Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DIY Cigar pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve2md

Here are my first two cigars I ever rolled. I used Burly from BigBonner and a little Maryland and Bright Leaf just for kicks. I used the method from Chicken's video, and added a few differences. My adhesive is mostly just water. I add a tiny pinch of flour and a single drop of honey (the honey keeps it from loosening up in the humidor) The first cigar is straight tobacco. The second one, I cut a 3/4" strip of brightleaf and soaked it in a pecan mead that I made in 2009. I let it dry back to med case and placed it in the middle of my filler bundle. I then let them sit out until they were fairly dry and tossed them into the humidor. I'll get back to you when I am ready to smoke them.....

cigar 1.jpg

cigar 2.jpg

What do you think?
Steve

BarG

Founding Member
I think this will be a good thread and them cigars look as good or better than my first try.
Heres a pic from some very high quality wrapper leaves I recieved from FmGrowit.
Notice the curl on the end lol. I didnt even trim the end after rolling I just fired it up.
It burned realy great ,some times every thing comes together just right.
100_1866.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_in_TN

Hey, Steve looks like you've had some practice instead of it being your first rolling attempt.
BarG, that is some very good lookin wrapper leaf and a nice ash on that stogie. Looks to be at least a 45 minute smoke. What did you use for the binder and filler?

Steve2md

That one looks great bar g, nice white ash. Tom, those really are my first two cigars! the second one turned out closer to corona size, the first one is closer to a lonsdale. still waiting to see how they smoke. I went out to see a band last night (half the guys from Tesla were there! go 80's!!) after drinking myself stupid with Frank Hannon I came home and decided to try an experiment. I cut two cigarette paper sized sheets from a leaf and used a top rolling machine to make mini cigarillos, then dipped the whole things in some pecan mead. we'll see.....

Steve2md

mini cigarillos didn't work out. WAY too tight. no draw at all. so I did what anyone would do in my situation.....i chopped them up and stuffed them in my pipe!

BarG

Founding Member
mini cigarillos didn't work out. WAY too tight. no draw at all. so I did what anyone would do in my situation.....i chopped them up and stuffed them in my pipe!

Steve2md,I some times use small wrappers to roll mini cigars. Same principle as what you tried except with the diagonal single wrap by hand. does not work well rolling like cig. I never use any glue. I lick the very end of wrap and light it up. Unless i'm rolling for a friend, then I give it extra spit. ;)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
if you followed my video,,,,

im surprised you had sucess,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
mine got rolled too tight,,,,

i still got 4 left,,,maybe i should try one, it has been a while since i rolled them,,

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ive seen it recommended to roll cigars with some bamboo skewers inside to increase airflow. Take them out before smoking obviously:)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I tried the skewer trick and it works OK but I found out after I rolled a few and got the hang of it I didn't need the skewers any more. Now if I get one too tight to draw I just give it to a pipe smoking friend.
I still haven't gotten to where I can roll a decent one with chopped up filler.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Here is a pic of my setup. What you see is my rolling board, chevetta, glue pot, press and a few cigars in binder ready to be pressed. After I press them a while I'll turn them 90 deg. and re-press to remove the ridges. Then I have a little kilned CT shade that I'll use for wrapper and I hope, pretty. I made the press myself after the one I bought was the wrong size. (My fault I ordered the wrong ring size.)

IMG_1354.JPG

When they are finished I'll post a pic if I'm not too embarrassed.

John

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
Here is a pic of my setup. What you see is my rolling board, chevetta, glue pot, press and a few cigars in binder ready to be pressed. After I press then a while I'll turn them 90 deg. and re-press to remove the ridges. Then I have a little kilned CT shade that I'll use for wrapper and I hope, pretty. I made the press myself after the one I bought was the wrong size. (My fault I ordered the wrong ring size.)

View attachment 470

When they are finished I'll post a pic if I'm not too embarrassed.

John

Thats a nice setup for multi cigar rolling. I'm still rolling one at a time only when ready to smoke till I refine technique and discover favorite blend. That certainly looks like an easy to do homeade set up ,did you make that?

BarG

johnlee1933

Founding Member
BarG, Yes. I had some home sawed maple and bought a roll of soft black shelf cover stuff. It's about 1/16 " thick and grips a surface well. It smooths out my rolling and I use it to pad anyplace I am worried about scratching.

John

Tom_in_TN

Hey, keep trying to roll those mini's, I want to get some experience rolling 'em too.For the filler, did you use long leaf or sort of shredded? And, if you used long leaf, was it in low case? Always looking for a short smoke break during the work day and do not want to take 20 -30 minutes to smoke a pipe or cigar. I've had a few hand rolled mini's a few years back and they were actually pretty tasty. So I am definitely going to try my hand at it. Bought the cig blend from FmGrowit and will use that baccy for a test and post results here.

Status
Not open for further replies.