Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New To Whole Leaf - Love Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonneville

Am new and looking forward to getting some poundage for cigs but also hope to to try my hand at cigars as well.
Came across a few posts somewhere else about a guy who was making his own pipe flake tobacco by compressing it in tube under heavy pressure for a few weeks at a time...thought that was pretty interesting....found this forum through that.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ahhh I love me some good tobacco too, you found the right place for literally everything tobacco.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bonnevile.. Welcome.. Don't forget to put your location in your profile. It'll help people giving you advice if they know where you live.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive made a tobacco plug that you were talking about....for someone who smokes a pipe, and carries a pouch to store it in. a plug is perfect.. just cut or bite off a square and pack that pipe,

are you going to look into possiblly growing yourself some bacca ?

it trully is a good hobby. that will soothe your mind. and save money.

when i go into my bacca patch [ around 3-400 plants,,,,] i loose track of time.. and feel much more relaxed when i come out, theres so many things i look at... the colour of the leaf. the condition of the leaf.... the damage that the bugs have done... did i see any worms. do i need to re-spray soon,,,e.t.c.

you'll know within the first grow....but id give it 3 grows to see if you enjoy it,, the first 2 grows is a learning curve,,, by grow 3 you'll know what you did wrong and by making corrections you'll be a master grower by #3

my first attempt i didnt even get germination... i didnt do my research... i thought it would sprout like any other seed, boy was i wrong,

DO YOUR RESEARCH,,,,and good luck.

bonneville

Thanks for the great welcome folks....@chicken...i'd love to have a climate like yours...i'd be growing tobacco like crazy....unfortunately i live on the island of Newfoundland which has 10 months of hard core winter followed by two months of poor sledding.

That said I heard about a guy in Sweden (i think on the island of Goteburg or some such) that has been very successful growing tobacco...apparently he now produces a commercial cigar known as the 'Lector" (or something like that).
I may try my hand at growing 30 or so 5 gallon pots this year and see how that goes...our summers are awful...cold and wet so I don't think that is very helpful.

cheers, bonneville

Rectifier

If we can grow here in frozen SK you can do it in NL. I think?
I looked up some info on your climate. You get ~2000CHU and we get ~2200CHU, so I think you should be able to do it as far as heat units are concerned. Usually that's the most important factor as long as your frost free period is long enough. Why not give it a shot, right?

Welcome and good luck, this is a great place for tobacco lovers that's for sure.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A general average time from transplant to maturity (50% of plants with an open blossom) is between 55 and 65 days. That makes it a fairly close shave for harvesting leaf. You likely can not produce seed during your very short season. The maturation time may be shortened somewhat, if you start seed indoor more than 8 weeks before last frost. If the seedling containers are large (say 3" plastic pots), then the plants will add some useful growth prior to transplanting outdoors.

A greater challenge than harvesting leaf is the provision of suitable non-freezing curing conditions that are not too dry.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.