Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Snuff recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komoto

Anyone have any recipes for dipping snuff?copenhagen type,wintergreen,and sources for chems used in manufacture of snuff?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
To chime in I know a lot of people use flavored liquors, not sure what the big boys use.

Juxtaposer

I suppose I could give you a little help. You can view the ingredients here http://www.ussmokeless.com/en/cms/P...Ingredients/Ingredients_by_Brand/default.aspx
Sodium carbonate is washing soda, Arm and Hammer should be easy enough to find. The ammonium carbonate is something you could skip if you had to. I would like to get some myself and have seen it available on line. For a recipe you will basically follow a snus making recipe with a sweetener added. Higher temperatures can be used if you are not concerned about TSNA's. I've seen cook temps and times like 350 f for three hours. Fire cured tobacco will get you closer to a cope flavor. Look at E-Bay and Amazon for ingredient too, like wintergreen if that's what you want. You can keep it simple and just heat up your water in a pot, put the salts and sugars in, cook the tobacco on low in that for a while, then add your glycerin and flavors. Bam...done! Well, you are supposed to let it rest for a week. Specific proportions of ingredient can be somewhat variable per preference. Half cup flour, tablespoon sweetener, half teaspoon Soda, half teaspoon salt would be good starting amounts. The water cooks off so maybe start with a cup then add more as needed while stirring. Have fun experimenting and good luck.

Last edited:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would keep it simple! Just put some tobacco in a pot with enough water to moisten, add sweetener ( I use Sucralose a non caloric sweetener) and some flavoring. I like to add caramel and cocoa. I don't like salt added. I also don't add any carbonates. I believe carbonate is added to shift the mix to a basic pH which would increase nicotine absorption through the mouth lining. I get plenty of nicotine absorption without it.

Randy B

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Do you simmer it after or boil water first then add tobacco and turn off heat? I'm afraid of making black40 by mistake so always turn heat off.not sure if I should keep it simmering though.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I do it both ways. I usually just heat everything up until it just boils. Sometimes when I've added too much liquid I let it boil until it reaches the right consistency. Sometimes I let it boil for 5 minutes but that's about it. I have noticed though that the stuff I take off the stove just as it boils will mold within a week whereas the stuff that get boiled for 5 minutes will not mold. The problem with boiling it for 5 minutes is a lot of the fine aromatics from the cocoa (I use raw cocoa powder) are driven off.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Do you have hard water? I wonder if you are boiling it in an alkaline solution and that is why you don't need to add soda.

I will try adding all ingredients next time cold and then raising temp to boil before starting 5 min timer.

Juxtaposer

I think the soda and salt help with the flavor as well as preservation.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Wow, too much soda. I think I lost a layer of skin. Ouch. About a teaspoon. I added some black coffee to neutralize it some. But ouch lol.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I suppose I could give you a little help. You can view the ingredients here http://www.ussmokeless.com/en/cms/P...Ingredients/Ingredients_by_Brand/default.aspx
Sodium carbonate is washing soda, Arm and Hammer should be easy enough to find. The ammonium carbonate is something you could skip if you had to. I would like to get some myself and have seen it available on line. For a recipe you will basically follow a snus making recipe with a sweetener added. Higher temperatures can be used if you are not concerned about TSNA's. I've seen cook temps and times like 350 f for three hours. Fire cured tobacco will get you closer to a cope flavor. Look at E-Bay and Amazon for ingredient too, like wintergreen if that's what you want. You can keep it simple and just heat up your water in a pot, put the salts and sugars in, cook the tobacco on low in that for a while, then add your glycerin and flavors. Bam...done! Well, you are supposed to let it rest for a week. Specific proportions of ingredient can be somewhat variable per preference. Half cup flour, tablespoon sweetener, half teaspoon Soda, half teaspoon salt would be good starting amounts. The water cooks off so maybe start with a cup then add more as needed while stirring. Have fun experimenting and good luck.

I am not nessasarily recommending this as an addititive to something you are going to be consuming, but ammonium carbonate is the main ingredient in smelling salts usually. Not sure if that helps or not- personally, I would not want an ammonia based product in something I am going to shove in my mouth. Before using anything I would be sure to check the ingredients and make sure there isn't something screwy in there, as well as make sure the ingredient I want is actually what they use rather than something similar.

Juxtaposer

I don't see it as likely that any commercial dip is without ammonium carbonate as an ingredient. Ammonia is also a byproduct of tobacco fermentation so if you are using tobacco I can't see how you will be avoiding ammonia.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The 5 min boil I did turned it all to mush like canned spinach

workhorse_01

Blanching slows or stops the action of enzymes. Up until harvest time, enzymes cause plants or vegetables to grow and mature. If vegetables are not blanched, or blanching is not long enough, the enzymes continue to be active and will finish the job and cause rot. you only need to drop a plant in to boiling water and leave it there up to 4 min. then transfer the pot to ice water to shock it to stop it from cooking. I think all were cooking it for to begin with is to kill the natural enzymes.Or am i off base ?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Cooking kills the enzymes and any mold spores that are on the leaf. Raising the temp also allows more of the sauce to soak in.

Juxtaposer

Also it is worth mentioning that cooking is not absolutely necessary. You can mix up an uncooked batch to set aside for fermentation. The salts included usually prevent mold from developing and also direct fermentation away from putrefaction.

Whalen

You know that in all the batches of snuff I have made, and there have been over 20, I have never had any problems, and I still think that the high PH and salt levels are the key. The best snuffs, from a flavor standpoint, have had large amounts of brandy or whiskey added, and I am quite found of honey although as much as it adds to the flavor and scent, it can make the grind tricky.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
A slight change of gear -- Can the enzyme action be stopped by hard radiation? I know bacterial action that causes spoilage can be.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.