Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I've seen mention of "Caribbean Style" cigars - what does that mean?

webmost

Update: The machines are all in the Dominican Republic right now because the FDA is staffed by ambitious puritan lunkheads. Like virtually all other manufacturing in Pennsyltucky, gar making also got driven out by preposterous regulations. The owner is trapped in the DR by draconian Wuhan regulations requiring two week quarantines coming and going. The supply chain is meanwhile fotally tucked by Wuhan related shipping snafus. First, the leaves must be shipped to the DR; then, the product must trundle back. You don't know whether to laugh or cry when you hear the lame excuses these trucking companies devise. Last shipment, for example, was delayed three weeks getting from Harrisburg 40 miles to McSherrystown because, the truck company said, they did not have a short truck. I volunteered a chain saw.

Anyhoo... On top of that, the Wuhan sitch in the DR is worse than here. They are under curfew. Factories are closing. Production is down some huge percent. Be glad that you roll your own.

God bless Don. He's my candy man.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that the "Marsh Wheeling" name has been resurrected for a suspiciously different product. Flavored Marsh Wheeling cigars? Dominican tobacco?

Bob

webmost

I noticed that the "Marsh Wheeling" name has been resurrected for a suspiciously different product. Flavored Marsh Wheeling cigars? Dominican tobacco?

Bob

Topper Cigar Co. bought the marque and is having them made by machine in the DR. I'm not entirely certain what baccy goes in. Was never a big fan of lanceros, so never smoked enough MWs when they were made in Wheeling to compare with now.

BruceBear

Man, I've been away from this forum too long. I should be working but here I am trawling through old threads and wondering what it must be like to live in a country where you can just order a bunch of sampler packs or whole leaf online. Just can't do that here in South Africa...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Man, I've been away from this forum too long. I should be working but here I am trawling through old threads and wondering what it must be like to live in a country where you can just order a bunch of sampler packs or whole leaf online. Just can't do that here in South Africa...
I understand you guys have been under a strict total ban on alcohol and tobacco sales since March. Black market sales through the roof. I feel for you guys. The forced end of a habit is tough.

BruceBear

I understand you guys have been under a strict total ban on alcohol and tobacco sales since March. Black market sales through the roof. I feel for you guys. The forced end of a habit is tough.
It is very hard on cigarette smokers - my wife is one and it sucks! She needs the nicotine and is happy when she gets it but also sad due to the outrageous prices on the black market. I only smoke cigars so Im totally OK but I obviously miss the experience. What I meant with my previous comment was that I can't just order a cigar sampler pack, not this year or last year or ever - tobacco through the postal service has been illegal since forever here and the cigar market is very small. When I first got into the hobby I got really excited about the huge variety online but then quickly realised that the companies didn't ship outside the US, and the few that did charged a gazillion bucks for shipping and customs here would probably confiscate the goods or at least hold them for ransom. So Im screwed on that front. I pick up a few sticks here and there from little tobacco shops but I think the tax is 40% and then import fees etc so very pricey. Lets say you can get a decent stick in US for 6 or 7 bucks. With current exchange rate that should be 100-120 Rand but instead I am spending around 180-200 and up for the same stick if not more. So I will just have to grow my own:)

ArizonaDave

Finck's Cigars is an interesting site: http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/

It looks like they still make some machine-mades there in Texas (no CT perfectos to be had), although just about everything else is contracted from the same old Nicaraguan and Dominican cigar factories that pump out all the silly brands on the "premium" cigar market.

I wonder what all those gazillion old cigar rolling machines are doing these days. There must be (or once have been) tens of thousands of them left over from closed factories in the US. I can picture a spare bedroom with a machine buncher, a machine roller and a lot of well-filled shelves of cigars.

Bob

They were one of my favorite companies to buy from back in the day. A few years ago, they were forced to shut down their hand made rolls, and shipped their work out after that.