Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dry cure cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

I came across term of "dry cure cigar" yesterday and have extensively research it. It seems like the term used for non humidified cigar that very popular in European market. Cigar like Swiss's Villiger and Cafe Creme are some example of these "dry cure cigar", and apparently these are being sold in 7eleven in my country. The process of dry cure cigar include the final heating in the oven or air dry them until they are dry to the bone before packaging. Toscano cigar also made with the same process. However, from what I found, dry cigar loses some of the aromatic compound so it need to be made with stronger tasting tobacco, hence the Toscano cigar made exclusively with Kentucky dark fire cure as the fire curing process will add more flavor to the cigar. The dry condition also made the tobacco brittle thus limiting the size of the cigar to cigarillos or cheeroot size to avoid wrapper cracking. This kind of cigar popular in the Europe because the historically European tax tobacco by weight so it is some ways to reduce taxation on the cigar (water add weight).

My cigar experience is very limited. I have smoked only once humidified cigar in cigar lounge at duty free zone in my country, and my other cigar experience is convenience store cigar as it is cheap. 300% duty on tobacco plus the currency exchange made imported cigar really expensive. That's why I am eager to plant my own cigar tobacco, to get some taste of the premium product.

However, this dry cure cigar really caught my attention. Mainly because I don't have to humidify the stick so it will be easier for me to store my homegrown cigar. I know there are ways to store cigar in homemade humidor (tupperdor, cooledor) but I think the keeping humidity level and all is a bit much for me if it is a big batch. As you know from my grow log, I am not attention detailed person. Maybe, I will store some of my cigar in small homemade humidor for long time aging, keeping one or two sticks from each batch of grow. But for consumption, I think I want to store it like these dry cure cigar.

This bring in some questions, if I were to store some sticks as dry cure cigar, how long do you think it will be good for smoking? How big do you think will good for dry cure cigar before it will crack the wrapper? And my research on Kentucky dark fire cure doesn't reveal the variety of tobacco. Are these the same with Kentucky burley?

ChinaVoodoo

I don't think you have to worry too much about them cracking as, correct me if I'm wrong, the humidity in Malaysia is relatively constant. Any flexible leaf should do. Villiger wrapper is very thin. Toscano wrapper is thick. They have a bit of a shine to them. I don't know what it is, but maybe this helps keep it together as a solid unit.

Try an Avanti if you get a chance. (Anisette flavored Italian style cheroot.) Both sweet and strong.

I bought cheroots in Pondicherry. They were packed really tightly in a bundle and there was mold in between them which could be wiped off. Not one was damaged out of 200. They were oddly tasting though, for some other reason, and I questioned the processing methods, so I left therm on the street for whoever might want them.
DSC_0075.jpg

Leftynick

I don't think you have to worry too much about them cracking as, correct me if I'm wrong, the humidity in Malaysia is relatively constant. Any flexible leaf should do. Villiger wrapper is very thin. Toscano wrapper is thick. They have a bit of a shine to them. I don't know what it is, but maybe this helps keep it together as a solid unit.

Try an Avanti if you get a chance. (Anisette flavored Italian style cheroot.) Both sweet and strong.

I bought cheroots in Pondicherry. They were packed really tightly in a bundle and there was mold in between them which could be wiped off. Not one was damaged out of 200. They were oddly tasting though, for some other reason, and I questioned the processing methods, so I left therm on the street for whoever might want them.
View attachment 20052

Wow, that's some rustic looking cheroot. I have tried some Indian cheroot before, not my taste. I think some of them were mixed with betel leaves as it does have betel aroma to them.

Humidity in Malaysia is relatively constant but too high. The average here is 80%, that is why I always have problem with mold. Drying and storing in airtight container seems to be good idea for me. If I want a humidified cigar, I just put the stick in room ambiance and it will come to suitable moisture to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.