Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Need a tip from one of u baccy pro's - storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZigZagZeppelin

I plan on stocking 7-10 pounds of tobacco and using bits from all when I want.

Should I fine mist water, pg, vg or ANYTHING at all into the large bags once in awhile?

Or just leave'm alone?

MarcL

Re: Need a tip from one of u baccy pro's

The bags as they come, just go in a tub.
The stuff in process, you will need to get a feel for. get to know the leaf
To dry and, when you over handle it, will turn to dust. To wet and warm it can mold and mildew if the conditions are right.

I use water only.
Something I'll do is bring each bag at a time to the point were the whole thing is de-stemed and stacked in a pile. most of it goes back in the bag, some of it gets the shred. you heard that..

When I'm hydrating for processing, I keep an eye on it. I use a large tub, 15 or so gallon, I'll mist the insides and the top lid mostly. some gets directly on the leaf but, I like slower better myself. After the shred, I'll let it dry before it goes in the jar. I do roll and cut coins for shred.

Depending on how much smoke you need matters. Jars are kinder to the leaf when shredded. You'll want to keep it below 75˚ or so.

ZigZagZeppelin

Thanks for the reply, MarcL.

I'll make a run to the store today to secure some large tubs.

I will need a better shredder soon but I can make due with a pair of 0.8 mm budget shredders, I know eventually I gotta get something thats faster.

greenmonster714

The bags as they come, just go in a tub.
The stuff in process, you will need to get a feel for. get to know the leaf
To dry and, when you over handle it, will turn to dust. To wet and warm it can mold and mildew if the conditions are right.

I use water only.
Something I'll do is bring each bag at a time to the point were the whole thing is de-stemed and stacked in a pile. most of it goes back in the bag, some of it gets the shred. you heard that..

When I'm hydrating for processing, I keep an eye on it. I use a large tub, 15 or so gallon, I'll mist the insides and the top lid mostly. some gets directly on the leaf but, I like slower better myself. After the shred, I'll let it dry before it goes in the jar. I do roll and cut coins for shred.

Depending on how much smoke you need matters. Jars are kinder to the leaf when shredded. You'll want to keep it below 75˚ or so.

Hey Marc, when you refer to water do you use distilled water?

MarcL

Hey Marc, when you refer to water do you use distilled water?

My understanding of using distilled water is that it has had the mineral content removed from it which is said to clog up hygrometers deeming them less accurate. Some water can have an off odor or taste. My tap water does so, I'll use distilled, purified or some other bottled water. So not always. hygrometers should be kept up to date as for as accuracy.

greenmonster714

Thanks for the info ZigZag. I see what your saying Marc. My tap water sucks. We buy bottled water all the time or go to the local spring and fill jugs. Luckily I always have d/w around to use in my CPAP machine.

Smokin Harley

i buy my storage tubs from Menards. they are clear (plastic number 5) and have a blue foam gasket in the lid, 4 plastic closures. They have kept quite a few leaves not even in bags the same moisture content for over a year in the house. No mold , still pliable. I think there are 3 maybe 4 sizes available.

Gmac

I use Brent's method with Ziplock locking storage tubs & white buckets from the local deli "free", with Gamma ray lids. Both are food quality with the 5 triangle stamped on bottom. Both will hold case for over a year. I use the plastic storage bags, like Don sells for whole leaf. They're great!Ziplock Weather tight Box.jpgGamma Ray Lids.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i let my bacca hang till im ready for it.... then i take a lot and let mother nature rehydrate it for me....

i hang it in my greenhouse and wait on a foggy morning or a good rain,, and my bacca is ready to be shredded. after it comes into case a little while.. i try to find the right firmness. before i shred it..... usually this takes place about 10 a.m. after a whole night of hanging,

and if you have '' bought bacca '' you can put the leaves in a '' onion '' bag the kind that has holes all in the nylon bag. and hang it on your porch... and let mother natures humidity soften up your leaves,

Status
Not open for further replies.