Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ultrasonic Perique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A possible way to rapidly make Perique without pressure

In an attempt to "age" brandy using ultrasound, researchers continuously flowed new brandy over a bed of oak chips that were immersed in an ultrasound bath. [Ultrasound is simply high-frequency vibrations (e.g. 40,000 cycles per second).] Ultrasound disrupts the cell structure of the oak chips, rapidly releasing the chemicals from within the wood. They were able to achieve the equivalent of two years of brandy aging in a matter of days.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/02/03/ultrasound-waves-wine-brandy/#.WKCPy_krLDc

Although the Perique process may or may not utilize pressure to exclude oxygen from the leaf, the pressure is definitely required to disrupt the cellular structure of the leaf, in order to release the contained chemicals.

If a brave soul is interested in attempting this using ultrasound, this could be tried using a small ultrasonic cleaning bath, such as the one sold by Home Depot, below.

83653905-c27b-42de-b541-9ff5c624c404_1000.jpg

About $35 at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-Ultr...Small+Appliances|_pkw__pmt__product_202498189
This item is rather small, with outside dimensions in the range of 4"x 5"x 7". But my own Perique press container is 4" in diameter.

Ultrasound vibrations are blocked by air, so the leaf would need to be thoroughly soaked and immersed in water. IF the primary process in making Perique is the release of cell enzymes and other chemicals, followed by oxidation (rather than by microbial fermentation), then it is possible that using an ultrasound bath might shorten the process from several months to several days.

I'm not planning to try this, since I am content with my present method. If you should decide to give this a try, be sure to post your results.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although 40,000 cps sounds great, there is no specification of the wattage, which would determine the actual power delivered. Typical requirements for ultrasonic cleaners is about 50-100 Watts per gallon.

This one from Northern Industrial Tools (~$275), which includes a heat controller, is listed at 120 Watts for a 1 gallon capacity: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365419_200365419

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bob, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.... The Perique process creates an abundance of the bacteria Lactobacillis. As the lactobacillis multiplies it lowers the pH (becomes more acidic). At some point the pH is low enough that the Lactobacillis die off and are replaced by yeasts. I don't see how ultrasound could be used in place of the standard pressure method.

I think your inoculation failed because it didn't go through the process of a build up of bacteria, the killing off of the bacteria and the growth of yeasts.

ChinaVoodoo

Bob, I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.... The Perique process creates an abundance of the bacteria Lactobacillis. As the lactobacillis multiplies it lowers the pH (becomes more acidic). At some point the pH is low enough that the Lactobacillis die off and are replaced by yeasts. I don't see how ultrasound could be used in place of the standard pressure method.

I think your inoculation failed because it didn't go through the process of a build up of bacteria, the killing off of the bacteria and the growth of yeasts.

The homebrew store by my house sells agitators and magnetic stirrers for propagating yeast. I don't see the microbial succession being heinously disrupted by an ultrasonic bath.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
JBD, That's a truly informative study on the microbiology of Perique fermentation. Thank you.

Pichia anomala (previously named Hansenula anomala) appears to be the key to the fermentation and ultimate aroma and pH of Perique.

As JBD observed, the initial bacterial growth (during the first few days) lowers the pH until the bacteria die, while Pichia anomala yeast then becomes the single predominant microbe. This is interesting in that this yeast contributes to the character of sake and other alcoholic beverages. Pichia anomala produces aromatic esters, and consumes lactic acid.

Unfortunately, this published study lasted only 14 days. If any member who has a pH meter also makes Perique, I would be interested in knowing the actual pH of the Perique juice after 3 months of fermentation.

Why this particular yeast predominates is apparently the result of its unique tolerance of the high osmolarity of Perique juice. Pichia anomala is also a biologic inhibitor or Aspergillus mold. Yay!

We might then ask what conditions are required for Perique fermentation. Apparently, the random microbes present at the start of fermentation just do their natural activities, until they kill themselves with success. The pressure of the Perique press releases the concentrated chemicals contained within tobacco laminar cells, dramatically raising the osmolarity of the surrounding juice. These two events appear to set the stage for Pichia anomala to flourish--lots of food for the yeast, and high osmolarity to inhibit its competitors.

How might ultrasound be used here? The pressure of a traditional Perique press is the specific cause of laminar cell disruption--required for the high osmolarity. Ultrasound might replace this step. Ultrasound may also disrupt the microbial "contaminants" on the leaf, which would bring all microbial activity to a halt. (I'm not certain of this.) Ultrasound "cleans" objects by generating explosive micro-cavitation at the water-object boundaries. This may or may not kill microbes.

Microbes reproduce at a staggering rate (as short as a doubling time of 20 minutes--i.e. billions of microbes in 7 hours), so tiny numbers can quickly colonize previously sterilized media.

Possible Ultrasound Technique
  • set aside one strip of leaf for use as an innoculant
  • zap all the remaining leaf in an ultrasonic bath, minimizing excess water in the batch
  • continue ultrasound only long enough to spill the cell contents--don't know the duration
  • add the saved innoculant leaf to the batch
  • move the batch to a container that can allow a close-fitting seal immediately against the leaf
  • squish and release the batch from time to time, to allow some oxygenation
  • duration of subsequent fermentation probably 2 weeks to 3 months--don't know
  • end when it smells right
Bob

burge

All you can do is try it. It is the pressure that breaks down the cells and is that press needed? What would happen if you created a brick and then put it in? I would add a shot of liquor.

Status
Not open for further replies.