Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

China Voodoo 2017 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

We actually had the best summer on my personal anecdotal gardening record. I think my tobacco matured faster last year because the Piloto is unusually slow growing, and because the Delhi got started over a month late. Also, my fertilization rate was probably higher. I'm gong to get my soil tested now that the season is over.

I didn't have any extended poor weather, like you did. Fall hit a couple weeks early, that's all. But first frost is a thing here every gardener has to watch unless they only grow brassicas. Previous two years, I was able to endure multiple frosts based on temperatures staying above minus 2, the freezing point of tobacco. This year it went straight to minus six. I still have cabbage and sui choi growing away.
I am fairly certain I will end up with next to zero green cured leaf. The crop is fairly mature.

Well, that's some good news :)
The weather in France was not very good this year, we had some late freeze in April (or May ?) and a lot of fruit trees were frozen => no fruit ... :( This is the second year in a row that we have no cherry at all on the trees of our garden (and we are not alone).
Even the walnut tree froze... then we had too much sun, and then the summer ended mid July... strange year...
I remember last year, I was able to put my leaves in the sun of september to help curing, but not this year :(
But I am glad the weather on our side was better :)

ChinaVoodoo

I'm so tired of Auber instruments. I went away for the weekend and come back, and it says the curing shed is at 50% rh. It didn't feel that dry in there so I repositioned the sensor and waited. It came up to 55%, so I panicked and added another humidifier. I come back and it says 55%, so I put a hygrometer in there, leave for two hours. It read 100%. No wonder there was (easily removed) mold on a couple leaves.

I know they have decent service, but I don't care anymore if they'll send me new parts because I can't trust them for when it matters. Their product is garbage. I guess I'll have to pull the humidity controller out of the kiln and put it in the curing shed when I get home from work.

ChinaVoodoo

The lamina of 90% of my remaining crop has dried at 90F, and 80% rh. There's a little bit of fuzz forming in the very tips of the stems so I'm dropping the humidity to 70% for now.
IMG_20171017_110146258~2.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
New pencil erasers don't really contain water. The surface of natural or synthetic rubber (or vinyl, etc.) oxidizes with time. With some erasers, high humidity may temporarily restore their function. A better bet is to remove the outer layer of the eraser (with sandpaper or a little pencil sharpener). Better yet, go buy a new pencil.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

New pencil erasers don't really contain water. The surface of natural or synthetic rubber (or vinyl, etc.) oxidizes with time. With some erasers, high humidity may temporarily restore their function. A better bet is to remove the outer layer of the eraser (with sandpaper or a little pencil sharpener). Better yet, go buy a new pencil.

Bob

Maybe I can use all the old pencils as row markers.

Charly

The color of your leaves on the last picture is very nice ! Well done !

Status
Not open for further replies.