Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chillardbees 2017 Size Matters Grow Take Two and Action "Click"

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
19884033_10154489397341104_3293776536076499109_n.jpg19875192_10154489402716104_513394176801288269_n.jpg19756818_10154489402766104_8991563130817383922_n.jpg19748660_10154489402721104_5199234869087397992_n.jpg19748400_10154489402551104_7566675161348841705_n.jpg19756578_10154489402801104_752416147372879293_n.jpg

Soil test in a group sample from 12 areas of the garden. Acid = neutral, Nitrogen = surplus, Phosphorus = adequate/sufficient, and Potash = sufficient. All my hard work composting all that hay, alfalfa, and chicken manure payed off. good looking soil this year.

I'm just getting the very last plants planted today from starting 3 days ago. the first ones I planted already are loving stretching their roots. I'm setting up my irregation set up now too. lots of hot weather in the forecast so i don't think it'll be any problem to see these plants take off give the sunshine, nutrients, and water.

I also have selected eight trays of plants to be divided over to of my bee yards (72 plants per yard). I'll have to bring buckets of water out to them on a regular basis but thats alright becuase I feel like i'm living in the yards already. I can't remember the final count on the plants here in the garden, my guesstimate would be 170 with 125 in the main plot ant the orientals and extras in other areas along the trailer and fence line. I stayed true to my word. 30" spacing between plants an 48" spacing between rows. I can't wait to see how big they get, finally living up to my grow log title.

PS:if anyone doubts my spacing, bob himself can come down and measure it...if he wants, lol, :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
if anyone doubts my spacing, bob himself can come down and measure it...if he wants...
ChillardSpacing.jpg

In analyzing this satellite photo from the NSA, the plants are exactly 30 Canadian inches apart, and the drip hose is 3.3 Canadian inches wide.

Excellent.

Bob

chillardbee

In analyzing this satellite photo from the NSA, the plants are exactly 30 Canadian inches apart, and the drip hose is 3.3 Canadian inches wide.

Excellent.

Bob

I have a confession to make on those ones. those are my Bursa plants and they are planted 24" apart (or less). The orientals don't get big and fanny like the FC, DAC, Burleys, and marylands. the full yard pic has the spacing i'm talking about. i'll get a better pic of them and post it.

chillardbee

Well, we are in the middle of a heat spell that could have been much worse had it not been from the smoke that rolled in from all the forest fires. I have good irrigation set up but I can certainly see the growth is not what it could have been had I have had it in the ground to catch at least 3 weeks of the spring rains. My size matters grow is not working and I should of listened to my gut when I was thinking about just throwing them as close together as I could and go for numbers.
My wife is really looking forward to me planting the yard in grass so we can have lawn again, I'm going to hate to disappoint her. But next year I have a plan that just might be crazy enough to work.
Mind you, the year still has some life in it and it's hard to say what the crop will turn out like, hopefully I have enough to last at least a year but I'm doubtful. I'm probably going to have to buy some whole leaf to add to my stash just to stretch it.

chillardbee

IMG_2164.jpg
Prilep p66 9/7

IMG_2165.jpg
Izmir

IMG_2166.jpg
Bursa

IMG_2167.jpg
Secret variety. I'll be gathering seeds from them.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 5

OldDinosaurWesH

Tobacco Seedlings 8-02-17-43.jpg

Chillardbee:

I see you like to grow Turkish tobacco. I have attached a photo of two of 13 Ismir Osbas Turkish growing in my garden. They are nearly six feet tall. The leaves are kind of small, and I could have planted them on 14" centers and gotten away with it easily. These are on 16" centers, and the others I planted in a different section of the garden are on 24" centers. (A waste of space) These two are just starting to show bloom heads, which I promptly cut off. I planted these on June 1, 2017. The sizes and growth habit have been a little inconsistent on my Ismirs. I attribute a lot of this to location in the garden and available sunlight. Interestingly, these are planted on former turf that I took out to plant tobacco! Sound familiar?

Wes H.
With apologies for the low - quality photo

OldDinosaurWesH

I automatically cut the flower heads off of all my varieties. No unauthorized breeding allowed. re: Oriental varieties, I don't know much about them, I only planted thirteen (out of 270) just for fun. Certainly, they are small enough that there won't be a lot of tobacco there. Like I said...just for fun.

chillardbee

IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg
IMG_2219.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg

I always underestimate the growth spurt. I'm quite happy with the way the plants are turning out although I think they could of been better. I still have a long road ahead of me and hopefully I'll have time and weather on my side for curing. My thoughts are drifting to next years grow though.

Attachments

• IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4

OldDinosaurWesH

Will:

Is home tobacco production regulated or taxed in Canada? I know that in some parts of the world, tobacco in any form is heavily frowned upon by officialdom. Just curious.

Wes H.

chillardbee

Will:

Is home tobacco production regulated or taxed in Canada? I know that in some parts of the world, tobacco in any form is heavily frowned upon by officialdom. Just curious.

