Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Snuff recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Chew

"Re: Snuff recipes
Ok first test 6 tobacco leaves,one cup water, one tablespoon of sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon double acting baking powder(great value wally-world brand), 1/2 teaspoon natural hickory liquid smoke. boil everything but the tobacco flour 2 min. then turn down to low and add sived tobacco flour stir constantly 5 min. remove and with a table spoon press out water through a fine screen ( dont drink the tea !!!!!!! IT'S TOO STRONG) .Pack tobacco in to an old copenhagen can and wait a week ( I think ) I'll let you know. I tryed a small clump of the tobacco and WOW what a buzzzzzz ! about 5 x the first time i tryed cope so I'll wait the week or maybe two days"

WHAT IS TOBACCO FLOUR?
Is that your ground up baccy into a fine powder?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
G-Chew;48255WHAT IS TOBACCO FLOUR? Is that your ground up baccy into a fine powder?[/QUOTE said:
Yes. Sometimes it is finely ground ribs too. I have sent Workhorse and chicken samples of what I make (cause I'm too cheap to throw ribs away). I owe Rayshields some and could send you some if you'd like it. Right now production is stopped because of high humidity but I'll start again as soon as things dry out.

G-Chew

Ok I'm confused. Help me out boys...I'm finding that acidic (low pH) is less liked by mold...so that's why the baking soda (bicarbonate) is needed ...to lower the pH and make it more acidic so as to prevent mold...or decease its likelyhood of growth...is this right or have I got it screwed up?

DonH

I think bicarbonate of soda would increase the pH. But I'm no chemist. I'm pretty sure it's added to increase the pH to make the nicotine absorb in the mouth better. We do have some chemists here who can chime in.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
DonH is correct.

Sodium bicarbonate is mildly alkaline (near neutral pH). It reacts with both acids and bases, and in that role acts as a pH buffer. (In Alka-seltzer, it acts as an "antacid." Likewise it can be used for excess alkalinity. I guess you would call that "anti-bitter.") It can be used to neutralize either acids or bases. Used in tobacco products, it makes the pH slightly alkaline. Using excess does not make the product even more alkaline. It just buffers it to a slightly alkaline pH.

Bob

G-Chew

So it acts as an anti-acid...making a neutral pH which is why it fights against mold then... Gotcha!! Thanks!!

workhorse_01

You better put the sodium bicarbonate in the oven @ 200*f for 1.5 hrs or it will be gritty like you have sand in your mouth. The sodium carbonate is the preservative in my recipe just like Copenhagen.

Last edited:

G-Chew

So your sayn mix in the sodium bicarbonate but to be sure after its all mixed with the baccy to place the processed baccy in the oven at 200 for 1,5 to make it react and break down?

workhorse_01

NO, Before you mix it in just the sodium bicarbonate in the oven at 200*F for 1.5 hrs. This will change it to sodium carbonate. (No Grity feeling) and If you check USST website/ ingredients, you'll see sodium carbonate, not bi carb.http://www.ussmokeless.com/en/cms/P...and/Copenhagen/Copenhagen_Snuff_Fine_Cut.aspx
So your sayn mix in the sodium bicarbonate but to be sure after its all mixed with the baccy to place the processed baccy in the oven at 200 for 1,5 to make it react and break down?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
soon i'll be making some snuff for my cousin,

JOHNLEE sent me a good '' snuff' starting box to go with what i got,

G-Chew

Chicken, what does this look like? "JOHNLEE sent me a good '' snuff' starting box ..."

Would I need to contact Johnlee?

Status
Not open for further replies.