense ferment dried fruit. Maybe that would lead us in the right direction.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
No need to go through the elaborate seedman version of a kiln. Search this site (probably in the sticky). All you need is a box (old small fridge works well) and a crockpot (with thermostat). Or use my method of putting your tobacco into mason jars (or any size container), place in a box with a heat source such as a light bulb. Tie the heat source in to a thermostat and you are all set. The sealed containers will maintain your tobacco at the correct moisture level and the thermostat will maintain your heat at the proper temp.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/35-Fermenting

and

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/695-FAQ-for-Beginning-Growers

Tutu

I've seen a sweat room that was meant to re moisten tobacco. Tobacco that was too dry for fermentation going into a room for over a month, a room with high temperature and moisture to regain the flexibility of the leaf for it to be better fit to go into fermentation. The sweat room in this case was not meant for fermentation itself, and definitely not to make tobacco more dry. Rather than removing moisture it adds moisture. Hence the term, sweat room. If you sweat, you become wet. So does the tobacco. This is still being used, not outdated

BigBonner

Founding Member
I know Redman has a sweat room . Huge building that they place their bales in . Temperature stays 130F to 160F , Humidity is high . Tobacco is piled in bales for 15 days then re piled for another 15 days . Center bales come out and outside bales go inside the pile . Bales are high in moisture when they are put in the building . I would guess at 28% to 32% moisture .
I can guess feel from 18% to 24% and the bales they place in the barns are higher than 24%

greyhound

No need to go through the elaborate seedman version of a kiln. Search this site (probably in the sticky). All you need is a box (old small fridge works well) and a crockpot (with thermostat). Or use my method of putting your tobacco into mason jars (or any size container), place in a box with a heat source such as a light bulb. Tie the heat source in to a thermostat and you are all set. The sealed containers will maintain your tobacco at the correct moisture level and the thermostat will maintain your heat at the proper temp.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/35-Fermenting

and

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/...inning-Growers

Thank you Jitterbugdude but I am not interested in practice, I'm here only for the theory :)

I've seen a sweat room that was meant to re moisten tobacco. Tobacco that was too dry for fermentation going into a room for over a month, a room with high temperature and moisture to regain the flexibility of the leaf for it to be better fit to go into fermentation. The sweat room in this case was not meant for fermentation itself, and definitely not to make tobacco more dry. Rather than removing moisture it adds moisture. Hence the term, sweat room. If you sweat, you become wet. So does the tobacco. This is still being used, not outdated

The dictionary definition of a sweatbox mentioned tanning hides, so I checked with a tanner what does it mean to sweat hides and it actually doesn't involve drying. It causes the hides to exude the excess moisture (hence it looks like it's sweating), but in the end it leaves them moisturized. That seems to fit your description.

I know Redman has a sweat room . Huge building that they place their bales in . Temperature stays 130F to 160F , Humidity is high . Tobacco is piled in bales for 15 days then re piled for another 15 days . Center bales come out and outside bales go inside the pile . Bales are high in moisture when they are put in the building . I would guess at 28% to 32% moisture .
I can guess feel from 18% to 24% and the bales they place in the barns are higher than 24%

Is Redman a tobacco company? I'm sorry, I know absolutely nothing about tobacco, please forgive me if I ask silly questions. What happens in this sweat room you mentioned? Is is fermentation?

burge

Sweating tobacco is heating moistened tobacco to a certain temp. I had Dons lemon went fishing left my baccy in the car on a super hot day The baccy got hot and in essence that was sweating tobacco. When repeated temperature swings brings out the flavor and sugar. I managed to recreate three castles by doing that nd it was super tasty.

burge

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what a sweatbox is. Here's what a dictionary says about it: "a device for causing tobacco leaves, fruit, or hides to sweat". I understand that sweating tobacco leaves is another word for fermentation, but this is the extent of my knowledge on the topic. I have a feeling that this term might be quite outdated, but I can't be sure. I would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

How to sweat tobacco is a different thing all together. Simply shred your tobacco get it super moist seal the tobacco and allow the heat to bring out the juices in the tobacco. Ie in a post when I first got the lemon kept is super moist in the car on a super hot day 10am to 8pm allowed it to cool and on the next day did the same thing. That is sweating tobacco. Three Castles was prepared like this and I posted I got the three castles taste from the lemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.