Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kilning tobacco in a car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

I want to share my experience of kilning tobacco inside my car. This is the variation of dashboard fermenting that I learned from other forum. However deluxestoogies said that the dashboard method might be too high in temperature, making it become a proses of cavendish. I agree, mainly because I tried the dashboard fermenting and ferment my traditional tobacco too long it smelled like toasted. So I tried another method

This method might not work for others here as I really depend on my tropical climate, which is hot and humid all year round. Even during raining season, it will still hot enough in a car. I used this method as it is cheap, doesn't have to built anything and my car is painted dark colour so it trap a lot of heat from the sun.

The method is simple, I just spritz some water to my tobacco making it medium case, put it in plastic and put it in my car booth rather than on my dashboard. The temperature inside my car booth can achieve 50 celsius (122f) on a very hot day. Then I open the plastic every couple of days for 5 minutes, to air them out and add water if necessary.

Granted, this method is not very scientific, and not really consistent but it gives result. I get the idea that in pilones method, the bale were open once the temperature of the bales achieved certain degree but temperature in my car never exceed that and I think several hour of not heating is not a problem and until now I have no problem with mold. It might double the time to 2 months but as my experience, 3 weeks already give me what I wanted.

Any suggestion to improve my method is encouraged. YMMV

ChinaVoodoo

I envision a solar powered fan that pumps air out of your car when it reaches 122F, preventing over heating of the tobacco, and also keeping your car tolerable.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you've figured it out, Leftynick. Just go by the smell. If it still smells raw, then continue the process.

Bob

Leftynick

I envision a solar powered fan that pumps air out of your car when it reaches 122F, preventing over heating of the tobacco, and also keeping your car tolerable.

The average temperature in my car is usually lower than that and only achieved 122F on hottest day during clear sun. My car is under a porch with booth side received the most exposure to the sun. But it will eventually shadowed by the porch in the afternoon. Maybe I invest in monitoring thermometer that record readings and improvise from there.

burge

I have sweated tobacco in the car when it gets that hot with the lemon and really brings out the flavor of the tobacco. It's all good but watch for mold here our humidity levels are dry.

burge

With the lemon prime I put it in my tobacco can left it in the car for 6 hrs when done the tobacco was literally hot. Might get to 40-45 degrees celcius. As long as it is not left too long you can have some great tobacco. I think for me the key ingredient is having lots of moisture in the tobacco.

Leftynick

With the lemon prime I put it in my tobacco can left it in the car for 6 hrs when done the tobacco was literally hot. Might get to 40-45 degrees celcius. As long as it is not left too long you can have some great tobacco. I think for me the key ingredient is having lots of moisture in the tobacco.

yes, high humidity help a lot when I am kilning in my car. I used cardboard box on my dashboard to get a higher temperature than in my car booth. However, I still need to check every couple of day for mold. Higher temperature will make the moisture evaporate and if it touch the tobacco it will mold. I have very minor issues with mold this way and I just wipe it off. I add more moisture if the leaf started cracking when handled, usually once a week. After one month or when the tobacco smelled good, I take it out to rest for a week then started using it.

Careful on higher humidity and heat though, or you will end up with cavendish.

burge

Here we have very low humidity so the only moisture is in the tobacco. It was 26 or 27 degrees Celsius meaning in the car it would be 45 and in the tub which is madeof thick plastic the tobacco was almost too hot to touch. Once it cooled it was superb. I think the temperature is what is the most important. Mine was shredded Dons lemon and it had a amazing taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.