Dark air
Timor-Leste Viqueque - x6
Timor-Leste Liquica - x6
Timor-Leste Ainaro - x6

Flue cured
Delhi 34 - x6

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Very interesting grow-list you have for this year!It will be interesting to follow you.Are you planning to make cigar of the Dark variant's?

ChinaVoodoo

Very interesting grow-list you have for this year!It will be interesting to follow you.Are you planning to make cigar of the Dark variant's?

I told myself this year was going to be a cigar year. Things devolved a bit when I acquired the Indonesian and ARS-GRIN seed. I smoke pipe and cigar. I don't know if we're certain yet what the Timor-Leste tobaccos are going to be like, but I'm sure I'll find a use. Hopefully it'll be good for either. I'll be happy either way.

The L'Assomption is from ARS-GRIN. It's a cigar tobacco developed in Quebec. I'm assuming it will grow decently here. The Delhi 34 is flue cured. I'm not sure what to expect. Also, I wanted to know how a Canadian flue cured would grow in my climate. I also feel it's important to maintain these seed line because they're Canadian. I initially planned on saving it until next year, but when I saw how few seeds arrived in the mail yesterday, I thought it best to grow it this year to increase the number of seed.

Charly

Very focused list, and you managed to keep a short list :)
A wonder, what is the Piloto seed ? is it "Piloto Cubano" ? is it the kind of seed used a lot in Dominican Republic ?

Charles.

ChinaVoodoo

Very focused list, and you managed to keep a short list :)
A wonder, what is the Piloto seed ? is it "Piloto Cubano" ? is it the kind of seed used a lot in Dominican Republic ?

Charles.

The person who gave it to me simply said Piloto. I think it's one and the same, and he simply dropped the Cubano part.

Hasse, where did you get the info on the Hicks / Virginia 21?
Edit, Hasse, I see, it's in the ARS-GRIN description.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes ChinaVoodoo, I vas found that in ARS-GRIN's description when I was trying to find information about Virginia 21. So I can't tell any thing more about Delhi#34 than they have one there page..

Tutu

A very nice list China. It does like like a cigar year indeed. Hope you'll get some nice Besuki wrappers. I've seen a few Amersfoort plants by now but I am looking forward to see someone grow them who has proper knowledge of growing tobacco. Testimony to the number of dark air curing barns still around the museum area where the seeds are obtained from, they must be cigar material too. As for the Timor Leste, Liquiçá must in the end be your best shot of getting wrappers. Then of course the Piloto should be a good aroma maker for sure!

greenmonster714

Another thread to add to my sub list. I love a good cigar too but mainly stick to the pipe. Even when I do smoke a stogie it ends up in my pipe for the last few inches anyway. The wife can't stand the after smell cigars left in my beard so in order to keep the homefront happy I stick with the pipe.
I am looking forward to watching this thread grow. Depending on which grow the best for you I may have to throw a few beans out next year so I can roll an cigar on occasion. Best of luck to ya ChinaVoodoo.
I gotta ask....where did you come up with that username?

ChinaVoodoo

Another thread to add to my sub list. I love a good cigar too but mainly stick to the pipe. Even when I do smoke a stogie it ends up in my pipe for the last few inches anyway. The wife can't stand the after smell cigars left in my beard so in order to keep the homefront happy I stick with the pipe.
I am looking forward to watching this thread grow. Depending on which grow the best for you I may have to throw a few beans out next year so I can roll an cigar on occasion. Best of luck to ya ChinaVoodoo.
I gotta ask....where did you come up with that username?

I'm looking forward to the grow blog myself, but I need to wait a bit longer to plant. I do plan on getting seeds started earlier than last year though. Instead of 6 cell packs, I'm going to go with 4 packs. A couple years ago I started way too early and ended up having to transplant into 1 gallon pots. I don't have a greenhouse any more. I think I want something in between for root space.

The name: I used to be an acupuncturist.

I started using ChinaVoodoo back then in online games, and it kind of stuck and made it all the way to FTT because I found if you tried different usernames, you ended up forgetting half of them. I sort of wish I could change it. I didn't realize it would end up that way, but a year or so ago I had to deal with a little bigotry on a certain forum because one guy assumed I was actually Chinese and made some offensive comments about my diet. Really just revealed who he was.

greenmonster714

I'm looking forward to the grow blog myself, but I need to wait a bit longer to plant. I do plan on getting seeds started earlier than last year though. Instead of 6 cell packs, I'm going to go with 4 packs. A couple years ago I started way too early and ended up having to transplant into 1 gallon pots. I don't have a greenhouse any more. I think I want something in between for root space.