Wes H.

Laws in Canada are quite nice for the grow your own tobacco users. We are allowed to grow 15kg (36 pounds) per person over the age of 18 per household. So I grow my wife's share and could grow 30 kg but the biggest crop so far has only been 25 kg. In Canada, we are not allowed to sell processed tobacco in any which way or form, but it's less clear on whole leaf. I don't want to mess with selling anything tobacco just because I don't don't want to draw attention to myself and I'm quite content growing and smoking my own, I can not ever go back to store bought cigarettes, so if people want to enjoy the goodness of home grown tobacco, they'll just have to grow their own.

OldDinosaurWesH

Will:

I was curious. You aren't that far away from me geographically speaking. But worlds away because of that international border. If you can grow 36 #'s per person, that should be plenty to last for a year or two. 25 Kg. is a lot of tobacco. (I'm assuming this is a cured amount.) You must have a pretty big garden! I have 270 plants this year, up from 75 last year. Realistically, I will be able to harvest about 230 of them. I have about 40 that won't amount to much due to lack of sunlight. If everything goes well (so far, so good...) I should be able to produce between 40 and 55 #'s this year. (14 - 25 Kg. , cured but not stemmed). I have reliably, 'till Sept. 15th before first frost. Most years we don't get a killing frost 'till well into October. Last year was exceptional, our first killing frost wasn't 'till Nov. 17th.

You are in the Fraser river valley, inland from Vancouver. A very beautiful place. As I recall, there is significant agriculture on the flat-lands in that valley. How does your tobacco do there? I live east of the Cascades in the dry country. We only get about 20" of rain per year. You have to be able to irrigate to grow any kind of a garden around here.

Wes H.

P.S. Do you have any interesting rocks and minerals around there? I'm into rockhounding. My Avatar is a scan of two small Aquamarine crystals I found in Northern Idaho.

Tobacco Seedlings 8-18-17 105.jpg

Photo from today's pickings. Variety Costello Negro. 29", 30", and 32" leafs. Exceptional for this type, and the longest leaf I've produced this year. I have a couple of other varieties that are alleged to produce 36" leaves, but I've yet to see any.

Alpine

Interesting... here in Italy we are allowed to grow whatever amount of tobacco, but we cannot sell, present, barter, exchange or trade it in whatever way. If I want, I can grow thousands of plants, but I'm allowed only to smoke it, or sell to the state monopoly

pier

chillardbee

Well it's been awhile and what a story I have to tell.

First, my last post on here was posted 2-3 days before I started developing symptoms of giardia (AKA beaver fever) it knock me down for 4 weeks at a time when I really couldn't afford the time to be sick. by the middle of september I started feeling better but it was also a long road to recovery.

Despite the sickness, I managed to catch up on beekeeping and tobacco work. It ended up being a extremely late last harvest and some of the leaves still aren't fully cured as I write this but I'm processing them now anyway because I can't wait on the few leaves that are only partly cured, they'll get mixed in with the other baccy and make no difference. right now I'm deribbing the tobacco and I have the shredder on standby ready to shred. then a light roasting and then I'll put on my marlboro recipe casing and call it a year.

I'm rather impressed with the size the plants got this year and the leaf size was what I was hoping for. I will say it was a successful "size matters" year this year although one row kind of got stunted. I manage to bag seed from 4 maryland varieties, gold leaf oronico, and certain type of oriental. Most of the biggest leaf came from the marylands while the greatest number of leaves came from the africam red and lemon bright.

2017-09-10 13.20.21.jpg
A rather large leaf. I can't remember the variety this one is but probably a maryland.

2017-09-15 13.38.55.jpg
Maryland leaves. many of them got up to over 3' in length.

2017-10-21 16.43.29.jpg
A izmir leaf. I got a good large size leaf on all the orientals as well.

The delay in my posting also has to do with that I had access to the computer blocked of with bee equipment. hopefully I'll post more next year. Speaking of next year, I might end up renting a 50' x 50' section from a freind for next years grow, we'll have to see what i can work out for that. the wife is going to be non-negotiable about not have grass planted in our yard next year. how ever it's going to work, I think i'll do a standard spacing as per commercial farmers. something like 20 rows with 30 per row for 600 plants.

So all in all, even though it was a late year with set backs, I still managed 12kg of cured tobacco.

OldDinosaurWesH

Will:

Good to hear from you, and sorry to hear about your illness. I never drink from the mountain springs when I go out into the woods. Too many people out there with their domestic dogs contaminating an otherwise pristine area. A friend of mine got very sick from drinking contaminated mountain spring water.

It looks like you produced some high quality leaf this year. 600 plants for next year? that's a lot. I grew 240 this year, and it turned into a part-time job. I harvested approximately 8,200 leaves off of thirteen different types. My kiln has been buzzing away for a couple of months now. I'm planning for next season right now, and I'm cutting back to about 160 and about 8 types.

Good luck, and happy burning.

Wes H
Dayton Wa.

Status
Not open for further replies.