Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Searching for new seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

Hello,
I have read somewhere that the FTT seed bank seems to be closed, that's sad... :(
If that is the case, does anyone knows where I could find seeds from the following strains :
- Colombian Garcia
- Corojo
- Coroja
- Havana 322
- Machu Picchu Havana

I have tried to find those on many commercial sites (beginning with northwoodseeds.com) without success...

I have to confess that I am searching for all those varieties because of Bob (Deluxestogie) !
It's all his fault ! :D After reading his grow logs.... I could not do anything but searching for it :D
To be more serious, I would like to thank Bob for his very informative and interesting logs !
I went through all of his grow logs and I learned so many thing that I feel more "ready" for my second year !

Thanks everyone,
Charles.

bonehead

i get my seeds from northwood seeds . com i don't know if they have the ones you are looking for but they have many varietys. they ship all over.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I think everyone that has something Paul at northwoodseeds doesn't have they should mail it to him. The banks don't work over the long haul. Paul has a healthy business that is going to be around for the foreseeable future that puts specific genetics in your hands anywhere at any time.

I'm going to send mine to him, if everyone else checked his list and sent him what he doesn't have the community would be richer as a whole.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
SmokesAhoy:I have also sent him some of my seed, but remember to ask him if he want the seed before you send them, some times he already have it. It's not that funny if he gets the same variants from alot of members.. We must also trying to make it so easy for him as possible..

rainmax

Founding Member
Hello,
following strains :
- Colombian Garcia
- Corojo
- Machu Picchu Havana

Charles you can get those seeds from me...
I'm traveling to Cuba in tuesday. We can do it now or when I come back...end of February...

Charly

Hello everyone,

I heartily agree with all of you, it could be great if someone (like Skychaser) could become the new FTT Seed Bank, so the members could order all the strains mentionned on the forum easily (Skychaser sales seeds at a really good price).
If I had rare strains, I would send some to him too.

@Rainmax :
Thank you very much, I'll send you an MP :)
You are travelling to Cuba ! You are a lucky one ! I wish I can go there one day...

rainmax

Founding Member
....OUPS,.. I also have Coroja from Knucklehead. I haven't grow it yet. Maybe you can provide me with fresh seeds..
From Havana I have 38, 142, 211, 425, 503b, 2000, K1, but not 322

Charly

Interesting document about havana strains !

@Rainmax :
I would be happy to send you seeds, thanks to some members I have a few varieties to share :)
MP follows (I was too busy yesturday to make it...)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Charly I know, and those pages often show more than seller of tobacco seed known about different variants. But you shall also known that it's old and to day you can find better variants, but those ain't half as interesting if you ask me..

Charly

Hello Hasse SWE,

Excuse me, I did not understand exactly what you meant in your message :)
Were you talking about the havana strains ?
Did you mean the strains I am searching for are less interesting than other variants ?
Or did you mean the old havana strains (38 and co) are less interesting than new variants ?
Or were you talking about the selection of seeds one can find on the commercial sites ?

Sorry for my lack of comprehension, could you try to explain ? :)
Charles.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Charly I shall try to explain:Old time variants can be trusted in a other way than NEWER variants. They are all some sort of Hybrid, Havana#322 is a (cross between Havana#142 and Havana#38) created 1962(I think), so it's not so very new ether, I have seen the registration some were but can't find it.. -But back to the thing: Big grower don't take care of the seed because they can't be shore that the seed next season gives the same plant..I will grow some new(er) variants this season and yes they are ingesting to grow, but to read about old stuff it's much more interesting they have a big part of the key to the new variants

Charly

I understand better what you mean :)
Of course, new hybrids strains are not as "strustable" as heirloom strains, I agree with you, and of course the old varieties are the key (as they have the properties searched after in the crossings).

But recent hybrids can be very interesting too :)
As long as they can keep their caracteristics of course...

I thought that strains like havana 142 and other numbers were stable (that they give seeds equivalent to the mother plant year after year), am I wrong ?
Do you think that they are not stable ?
I thought the non-stable varieties were the "F1 hybrids" (from which there is no use saving seeds, as the new seeds are not like the mother plant...)

I think that only big farmers use "F1 hybrids" because Big Tobacco ask them to use such seeds.
But northwoodseeds would inform customers when he sells such strains, and I did not see any information about not stable hybrids on his site.
I might be wrong :)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
They are stabile in that point (small changes, that you ain't going to see might happen). But to explain LC-variants better: Seed with LC-Gen is separated in laboratory's and can only be found in a few seeds. So if you growing a LC-variant you perhaps should tell that the original seed was LC.

Charly

What is "LC-Gen" ? is it like "F1 hybrid" ? or is it genetic modified strain ?

Charly

Thank you very much !

I want to thank the kind people (Maks and the "anonymous sponsor") who proposed to send me the seeds I was searching for :D:D!

I am eager to grow them this year !

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
What is "LC-Gen" ? is it like "F1 hybrid" ? or is it genetic modified strain ?

"LC" is the abbreviation for "Low Converter". It is a seed that doesn't convert nicotine, nornicotine etc into Tobacco Specific NitroseAmines (TSNAs). These are considered a source of cancer. As far as I know all of the big American tobacco companies only buy LC leaf from tobacco farmers. LC seed is not a hybrid.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
According to Jessica @usda a few years ago they haven't been able to get the lc trait to breed true, so progeny go back to being convertors.

The tobacco seed industry is almost unique though in their history of almost always releasing stable crosses with the minority being f1 hybrids.

Everyone else seems to want to sell seed every year and run hybrid vigor.

Charly

Thank you Jitterbugdude,

So "LC tobacco" is thought to be less dangerous for our health ?
How do you know if you have "LC" or "not LC" seeds ? I did not find any mention about this "LC" characteristic on any commercial site...
Does that mean that we only have access to "Not LC" varieties ?

I will try to find more information on this subject :)

Status
Not open for further replies.