Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Oriental Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

From what I've read and from pictures I've seen the oriental plant grows much smaller than the bright leaf or burley. I saw where Bob has posted that you can expect anywhere from 3-5oz of pipe tobacco from your plants on average. Since the oriental is significantly smaller should I expect less than 3oz per plant? As it stands I should have about 5 different types of oriental. I'd like to get an idea of how much I may expect to get per plant considering there are no real problems. Knowing the average should help me figure out how many I would like to put out per strain.

List of orientals

Bursa
Duzce
Perique
Yenidje
Dubek

Also, from what I've read these can pretty much be set out spaced at 12-16inches. If any of you guys suggest different. Please let me know. Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
GRIN calls Perique an Oriental. It's not. It is a vigorous plant with high productivity. Plant with American spacing.

For all the actual Orientals, if you plant them at American spacing (2-3' between plants), then they will often reach 6' or more, with medium-size leaves, though Bursa seems to produce a larger leaf. If, instead, you plant them at 6-12" spacing, which is common for most Orientals, you'll get better tasting, more aromatic leaf, but the leaves will be small. The dense spacing somewhat makes up for the small leaves, in terms of production per square foot. Production per closely spaced Oriental plant is rather minuscule.

Bob

EDIT: I squeeze about 22 small Oriental plants (like Yenidje or Xanthi) into a 3' x 5' area, spaced in staggered rows (6:5:6:5).

greenmonster714

I labeled the perique as a oriental via the GRIN. Thanks for letting me know how to space them. I don't plan on doing the perique technique with them. I just want to grow them out. Do they air dry okay?

About that 22 plants in that 3x5 area. How much do you yield off of that?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I plant most of my Turkish varieties at about 6 inches. Last year's yield for Yenidje was slightly less than 1 ounce per plant.
I've sun cured and air cured and never really noticed a difference with Turkish. There should be though because Turkish contains a fair amount of sugar ( about half of what a Virginia contains).

Status
Not open for further replies.