The name: I used to be an acupuncturist.

I started using ChinaVoodoo back then in online games, and it kind of stuck and made it all the way to FTT because I found if you tried different usernames, you ended up forgetting half of them. I sort of wish I could change it. I didn't realize it would end up that way, but a year or so ago I had to deal with a little bigotry on a certain forum because one guy assumed I was actually Chinese and made some offensive comments about my diet. Really just revealed who he was.

About the 4 and 6 cells. Are you referring to the inserts that go into a 1020 tray so you have 32 per tray versus 48?

Acupuncturist...I go to the VA medical center and have that done on my neck and shoulder area. Trying to avoid surgery as long as I can. Between that and the steroid injections it seems to be under control and pain free. The Dr who does the acupuncture is getting those cups they use lately. Not really sure how they work but he said they were a new thing. He used the summer olympic games as an example. Remember those swimmers that looked as if a giant ocotopus got ahold of them? Well, they were using the procedure. I just hope my junk don't shrivel up from the roids....lol. Just kiddin but hey size matters is what she said.

I had to chuckle when you mentioned the Chinese thing...lol. Folks can be just soooo wrong sometimes when they assume. Most folks think I am from the Boston area when they see my name. They assume it is the the big greenmonster wall at the Sox stadium. Couldn't be farther from the truth. I've stayed with a username for a long time now. I am an avid gamer on the xboxone system and use the same username just about everywhere I join a forum. I can see myself someday sitting in a nursing home crapping in my diaper while I play Gears of War 25. Maybe that will not be so bad. I won't have to get up to go take a dump and miss a match...lol. Thanks for sharing that info. It made me laugh and I needed that today.

ChinaVoodoo

Greenmonster, last year I used 1020 trays, and the cells I used were such that they fit 6 packs of 6 cells, so 36 total. Maybe I'm naive about the availability of different sizes, but I was hoping I could move up to 24 cells per tray.

I think cupping is only new to him. You've got doctors and physiotherapists who use acupuncture needles. That's great. They take the part of the traditional medicine that works, and and keep it simple. Then you've got folks with exclusive training in traditional Chinese medicine who are actually called acupuncturists. That was me. I rarely do it any more. I'm glad to hear it's helping. (If you've got a strong stomach, look up "bleeding cupping")

greenmonster714

Well, you said strong stomach so ya know that only leads to curiosity. Kinda like when ya ask someone if they ever saw Two Girls and a Cup. Holy Bloodsucker Batman. I did not read into it. I only did a google image search and well that's about as far as I wanna go with that. Can honestly say it looks amazing and kinda midevil. Once again I learn something here at FTT...lol

Leftynick

I started using ChinaVoodoo back then in online games, and it kind of stuck and made it all the way to FTT because I found if you tried different usernames, you ended up forgetting half of them.

Same like me. I have used the same name since I started on the social media. Haven't changed it since then. My friends wouldn't even recognize my real name.

greenmonster714

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good price on the 1020 cell inserts. Just keep in mind that shipping will be in the vicinity of $10 for 1 or dozens of inserts. I would purchase enough for several years, if you do buy them.

Bob

greenmonster714

Your dead on Bob, I did an order that came up to about $11 and once I entered my zip code it calculated out to $31. Really? How does someone justify that much for some practically weightless plastic trays? I'll have to check that out before I post a suggestion for someone.

ChinaVoodoo

That's a good price on the 1020 cell inserts. Just keep in mind that shipping will be in the vicinity of $10 for 1 or dozens of inserts. I would purchase enough for several years, if you do buy them.

Bob

I'll try buy local. I'm guessing there's Canadian mail order places if I needed; however, there's at least two independent shops to check first.

I've put some thought into it, and for symmetry sake, with the grow lights, I'm going to look for the 18s. They offer twice the soil volume of what I had before. My plants were not as big as I wanted last year, but I think the 36s were at their limit. And I got off to a bad start. In 2015, I started with 55cell (x4) peat pellets in February, and couldn't plant until late May because of a trip to India, so before going away, I transferred them to 1 gallon pots and put them in a greenhouse. This caused early suckering and flowering (while still potted) in a portion of the crop, aside from being a lot of extra work. I would really like this year to be in-between the previous two.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your dead on Bob, I did an order that came up to about $11 and once I entered my zip code it calculated out to $31. Really? How does someone justify that much for some practically weightless plastic trays? I'll have to check that out before I post a suggestion for someone.

I usually buy trays and inserts from Growerssupply.com, in Iowa: http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;gs_pots_trays_containers.html The cost per tray is higher, but the shipping seems to be lower.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.